makeing satellite internet faster

booge3211

i was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to get the most speed out of my satellite internet. as i can not get cable or even dsl where i live im forced to use satellite. i bought all new computers with 4gb of ram but i want more speed im a speed freak and i want more bang any ideas please let me know.

As far as tweaks are concerned, there pretty much aren't any. Wildblue and Hughesnet modems are self hosted, meaning any tweak you make on your end, only affects the connection between your computer/router, and the modem, not your connection to the internet.

Making sure that your hardware is setup correctly, is the best way to get the most out of it.  This would include dish-pointing, connector quality, and stuff like that. 

If you want more details on how to check your setup, visit http://www.dslreports.com/forum/sat~also=wildblue+starband 

thank you to all who answered my post.  this is a really good site and my speeds are 1.5 mbps on a good night.  i use wildblue internet in the usa.  its faster then what i was used to and i guess i was looking for to much. there advertised speed is 1.5 max connect so i guess im doing good. altho on any given time it varyes from .7mbps to 1.5 so im happy with it as long as it stays working.

thank you to all who answered my post.  this is a really good site and my speeds are 1.5 Mbps on a good night.  i use wildblue internet in the usa.  its faster then what i was used to and i guess i was looking for to much. there advertised speed is 1.5 max connect so i guess im doing good. altho on any given time it varyes from .7Mbps to 1.5 so im happy with it as long as it stays working.

Watch for that FAP (Fair Access Policy), I heard wildblue knock you off for a month if you abuse your bandwidth allotment within the month.

Its great to go fast, but going fast only makes you download quicker and quicker will get you to the FAP sooner.

Sorry, you probably know this but I like to inform...

Welcome to the forum by the way.

That Rolling FAP is a pain for new people at about two weeks in.... Can't remember if it is 12GB or 16GB of data transfer per month. :cry:  And then you get slowed down and have to wait about another two weeks till the usage variable drops below a certain percentage..Bla.Bla.Bla. And then back to normal speeds again. WildBlue does have a FAP usage page for you to use. But may be delayed by a few hours in results.

From what I've read, your speeds variation are about the normal now on some beams.