Comcast Inconsistancy

maduce

I just joined these forums in hopes of getting some comments and maybe insight into the inconsistency in connection speeds for Comcast High Speed Internet (or maybe - "Sometimes High Speed Internet"). Here are two test scores from this web site from the past 36 hours for my Comcast connection. I have the "regular" Comcast service which, I think is 8 Mbps plus a "power boost". I started this because I thought that it might be in my interest to go to an even higher speed connection for about $10/month. More personal stuff about me is posted today in the New Members forum.

Speed Test 1/27/09 about 3:00PM (EST)-

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 8636 Kbps about 8.6 Mbps (tested with 12288 kB)

Download Speed is:: 1054 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Main)

Test Time:: 2009/01/27 - 2:03pm

Bottom Line:: 151X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 0.97 sec

Tested from a 12288 kB file and took 11.656 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 36.3 % faster than the average for host (comcast.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-3BL1WTZVY

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_6; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.27.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.2.1 Safari/525.27.1 [!]

Test 5:30 PM (EST) 1/28 (Today)

Download Connection is:: 493 Kbps about 0.5 Mbps (tested with 6152 kB)

Download Speed is:: 60 kB/s

Test Time:: 2009/01/28 - 4:20pm

Bottom Line:: 9X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 17.07 sec

Tested from a 6152 kB file and took 102.318 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 7.78 % of your hosts average (comcast.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-JD63XRLOS

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_6; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.27.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.2.1 Safari/525.27.1 [!]

From AWSOME to AWFUL in a day! Actually, I ran a test only 3 hours before the 0.5 Mbps result which was 6.7 Mbps with a second computer online on my home network (wireless).

A later test tonight resulted in 0 (zero) connection speed since the test page failed to load completely and the test stopped at 89% of complete. I have, of course, contacted Comcast customer service for an explanation, but so far, I only have the usual boilerplate responses. Comcast is probably limiting bandwidth for some reason and my concern is that they are placing a limit as well on my personal bandwidth and limiting download sizes - which they say they are not. I am a little frustrated to say the least!

I would appreciate any comments on this and like to know if anyone has experience with Comcast bandwidth limits.

I have Comcast here in NJ. I have the same problem with inconsistency. The cause of the problem for me is there is just to many people on the same line. I get good speed late at night, into early morning ,then my speed just drops. The only other thing I can tell you is to check all of your cables / cable splitters / cable connection to make sure none are damage or loose. If you can try hooking the computer modem to the  main cable line coming into the house without any splitter and see if your speed stabilize. Also see if you can get Comcast to check the line going from the house to the pole [ Junction box ]by the road. If they come inside the house and find a problem with the house wiring they might charge you for there time, so make sure everything in the house is good working condition.

Update on Comcast speed - after five hours of slower and slower speeds - at 9:30 PM I used the CNET Bandwidth Meter to measure a connection speed of 127 Kbps (just above dial-up). I couldn't use the test on this site since it wouldn't load to complete the test. At  around 10:30 PM speed had returned without any notice (of course) and the latest test produced an 8.3 Kbps connection and 1018 Kbps download. I am still hopeful to get some kind of explanation from Comcast about the vast fluctuation in bandwidth over the last 48 hours.

Buntz - Thanks for the input. I expected to find this sort of fluctuation too, but so far there seems to be no pattern - I measured very slow at midnight a few days ago. Comcast has checked and replaced cables outside a couple of times, but maybe I should get them to check this again, since there is some exposure to damage. Inside the cables are minimal since the wireless router is next to the modem and the cable entry point. I did reset my modem tonight, but there was no indication that this could have been the problem. Comcast does (I think) reduce bandwidth at peak service times, but the reduction couldn't be that much - from 8+ Mbps to 127 Kbps!  Your very fast speed includes power boost and the upgraded service from Comcast? I think that I have power boost too, but I hesitate in getting the upgraded speed given the vast bandwidth fluctuations. Comcast says that they haven't put any restriction on my personal bandwidth - but I'm not sure. I don't trust them, I guess.

Yes, my test was done at 3:45 AM that is why it is so high. Doing the day the download speed can drop down as low as 2000 Kbps. My upload speed usually does pretty good, it stay from 1000 to 1500 Kbps. I am on the BLast plan, which is suppose to be one better then the normal plan. I would not recommend going to a higher plan in till Comcast figures out what is wrong with your connection. You will be just throwing money away. They probably have a problem with one of there lines or junction boxes and can't find it.

