Will it increase my connection speed?

ukpixelis

At the moment I have TalkTalk up to 8mb IP and it is used by 4 computers... i get speeds of up to like 1mb at best :s

Im thinking to change my IP provider to cable virgin fibre optic 10mb. Will this increase my speeds?

tnx

Theoretically, YES it will. If you're seeing sub-part performance from your current connection though, you could have a bottleneck in your networking, such as your router, wireless etc. What's your setup? We can try to help determine if you're getting the most out of your current connection or if they've got some issue with the lines/service..

EDIT: Should be more clear, can  you run us through your network setup? IE DSL  modem-> Netgear VRT2991 Router -> wired connection to computer 1/2/4 wirless to 2/5/9 etc etc?

It also depends on the provider, some will give you the expected speed, but several will only get you close. So in reality its just as possible your 8meg will be as fast if not faster than the 10 meg service. Its a pot luck world.  :smiley: And if you get over the speed ..... SMILE.