wireless router problem

try the Above #24 post first then this.

Step1Take the Router in hand with NO CABLES attached other than the Power.

Step2Find the reset button your Linksys router. Most Linksys models have the reset option on the back of the router.

Step3Use a pointed pen or pencil to press in the reset button on your Linksys router. Make sure you don't slip off the tiny button or this won't work

Step4Hold down the reset button for approximately 30 seconds. Do step 4 again.

Step5Watch the lights on the front of the router. After you reset the router, power will get restored to the Linksys router. Once power's available, you can switch the modem back on.

Step6Reconfigure your router. After you reset your router, you'll have to log in and reconfigure your settings. The login name is typically left empty with your password as "admin."

ugh, i been through the linksys support line 2 times, they managed to fix it for about 2 minutes the second time.  it still doesn't work with wireless or wired.

now i have some sort of virus or malware on my computer, every time i run a virus scan it freezes halfway through with avast!.  nothing else picks up anything malicious.  im about to just give up and buy a new router, then reformat the computer.

So...... if you were able to do a Firmware update you can access the routers interrface. via 192.168.1.1 >???

On older LinkSys routers, the default username is blank and the default password is "admin." On newer Linksys routers, both the default username and the default password are set to "admin."

check polarcloud.com and see if that particular router can take Tomato Firmware......if it can you'll be much happier.

You have a simple IP conflict, thats all. 

First, disconnect the cat 5 from the modem to the router, do a manual reset on your modem( if it is cable) you should be able to do this within the modem config page.

If you have done a full reset on the router, ( make sure to hold in the reset button for at least one minute just to be sure), then immediately unplug the device from power for at least 15 minutes.

While your waiting , go into both machines and delete all and any connections. 

Go into device manager, and un install any and all network devices ( make sure you have the drivers on hand before doing this ) it can be a real pain to get a driver w/o a connection lol )

Do your restarts, and follow the instructions for installing the devices when prompted to by windows.

Plug the modem back in, wait till your connection is established.

Make sure you connect the cat 5 to the modem, then power up the router.

Once the router gets an IP from the modem, power up one machine only.  You should be assigned an IP, and have your connection.

Then do your wireless thing.

the weird thing is, my laptop says its connected to the wireless router, and the router isn't even plugged in to the modem.

You will have a connection if the router is configured properly, no matter what if anything the router is plugged into.