computer crashes. ..

TheArtworkGuy

Hello everyone,

Maybe someone here will have an idea of whats wrong with my computer.  For a long time now it has been freezing up and crashing sporadically..  I've been through 2 reformats, I've added fans to the case and I monitor the temperature of the PC, nothing appears to be overheating.. I upgraded my video card and it still crashes, on the old one and the new one.. I put 2 more sticks of RAM inside the case for a total of 4 sticks, all the same kind.

I've been trying to find a pattern in the crashes, and the only one thats cropped up is the past few times I've tried to put the PC in standby mode it has crashed..then it took a really long time to boot up again.

I'm running windows xp.

Considering that standby places all data within memory, it very well could be a motherboard issue since that has been changed, or wait, you said  "added to " are some of the same "sticks " of ram still in there ? If so , pull them out and see what happens.

Ultimately, most issues I have found that cause this are outdated, or incorrect system drivers. You have to realize that most VGA drivers aren't compatible with power save settings, so this could also be an issue.

I also have had peripheral components that the firmware was old, or incompatible, and causes issues like this.

Just check all your drivers, including system drivers first.

i dont know where to begin with checking my drivers..is there a scan i can run that detects outdated or incorrect ones?

I would NEVER use any website that detect drivers for any reason, I do not trust them. For any reason, I'd rather keep the old one until I found a good source.

I would start checking them in device manager, it's worth the time. Check first the vital ones such as basic system drivers, (chipset, sound, video, hard drive ect.)  update them as needed, but do not do it from any other site than the manufacturer, ever. Very important, people can put anything they want in that package. It may not be a virus, but it could very well be tracking software, or a plethora of any number of "things".

If you need help, just post ones you can't find, I'll help you search them out.

I would first download something like everest, there's better ones out there as well. They will tell you what is in your system , what the driver is, many links to the site that contains the drivers, you'll love it.  I just can't think of the one coknuck told me about , maybe he'll post up when he reads this.

hmm, now that you mention it i did have to download a driver for my mothercard to enable internet access, and now my firewall constantly is blocking LAN access from something that it wasn't before, and hotmail keeps making me refresh it because multiple users are logged in.

You said  "multiple users are logged on " are you serious ?  You need to do something, to me, that sounds as if there is a door wide open, and someone is using your machine to do something elsewhere through this thing.

I would NEVER use any website that detect drivers for any reason, I do not trust them. For any reason, I'd rather keep the old one until I found a good source.

I would start checking them in device manager, it's worth the time. Check first the vital ones such as basic system drivers, (chipset, sound, video, hard drive ect.)  update them as needed, but do not do it from any other site than the manufacturer, ever. Very important, people can put anything they want in that package. It may not be a virus, but it could very well be tracking software, or a plethora of any number of "things".

If you need help, just post ones you can't find, I'll help you search them out.

I would first download something like everest, there's better ones out there as well. They will tell you what is in your system , what the driver is, many links to the site that contains the drivers, you'll love it.  I just can't think of the one coknuck told me about , maybe he'll post up when he reads this.

im scoping out the drivers, some of them are from as early as 2001, i should just find the manufacturer website and get updates is what your saying?

im scoping out the drivers, some of them are from as early as 2001, i should just find the manufacturer website and get updates is what your saying?

Some drivers I should say haven't been updated since then. if there's no link, and u can't find it, post up, I'll see what I can find.

Maybe as someone mentioned, mismatched memory? maybe even corrupt memory?

Memory is just like a hard, it has allocations to put the information, if one of these allocations are bad it may crash your computer, I would find a program to scan and check your memory.