Just did a speed test , this is on my Windows 7 computer. It's a beta OS,but it did not do too bad. Uploads are a little low. It's 11:30 Pm

:::.. testmy.net test results ..:::

Download Connection is:: 8646 Kbps about 8.65 Mbps (tested with 12288 kB)

Download Speed is:: 1055 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 875 Kbps about 0.9 Mbps (tested with 1496 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 107 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net (Main)

Test Time:: 2009/01/28 - 10:28pm

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-8OX9K5SV1

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-HPWBF1IXM

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.5) Gecko/2008120122 Firefox/3.0.5 [!]

Buntz - Thanks, Since I posted I got two emails from Comcast - one offering a service tech - one wanting me to chat or to call (I'll probably call tomorrow). Meanwhile I contacted M-Lab (this site went online today  http://www.measurementlab.net/).  This is a consortium site generally aimed at protecting web neutrality (Google seems to be main driver). Comcast is in court at the moment about restricting BitTorrent traffic (I don't use this) and the M-Lab site looks like it is for much more technical people than me. However, I offered my experience with Comcast as a possible case of bandwidth restriction. It probably will go nowhere, but who knows. Meanwhile, if there is a physical problem (damaged line, modem problem, etc.) the Comcast  tech will find it. The techs are often pretty candid about what's really going on. I couldn't test again now because the testmy.net large bandwidth test isn't working. This is CNET news on M-Lab:  http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10152117-38.html  PS- I have a MacBook OSX 10.5 etc. - gave up on PC after many years of problems.

After complaining to Comcast - and it's 4:00 AM here - this is another test result - beyond where I am supposed to be - I just have regular Comcast service (no Blast). So in one day from 127 Kbps to 13.9 Mbps, with no change or explanation from Comcast!? A little hard to believe, but I guess this is the real speed when the network is free of traffic or is Comcast doing something I don't know about??

Download Connection is:: 13923 Kbps about 13.9 Mbps (tested with 12288 kB)

Download Speed is:: 1700 kB/s

Test Time:: 2009/01/29 - 3:06am

Bottom Line:: 243X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 0.6 sec

Tested from a 12288 kB file and took 7.23 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 119.64 % faster than the average for host (comcast.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-K7S3OM2YJ

Test today and last 36 hours of testing and performance all have yielded consistent scores of above 11 Mbps (mostly over 13 Mbps) connection speed! After a message sent to the new M-lab site and one last message to Comcast Customer Service, everything changed! My speed went way up (to the present level) and yesterday (1/30) I received multiple emails and one phone call from Comcast executives who were "very concerned" about my connection problems. I also got a response from M-Lab (who passed on the message sent to them to Comcast Management). The phone call was from a Jacksonville-based member of the Comcast "executive team" who arranged for a tech to come to my home Monday (2/02). I expect that my modem will get replaced to support the possibility that something was technically wrong that was beyond Comcast's control. I have also used the Comcast test site to confirm the numbers from here:  http://speedtest.comcast.net/  The information provided on the testmy.com site is much more detailed, but for Comcast customers, the beta site is a fast check. It provides alternate locations to measure from (I used Atlanta - the closest to me), which should be (and is) a little faster than the testmy.net test due to distance. In communicating with both M-Lab and Comcast, I pointed out the ambiguity in the Comcast "Network Management" policy that could lead people to believe Comcast is reducing speed and cutting off customers for using more than "70% of their bandwidth for 15 minutes" when the network is "becoming congested". For anyone interested, here is a link to the Comcast "Network Management" FAQ's page:

http://help.comcast.net/content/faq/Frequently-Asked-Questions-about-Network-Management#how

I will see how this comes out next week, but I seem to have gotten a lot more speed by complaining. I also found out that the Google-led watchdog consortium (M-Lab) is working very closely with Comcast, when they are labeled as opposing litigants in the media. However, my issue and complaint that Comcast might be misusing "network management", which is an admission of inadequate capacity to start with, struck a nerve. I hope it is a small gesture in support of neutral Internet access.

Very interesting I used the test link you posted I wonder what test they are using I normally check my internet speeds about once or twice a week just for kicks as i seem to have no use issues and with testmy.net tests i get 10 down and 3 or so up. and with the comcast one i get 15 down and 8 up funny thing is with all the tests ive done even with 100 meg files i never have gotten that high I believe that comcast test to be not as truthful as you may think.

