New here and have Wildblue

Lisa413

:cry: I'm waiting on a service call as I write this. What a great site! I'll find an appropriate thread to post in after the service call. Only getting about .8 speed; supposed to get 1.5. I use a router but that's not the trouble. I don't have a very complicated setup. One laptop, one desktop, one wireless printer (all HP) and a linksys router.

Oh, how I wish I could have true high speed. Even when testing shows 1.5, Wildblue is still slow to load pages. But that's the trade off for living in the boondocks!

I've got a lot to learn and am so glad to have this resource with so many learned members!

Lisa

Yes satelite is always slow Lisa, it has to bounce 20000+ feet in the air and return. So there is the big slowdown that can not be beat. Best of luck with the tech call. But you might also try directly to the modem for the speed test. And if it is faster, it could very well be the router.

Welcome to the forum.  :smiley:

Yes satelite is always slow Lisa, it has to bounce 20000+ feet in the air and return.

But you are forgetting the software(DAMA) that slows it down more. Instead of a 650ms ping. You get a 1100ms ping.  

But on the bright side it does get more people visiting forums to find out why the connection is so dang slow.  :cool: And then the cursing begins.  :evil2:  As the information about satellite to the lowly home users comes to light.

DAMA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demand_Assigned_Multiple_Access

Simple wording is... Instead of having your own bandwidth waiting while you read the latest webpage issues of Cats of the Internet, The bandwidth goes somewhere else and you have to call the bandwidth back when you are ready to get the next webpage.

• 1 month later...

:cry: I'm waiting on a service call as I write this. What a great site! I'll find an appropriate thread to post in after the service call. Only getting about .8 speed; supposed to get 1.5. I use a router but that's not the trouble. I don't have a very complicated setup. One laptop, one desktop, one wireless printer (all HP) and a linksys router.

Oh, how I wish I could have true high speed. Even when testing shows 1.5, Wildblue is still slow to load pages. But that's the trade off for living in the boondocks!

I've got a lot to learn and am so glad to have this resource with so many learned members!

Lisa

Hey Lisa, Try using open DNS. It will help you load pages a little faster.

http://www.opendns.com/

Lisa

Your going to find that during "peak hours" of  the day your speed will decrease, try testing different times throughout the day to see if you still have the same speed issues. You also could just be on a congested gateway.

Hey Lisa,

I have Wildblue also and if I take my router off I get speeds in excess of !MB, put the router back on and it goes to 400-500kbs. Also I have found out if I test one minute it may be over 1Mbs and the next time two minutes later it is in the 600Kbs. I have called and talked to them and still have not got a god answer. I am looking forward to what they tell you. they have replaced modem three times , wiring twice and the antenna guts three times. It works fine for a couple days and then slowly slides off. Good Luck.

• 5 months later...

Hey Lisa,

I have Wildblue also and if I take my router off I get speeds in excess of !MB, put the router back on and it goes to 400-500kbs. Also I have found out if I test one minute it may be over 1Mbs and the next time two minutes later it is in the 600Kbs. I have called and talked to them and still have not got a god answer. I am looking forward to what they tell you. they have replaced modem three times , wiring twice and the antenna guts three times. It works fine for a couple days and then slowly slides off. Good Luck.

Well this is scary as the  :evil2: !  I just had W.B. installed. Would you please tell me which router do you use?

Thanks,

Jae

Hi tommie, thanks for the reply. We did check it bypassing the router. Same result.

Hey Lisa,

It's been awhile and i'm wondering how WB is doing? i just had it installed and i'm router shopping. Could you tell me which router you are using & if you are still having good luck w/it?

Thanks,

Jae