Windows 7 Beta1 (Official)

coknuck

If your interested in trying the new system Microsoft has open the download period to 1/24/09. You need a live account or hotmail account to download. Also you need to use IE, FF didn't let me do it. At the time you download you will get a key. On this link is a "Try the Beta" click on that and follow the instructions. A word to the wise do a clean install. I partitioned my C drive and installed it there. Unless you have 4GB+ of ram I would recommend getting the 32bit version over the 64bit.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/default.aspx

g

i've been using it and i'm really impressed. It uses the same and or less resources than a clean vista install. The start-up time is about 15sec shorter but then even when i get to the desktop, i can load up ie and get to a web page quicker and snappier than in vista right after start up. Also the new taskbar and window switching interface is actually useful unlike flip 3d which i haven't used once expect to see how fast i could make the windows flow.

Wonder if they fixed the boot problems that vista and xp had ? Anyone know?

Xp had a boot problem ? ,  never saw that myself , I run a mediocre AMD dual core 2.8  it loads in under 30 seconds , and don't need 4Gb of memory to haul its ass ,

Xp had a boot problem ? ,  never saw that myself , I run a mediocre AMD dual core 2.8  it loads in under 30 seconds , and don't need 4GB of memory to haul its ass ,

Lots of people when installing vista to dual boot with xp and the user could not get into xp due to the ntrdl is missing issue. Another problem was vista refusing to be put on the slave drive. (Dive D).  Just one of countless reasons I stayed away from vista. So Yea lots of problems I hope they fixed with this windows 7.

Hope one of you guys or gals can let me and others know if they fixed the problem or not.

Also the new taskbar and window switching interface is actually useful unlike flip 3d which i haven't used once expect to see how fast i could make the windows flow.

The new taskbar is ok, it has its limits tho. They are trying to turn it into a dock somewhat but they hit a wall because since they don't allow things to scale you can only have so many icons on the bottom before you start to get these stupid arrows that you have to use to scroll through things.

I like were they are going with it, but there are better ways they could do things. And Flip3D is the stupidest fucking thing Microsoft has come up with this decade.

I know W7 won't let you install it on a external HDD. I read one guy took his external drive out of its case and hooked it up internal and installed W7 but when he put it back in the external case it wouldn't work. :tickedoff:

WOW. Talk about PPT (petty power trip)  :roll: You should be able to  use as seen fit I'd think if it is yours.

WOW. Talk about PPT (petty power trip)  :roll: You should be able to  use as seen fit I'd think if it is yours.

That may just be a beta thing tommy. Keep the pirates from taking it, like thats gonna help  :uglystupid2:  Its already out there and already be hacked. As soon as this goes final the torrent sites are gonna get busy.

Because they already got vista's number I am sure it won't take long for windows 7 to hit the pirate sceen. If this thing works out good I am gonna buy a copy.

Got the Windows 7 Ultimate Beta.

Put it on a massively, totally, over whelmed machine.

HP Pavillion 7955 (about 8 or 9 years old).

1.5Ghz P4

512MB ram

Graphics card

New 160 GB hard drive. 7200 rpm

ZoneAlarm 8. won't work(missing DLL or something). ZoneAlarm 7. installed but shows no sign of working.(But I am behind a router anyways)..

Avast installed okay.

Is already way faster out of the box than the Vista Basic on the 1 year old Lenovo 1.8Ghz. With 1 gig of ram.

Also this box I had Ubuntu 8. on it and Windows 7 is less hard on the graphics rendering.

I actually like so far.

So when is the first Blue Screen of Death supposed to be?

Also this box I had Ubuntu 8. on it and Windows 7 is less hard on the graphics rendering.

Do you know what kind of graphics card you have/if you had the proprietary driver installed with Ubuntu (if there is one for your card, just curious)?  If you didn't do anything after install to set up graphics you had the default open source drivers, which work but sometimes they are slow even with 2d stuff.

Do you know what kind of graphics card you have/if you had the proprietary driver installed with Ubuntu (if there is one for your card, just curious)?  If you didn't do anything after install to set up graphics you had the default open source drivers, which work but sometimes they are slow even with 2d stuff.

I actually dumped Ubuntu out and put Window 7 on the whole drive. So whatever drivers came with. Windows update only gave me an audio controller.  But Ubuntu did offer a propitiatory graphics driver and a open source one. Did not notice any real difference between the two..

but the card's number is asus agp-v3800m/32m

1 in graphics and gaming graphics for 'system rating'..

1.9 in processor and ram.

5.7 in the hard disc.

I had a newer card in here with Ubuntu, but I put the card in my Mums machine last week when I rebuilt hers.

The AERO I don't think is on. I am on a default single theme.  But I like it this way. No fancy stuff. I still have to dig about in here a bit To see whats what.. Maybe I'll see if I can crash it.  :twisted:

I'm not sure why Sleep is grayed out though? Might be a bios thing. I do have Hibernate.

I actually dumped Ubuntu out and put Window 7 on the whole drive.

I figured you erased it, just curious.  That card is basic, I'd think with compiz off it would have been fairly fast/smooth/whatever.  Something lighter than Gnome would have worked better too.  I just wondered because I put Gnome on a similar spec'd machine and it did ok, but the graphics card was 64mb.  Much lighter than that I would put something different on, and not Ubuntu in any case.

# General Features:

# NVIDIA TNT2 M64 chipset

# 2D/3D Graphics

# 32 MB SDRAM

Right, aero wouldn't be on.

Windows 7 should be ok.  I don't use windows myself at all, but I've worked on systems for years.  I think Vista is ok by now, what I've looked at.  Since Windows 7 is basically the same, with just a few extra features, some fat trimmed and a ui change, and general fixes, it should be pretty good.  Some of the press is good, some think it should be more of a service pack for Vista.  I wouldn't pay for it though myself.  I can't download it and I'm not going to have anyone send me a copy, so I'll probably look at it after it comes out.

...and while I was typing this, here they go again.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7834792.stm

IF Microsofty had put an internal browser that was 100% separate from the Internet Exploder Browser(and security wise too), things might be more simple to just offer the user a choice of browsers Pre-Installed Or links to them.

Ubuntu will be having a new version in April anyways... Been trying it out and this windows 7(just today) to see which will be the next operating system for me. XP is my main box. And this box is more of a test machine right now. But it still has the power to do things for comparison(a little bit slow on Webpage loading).   But I was surprised Windows 7 worked on it.