I took off my sig speed post because it was before they did the upgrade and the speeds were a lot slower i know get about 12 down and 3 up which is ok for me I also notice they have some stuff set up for anyone who uses alot of bandwidth they can shut down the amount of your speed or once they totally disconnected my connection when i was

uploading and downloadins some pics and videos.

spudler_t - The Comcast Test score (down) was about the same as the testmy.net score for me. Also, the Comcast Speed test doesn't provide any file size, etc. like the one on this site. I have been using the 12 Mb file size for my testing to be consistent. I will try the larger files which will probably produce a slower speed.  I'm not sure how all the various speed tests relate anyway. My connection has improved, but whether or not Comcast is reducing bandwidth or just plain shutting an individual off  (see the FAQ's page - they have a 70% of usage for 15 minutes limit when the network is "becoming congested") cannot be known by the end user. Even the limit they state is qualified and as bandwidth is reduced, the closer a given user would come to the 70% usage for 15 minutes rule. Plus the terms "congested" and "network" are not defined - this is totally at the discretion of Comcast.  The "Network Management" policy is ambiguous and always gives Comcast an out - I have experienced this already - of implying that there is some technical problem with your equipment. They have already said that my modem (a Motorola SB4100, which belongs to Comcast anyway) may be the problem that causes inconsistent speeds. As for an upgrade, in my case there has been no upgrade, just a sudden jump in speed.

I can't help but think that individual residential customers who consistently download (view) online video or transfer large video files are targeted by the "Network Management Technique" program as repeat offenders and any time that video files (for example) exceed the 15 minute arbitrary limit, they are cut off regardless of whether 70% of bandwidth is being used or not. One thing I am missing (since I am not tech person) is the amount of bandwidth various downloads actually use - 50 Kbps? - 100 Kbps - 200 Kbps - or ?? If you have some rule of thumb on this I would appreciate knowing it.

The "Network Management" policy is actually a way to reduce pressure on Comcast to increase capacity. But if the Federal Government decides to subsidize cable companies' expansion of capacity to  increase individuals access to high speed Internet connections, Comcast will be in the front of the line with a hand out.

My cable connection went out last night around midnight. I got up this morning and it was back on again. That is a rare ,usually the connection is inconsistent ,but the one thing I can say about Comcast is it always working.

So I did the duel test, to check out my connection. I have the Blast plan. During the day I am lucky to hit 6000 Kbps for download speed. Upload speed never went above 1554 Kbps before at anytime of the day or night.

Download Connection is:: 16495 Kbps about 16.5 Mbps (tested with 25600 kB)

Download Speed is:: 2014 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 2008 Kbps about 2 Mbps (tested with 5983 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 245 kB/s

Test Time:: 2009/02/03 - 10:28am

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-M58G1ANL0

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-VZS8JWPUF

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.0.5) Gecko/2008120122 Firefox/3.0.5 [!]

This is on a Vista computer at 10:30 AM [ usually not a good time for me to do a speedtest ] . I hope Comcast can keep these number consistent all day, they have not been able to before.

On Monday, 2/02/09 around 2:00PM a tech from Comcast came to my home. He immediately said "A Motorola SB4100! I haven't seen one of those for years! These won 't even accept the current software updates!". As I predicted he installed a new modem - an RCA, I'll check on the model number. He was confused by my setup, since I don't think he had ever worked on a wireless only Mac - my MacBook has never been configured using ethernet directly. However, setup went fine when done wirelessly. Although the Comcast Atlanta hub didn't seem to be working, the other hubs were OK and speeds yesterday ON THE COMCAST SPEED TEST were very high (over 20 Mbps). The tech also said that it would take at least 3 hours to get all the software updates into the new modem, Yesterday evening, I started running the testmy.net speed tests again and they were about the same as with the old modem. Last night, they were substantially slower. Test scores also varied according to the file size I chose and the initial load speed. If the file chosen (12 Mb) downloads at just over the minimum, so that it isn't kicked up to the larger file size, speed is fast. If the file downloads under the 7 second limit and is kicked up to the next size, speed is a lot slower.

This is likely due to the Comcast "Power Boost" speeds up performance in the initial seconds of a download, then returns to normal. This makes small files (most of what we do on the Internet) very fast, but doesn't do much for large files. The Comcast test must use somewhat smaller file sizes and produces very high numbers compared to the testmy.net test. Today, results still show that speed for me has not changed much.

Download Connection is:: 11543 Kbps about 11.5 Mbps (tested with 12288 kB)

Download Speed is:: 1409 kB/s

Test Time:: 2009/02/03 - 12:22pm

Time for me is EST:  1:22PM

At the same time Comcast showed about 15 Mbps from Atlanta. Nowhere near yesterday's 20+ Mbps

I have the regular Comcast plan which is "capable of 12 Mbps" and I think 8 Mbps is supposed to be normal!? However, I viewed a TV show on HULU last night - about 45 minutes streamed, pretty high quality video worked fine. No interruptions from Comcast for too much bandwidth used. So, I am back to normal. So far, I don't see any difference.

