wireless router problem

this problem is driving me crazy, i have searched all over the net to resolve this bullshit, i even did a hard reset for the router, and its still not working.

my wired computer internet is working fine, and its connected through the router.  it wasn't working, but when i reset the modem, the wireless now does not work, and this one does.

my wireless computer says it has a full internet connection, but in reality it doesn't.  it connects to the router, the lights are on, but there is no internet activity going on.

i did a hard reset on the router, and popped in the CD to set the password up and all that.  but now it won't take the password i used, and it won't take the default password for the linsys router, which is 'admin'.

when i type in the IP address of the router to configure it that way, the page does not load, it always says connection timed out.

i'm about to break this stupid thing.  does anyone know whats wrong with it?

Try uninstalling everything to do with Linksys on your laptop. then go to my computer /click on C disk / click on program files  / delete linksys files that are left. This way you can make sure it is completely removed.  Then try reinstalling it .

this is whwat im trying to do

# Open a web browser (such as Internet Explorer or Netscape)

# When the browser opens, go to the "Address" bar and input the IP address of the Wireless Router (The default IP Address is 192.168.1.1).

# A "User Name" and "Password" prompt will appear, leave the "User Name" field blank and input the Wireless Routers password (The default password of a Linksys Router is admin) into the "Password" field.

it never prompts for a user name and pasword. it just doesn't load the page, it says this

Connection Interrupted

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again.

If you got the original setup disk. I would uninstall and then  go to program files and delete linksys files. You don't want to reinstall to a corrupt folder. It wouldn't hurt to go into the registry and delete everything that has to do with the router. Now you will have a clean install when your done.

There's a program called Revo Uninstaller that removes all registry entrys when you do an uninstall,it is way better than the Windows add and remove programs in control panel.You can get it at CNET,save it on some kind of media then take over to your laptop and install it then remove the Linksys program.

You did not say which OS you are running on the laptop. If it is Vista look in Network and Sharing Center and tell us what it is saying. My laptop which is Vista shows my wireless connection and the signal strength and allow me to view the status of my connection.  If it is XP look in Network Connections and click on that link for your wireless connection, it should then show you the properties of your wireless connection.

Do manual setup

- disable wireless icon

- hardwire your laptop to the router

- check LAN IP should be 192.168.1.1 (if not keep on resetting or power cycle)

- you should be able to access your router page this time

- reconfigure your router using Automatic DHCP (cable ISP: might need to clone MAC) or PPPoE (DSL)

- checked status tab (you should get modems IP, default and DNS)

- this time you should be able to browse via hardwired connection

- go back to router page and set up wireless SSID and security

- don't forget to save settings

- unplugged LAN cable and reenable wireless

- scan wireless network (router WLAN light should be blinking)

- connect to your network and type your key

- checked WLAN IP when connected (should be in range of router)

- wireless connetion shoud be successful (if not ping 192.168.1.1 in DOS prompt)

ok this is an easy one if you are using windows xp go to control panel make sure that you see icons go to the network connections right click on your connection which should be lan or wan go down to where it says properties you will see some protocols go down to ivp4 click properties it will say optain ip address automatically select the option for user defind type in the following..................IP ADDRESS........192.168.1.1.......SUBNET MASK.........CLICK ON IT ONCE AND IT WILL FILL IN THEN TYPE.........................FOR DEFAULT GATEWAY..............192.168.1.2 DONT BOTHER WITH THE DNS CLICK OK ON EVERY THING GO INTERNET EXPLORER AND TYPE IN 192.168.1.1 SEE IF THAT WORKS  GOOD LUCK

i got pissed after calling the linksys support line, and just kept it offline for a few days.  now my desktop pc doesn't even work with the router while its plugged in directly.  it's friday now and i'm in a better mood, so tonight i will go through your suggestions and try them out.

thanks a lot for all your help guys, i will let you know how it works out!

p.s. i am using windows xp on both comps

Put the PC withing the same subnet as shown and try it......  also check to see if the router is handling DHCP by Start/Run type cmd....hit enter.... type          ipconfig/all  and see if its giving a IP

Take a look @ the picture iv'e provided.setup your Ethernet NIC to the same as whats in the picture.

ok this is an easy one if you are using windows xp go to control panel make sure that you see icons go to the network connections right click on your connection which should be lan or wan go down to where it says properties you will see some protocols go down to ivp4 click properties it will say optain ip address automatically select the option for user defind type in the following..................IP ADDRESS........192.168.1.1.......SUBNET MASK.........CLICK ON IT ONCE AND IT WILL FILL IN THEN TYPE.........................FOR DEFAULT GATEWAY..............192.168.1.2 DONT BOTHER WITH THE DNS CLICK OK ON EVERY THING GO INTERNET EXPLORER AND TYPE IN 192.168.1.1 SEE IF THAT WORKS  GOOD LUCK

this didn't work either.  now my router isn't working even with a LAN connection, no matter what settings i have it on.