pc backup questions/help needed

destructionfever

Hi guys, I was wondering if someone could assist me in creating a backup for my PC customers. You see, I can remove malware very efficiently. But I hear people in security forums everywhere tell me I should create a backup of critical files and personal files for my customers in case something goes wrong when removing the malware. I've had good luck up until now without backing up people's PCs but I don't want to take the risk anymore. What if when I remove the malware it destroys the system? So, I was wondering if someone could help teach me how to make a good PC backup of critical files registry files, and personal files as well. Also, if you could give me directions on how to actually use the backup in case I need to it would be greatly appreciated! thanks, Nick

With clients I have either contracts with for regular scheduled maintenance, or hell, if someone's box is just so mucked up, I will clone the entire Hard drive. To me, there;s no more secure way of ensuring data , you lose someone's "stuff " when it came in for a tune up or simple virus repair, your gonna get smacked down, let alone lose your referral base.

When you get the machine in, just figure in time for the cloning.  I use several programs, here are a couple good one's that i can vouch for. You decide.

drive image xml

xxclone

EDIT: I looked in my stack o' stuff , and found my favorite, really good one, I would reccomend acronis over any of them.

Thanks Mudman, I don't want to shell out too much money for now. My next question is, can I just use the XP or Vista backup utility to make a backup for my customer's PC? If I can get away with doing this and it being enough I will be happy. thanks again

I understand the $$'s thing, and I have never used XP's backup, I know there's a good one out there that's free, I think open source,  let me look in my disk bank here and see what I can find.