Buntz - I have experienced periods where the cable goes intermittent. This could be due to just about anything, including server problems. Note that when the tech was with me, he could see that their Atlanta hub wasn't working properly, so this happens and they will never admit to server problems. The tech also indicated that individuals could be shut off from downloading if limits (set by Comcast) are exceeded. He didn't comment about "network congestion" and seemed to be ignorant about the "network management" program. I will contact Comcast executives today, after I'm fairly sure about speed. There was a lot of bad weather around yesterday (not here) but this can also impact performance. I hope that your speed returns and is consistent. Mine seems to be consistent and appears a little higher on the first few seconds of a download. I'll post again after contact with Comcast.

The larger files sizes at TMN is one reason your speed is slower ,the other reason is the server is located in Dallas. TX, so the distance between you and the server is greater.   My Comcast speed has been inconsistent for years. I have had Comcast tech out here many times and also had them run a new line from the outside cable box to my Apt. It will work for a little while after they leave, then it goes back to the way it was. Just did another speed test, so far whatever they did last night seem to be working. Download speed went down some ,but the upload speed is staying up.

Download Connection is:: 14097 Kbps about 14.1 Mbps (tested with 12288 kB)

Download Speed is:: 1721 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 2020 Kbps about 2 Mbps (tested with 5983 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 247 kB/s

Test Time:: 2009/02/03 - 2:02pm

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-0DCGTEPAJ

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-NIXLKWF0D

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.5) Gecko/2008120122 Firefox/3.0.5 [!]

Buntz, Thanks for your input. I have also had Comcast techs here a number of times, but usually for interruption of service - caused by cut cable (my gardener); damaged cable underground (digging by phone company), etc. Line from the pole to my house now has sealed connectors, all up to date. Tech checked all this again and all to spec. He said that newer techs didn't deal with  the old modem since it was working. New modem's biggest improvement immediately was signal to noise - if I heard him right about -6 dB improvement. I think maybe I should do another reset of the modem, just in case this is required to make the new software all effective.

Thanks for the info about Dallas as TMN server site. The Comcast test was actually faster for me when I used Denver or Chicago instead of Atlanta. I'll do some more testing later when my wife is off line but I think that the Comcast Power Boost is a factor in speed testing with larger files, due to the "boost curve". Speeds will always have a certain amount of inconsistency due to traffic and server capacity a multiple levels, but there should be a window for ISP bandwidth and a floor that they shouldn't fall below (mine was below that for sure). More later.

I do not know if you can do this on a Mac. Maybe one of the Mac guys can let us know if you can run a tracert route command or not. Here is my computer running Windows7. I also included a ping command.

The second hop is from my router to the modem, for some reason it always gets Request timed out

Copyright © 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:UsersBuntz>tracert testmy.net

Tracing route to testmy.net [74.54.226.166]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     2 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.1

2     *        *        *     Request timed out.

3     9 ms     7 ms     9 ms  68.85.152.145

4     9 ms     9 ms     9 ms  po-90-ur01.middletown.nj.panjde.comcast.net [68.

86.210.157]

5     9 ms     8 ms     9 ms  po-80-ar01.eatontown.nj.panjde.comcast.net [68.8

6.210.153]

6    12 ms    13 ms    11 ms  po-90-ar01.verona.nj.panjde.comcast.net [68.86.2

08.9]

7    22 ms    16 ms    15 ms  pos-0-11-0-0.ar01.plainfield.nj.panjde.comcast.n

et [68.86.153.98]

8    14 ms    13 ms    14 ms  68.86.91.217

9    18 ms    18 ms    19 ms  pos-0-14-0-0-cr01.mclean.va.ibone.comcast.net [6

8.86.85.93]

10    33 ms    32 ms    33 ms  pos-1-12-0-0-cr01.atlanta.ga.ibone.comcast.net [

68.86.85.237]

11    55 ms    55 ms    54 ms  pos-1-13-0-0-cr01.dallas.tx.ibone.comcast.net [6

8.86.85.253]

12    53 ms    55 ms    54 ms  68.86.88.50

13    54 ms    54 ms    54 ms  te7-1.dsr02.dllstx3.theplanet.com [70.87.253.18]

14    55 ms    54 ms    55 ms  te3-3.dsr02.dllstx2.theplanet.com [70.87.253.126

]

15    61 ms    58 ms    74 ms  po2.car06.dllstx6.theplanet.com [12.96.160.40]

16    56 ms    56 ms    55 ms  a6.e2.364a.static.theplanet.com [74.54.226.166]

Trace complete.