{...Comcast 50/10 super slow with router...}

So heres what I have going on.  Just upgraded to comcasts 50/10 service, and using my router i'm only getting download speeds of something like 3-5mbps. ( which is worse than what I was getting with my old 8mbps service! )  When I bypass my router ( Linkys BEFSR81 ) I am able to get around advertised speeds. ( around 40ish mbps down ). 

I'm wondering whats up with the router to drop speeds so dramatically? I've tried updating the firmware and messing with the router settings but nothings really working. I've got everyone on the network setup with static ips and turned of all the firewalls and other crap.  Is there some kind of new standard or something that i'm not aware of and i need to research into getting a new router?  Any suggestions on router settings?

thanks

So no one has any info?  Am I asking the wrong questions?  I noticed the latest firmware is dated from 2004... Is it time for a new router?  I get about 4mbps down consistently on all computers, while my buddy is getting 8mbps consistently over the wireless. ( WRT54G which is hooked up thru the wired router ) What am I overlooking?

Thanks for the reply.  So I didn't have any throttling with QoS setup, and I only had the static ip's setup on the machines for port forwarding. I tried resetting everything to default and enabling UPnp but still no marked change. I've also disconnected all of my roommates computers to be sure bandwidth isn't being sucked up by downloading or anything when i'm doing the download test.

Also noticed that the link LED on my modem ( SB6120 ) is only blue when connected directly to my computer.  It flashes orange when when connected to the router.  The pamphlet that came from comcast says the blue light is for a Gigabit connection.  I know my NIC is gigabit, but does the router have to be?  I assumed it would be able to handle up to around 100mbps.  ( it does with my LAN traffic ) 

Anyone got any more suggestions, or places to look for information?

____Here's my speeds___

:::.. Connected to Router ..:::

Download Connection is:: 3149 Kbps about 3.1 Mbps (tested with 3064 kB)

Download Speed is:: 384 kB/s

Tested from a 3064 kB file and took 7.97 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 49.67 % of your hosts average (comcast.net)

:::.. Direct Connection ..:::

Download Connection is:: 33522 Kbps about 33.5 Mbps (tested with 51195 kB)

Download Speed is:: 4092 kB/s

Tested from a 51195 kB file and took 12.511 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 428.74 % faster than the average for host (comcast.net)

So started reading a bit about the DOCSIS 3.0 standard, and thinking maybe this has something to do with it.  Appears that that blue LINK light also indicates whether the connection is bonding channels.  Is there such a thing as having a DOCSIS 3 compatible router, or is this all taken care of by the modem?  Does the router have to be gigabit?

I logged into the modem, and it looks like its doing two channels. (channel ID 36 and 37 with a SNR of 36db each ) Is this showing that it is indeed doing channel bonding?  What should I be looking for?  Looks like each channel should be able to do 38mbps.

Sorry for all the questions, but I have found it really difficult to find any info regarding my problem. This is the best I got...

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20428169-Lets-keep-all-DOCSIS-30-Discussion-in-this-thread-please