hughes satellite installation

eltejano

Greetings:

I live in a rural area of Texas with antiquated phone lines that will not carry hi-speed internet. My Earthlink dial-up runs at 26.4Kbps - usable only for text material like this. I am considering Hughes satellite internet. Wild Blue is not currently available in my zip code. I am retired and monthly cost is a factor - but I'm not worried about one-time initial installation costs and don't want to scrimp on that. I want the best equipment I can buy while staying within the $60/month cost.

I need some independent advice to confirm what my local dealer (who doesn't seem all that knowledgeable to me  :azn:) is saying. So here's the situation:

I have two houses, about 200 feet apart, that I need to serve. My dealer says I can use a wireless router from the computer in the main house to a properly equipped laptop in the guest house. Both buildings have wood siding and drywall interiors. Before I commit to this I want to make absolutely sure it will work. If it doesn't work in both structures, it's useless to me - and I can't afford a high monthly bill for a commercial system. My kids won't come to visit because they can't get the internet!

The location of the dish will be about halfway between these two buildings where there's a clear area through the trees. I need the magnetic azimuth and elevation of the satellite for zip code 75979 to make sure, but I can't find the coordinates on the web.  I'll set the post myself before the installer comes. I may have to cut down some trees, so I need to know the coordinates.

I'm skeptical about this wifi setup, given the distance, and would prefer to use a splitter at the dish (the laptop in the guest house and the PC in the main house will NOT be used at the same time) and run the dual coaxial cable to each building separately, each with it's own modem. Will Hughes sell me an additional modem without raising the monthly costs - since it will still be a "one computer at a time" installation?

My dealer seems overly anxious to make the sale and I really need some outside advice on this installation. Thanks very much.

Jack Ellis

Woodville, Texas

Thanks Tommie.  That's a good idea and I can do it myself after installation if the wireless router doesn't work. Just a matter of a regular coaxial splitter (or two, since it uses a dual RG6 cable for receive and send) and running another cable from the dish to the guest house. I guess it will take a regular splitter like we use on our sat tv cables, huh?

I'm worried that it's too far for wifi, but I'll try that first. As long as I'll have the option of running another cable, and if I know for sure that I can get an additional modem if I need it, I'll go ahead and get it installed. 

I'm having a little trouble getting this past my wife of 40 years :smile2: I promised her I'd stay within that $60/mo basic service - but made no promises on initial equipment costs. :grin2:

Jack

If you were going to run the second Satellite cable anyways, How about 'just' run a 'good' Ethernet cable from the router in the main house out to the guest house? You would just have to measure the distance from router to other computer and check for maximum distance you can run without any loss of signal.

And you want Spaceway3 as your satellite(HN 9000 modem, KA band. 95 degree west Longitude). If the satellite is too low for you , then they will put you on a KU band satellite if a elevation issue with the trees.

This is neat to see it's position of the Spaceway 3.

http://www.n2yo.com/?s=32018

EDIT: And remember with kids, your maximum daily(24 hours) of data transfer. If you go over, you will be sent to dialup speeds basement for abouts 24 hours..

Yeah -- the ethernet cable would be the way to go. I've stepped-off the distance - + or - 200 feet. What would I do with the second ethernet cable at the main modem box in the house? A splitter? Where can I find data on max distances for ethernet cables?

Thanks for your help and Happy New Year.

Jack

I have one teenage grandaughter who might download too much data - my son and his wife just use it to keep up with business and correspondence. I'll lay down some rules for my grandaughter -no movies, music or games. Youtube and Myspace are okay.  :angel:

YouTube!!!! Careful on file sizes. Lets say that each video could be 10MB's or maybe 20MB's if high definition file.. And some people watch 3 videos per session.

There is the FAP free period between 3 am and 6 am eastern time for your larger updates.

http://go.gethughesnet.com/faq/1_06faq.cfm?hf=0

Ethernet cable lengths. But there is probably someone here who's knows how far you really can go before the signal starts to degrade.

http://www.duxcw.com/faq/network/cablng.htm

http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/maximum-cable-length.asp

What would I do with the second Ethernet cable at the main modem box in the house? A splitter?

A Wired Router off of the Satellite modem. Ya never know if you want to have both going at once, for checking email... Or a combo Wireless with Wired router, but turn off the wireless cause some people have been bitten on the FAP by mooching neighbors..

And with the router, you may be able to throttle the second systems speed to avoid hitting the FAP quick.

Thanks Tommie.  That's a good idea and I can do it myself after installation if the wireless router doesn't work. Just a matter of a regular coaxial splitter (or two, since it uses a dual RG6 cable for receive and send) and running another cable from the dish to the guest house. I guess it will take a regular splitter like we use on our sat tv cables, huh?

I'm worried that it's too far for wifi, but I'll try that first. As long as I'll have the option of running another cable, and if I know for sure that I can get an additional modem if I need it, I'll go ahead and get it installed. 

I'm having a little trouble getting this past my wife of 40 years :smile2: I promised her I'd stay within that $60/mo basic service - but made no promises on initial equipment costs. :grin2:

Jack

Shouldn't have any problem finding what you need there.

Yeah -- the ethernet cable would be the way to go. I've stepped-off the distance - + or - 200 feet. What would I do with the second ethernet cable at the main modem box in the house? A splitter? Where can I find data on max distances for ethernet cables?

Thanks for your help and Happy New Year.

Jack

I have one teenage grandaughter who might download too much data - my son and his wife just use it to keep up with business and correspondence. I'll lay down some rules for my grandaughter -no movies, music or games. Youtube and Myspace are okay.  :angel:

Youtube will eat a lot of bandwidth in a heartbeat

Thanks Zalternate everyone else - I got the info I need!

The ethernet networking cable can run to a max of 300', well within my requirements. The splitters are readily available everywhere. So, I'm ready to order the service and bury the 2" pipe in concrete.

Thanks again - I really appreciate it. I'll probably be back with problems after it's installed. :grin2:

Jack

The ethernet networking cable can run to a max of 300', well within my requirements. The splitters are readily available everywhere. So, I'm ready to order the service and bury the 2" pipe in concrete.

Thanks again - I really appreciate it. I'll probably be back with problems after it's installed. :grin2:

Jack

I'm not sure about what you mean about using a splitter. You can only use one modem per account, meaning you cannot use a splitters to run 2 modems from one satellite dish. You must know what satellite you will be on and only Hughes assigns that no matter what a dealer may say. I'm not up on current satellites since going to Sprint over a year ago. You cannot do your on install but you can set the pipe mount after you get an account with Hughes and know the satellite your on.

I did experiment with my system moving my dish locations at home, very sensitive adjustments and hard even understanding how to do it. Each move was aimed at the same satellite also. I did get better signal strength than my installer though. My last dish move (with a DW7000) was 300 miles away and I hit it right on and is still working from a year and a half ago. Good Luck.

Hi Grandpa

I'm talking about splitting the ethernet cable at the modem, with one line to my PC and running the other line in conduit to the guest house. With more research on the web, I'm realizing that there are other options - like an outdoor wireless router - or an outside directional antennae pointed right at the guest house. Of course the wifi router would have to have an external antenna jack to support that.  When I get the installer over here I can ask him about all this stuff and maybe be able to ask intelligent questions.

I've had a lot of experience aiming tv dishes. We RV'ed for several years, until diesel fuel hit 4 bucks :-) and I got so good at it that I could often setup the portable dish without the compass or satellite finder! I imagine the internet is more precise, though.

Jack

Hi Grandpa

I'm talking about splitting the ethernet cable at the modem, with one line to my PC and running the other line in conduit to the guest house. With more research on the web, I'm realizing that there are other options - like an outdoor wireless router - or an outside directional antennae pointed right at the guest house. Of course the wifi router would have to have an external antenna jack to support that.  When I get the installer over here I can ask him about all this stuff and maybe be able to ask intelligent questions.

I've had a lot of experience aiming tv dishes. We RV'ed for several years, until diesel fuel hit 4 bucks :-) and I got so good at it that I could often setup the portable dish without the compass or satellite finder! I imagine the internet is more precise, though.

Jack

Your right, transmitting makes it more precise and the larger the dish also. I found it best to use a switch connected to the modem if you don't want to use a wireless router (can also double as a switch). It also adds more connectivity plus they can be added in down the line extending your networking distance (footage).

I'm not sure I follow that, Granpa. If I use a switch instead of a splitter, then if someone in the guest house wants to go online they'll have to come over here and turn on the switch - right? At least that's how it is with a tv switch.

And if they're on line in the guest house, and I throw the switch to use this computer, I'll cut them off!

I'm not sure I follow that, Granpa. If I use a switch instead of a splitter, then if someone in the guest house wants to go online they'll have to come over here and turn on the switch - right? At least that's how it is with a tv switch.

And if they're on line in the guest house, and I throw the switch to use this computer, I'll cut them off!

This is a network switch not a TV switch. It automatically routes computers on a network. I think your research is yet to continue.

Jack

Here is a site that has much of the information that you need and I had to find out before it became FAQ's

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/satellite

just looked seems im at 80 deg 24.6 min west is this bad ? whats the diffrence im paying for 1..2 mb and from the speed tests it comes and goes 1.1-1.3 mbps and the up stays at a consistant 24 KBps

is there a cablenut tweak version that works best with hughes? 

• 3 months later...

I know this is late to come down the pipe but all you need is a $30 network hub, just run an ethernet cable to the internet port on the hub and then an ethernet cable for each computer from the hub to each computer you want to access the net and thats it if you are running vista on all computers. If you have xp on any of them you will need to run the network set up wizard on those but after that all computers hooked to the hub can access the net at the same time anytime.

• CA3LE locked this topic