download and upload speeds

banjoboy

:o I got my first internet connection last August with xplornet--spaceway--took awhile and alot of calls but have a very decent average download speed of around 4100  kps and as high as 6500kps.I am on eliteplus--very expensive but my company pays half--the only thing is my upload did not increase properly at same time as upgrade. I have spoken to level 2 and 3 at xplornet several times and they seem to think it may be a hardware issue. My average upload speed is around 150kps---usually never higher than 175kps.Technician was out 3 weeks ago--checked satellite alighnment and changed transmitter--better signal strength but still upload is not increasing.

Any ideas??--could it be the modem--I have a Hughesnet 9000

Thanks,Banjoboy

ps--speeds shown on two different test sites---speedtest.net---download--4100 to 6500kps upload 150-175kps

testmy.net--not as random on download--but slower--2500-2900kps  upload -225-254 kps

hughesnet test site does not seem to be working.

Since Xplornet is a re-seller of Hughesnet....... But Xplornet should have it's own Canadian SpaceWay3 NOC online by now...

http://go.gethughesnet.com/speed.cfm

With the ElitePlus plan, connect to the Internet with maximum download speeds of up to 3.0 Mbps, with typical speeds about 1.6 Mbps to 1.8 Mbps during peak times. Upload speeds, which are capable of reaching 300 Kbps, are typically 165 Kbps to 180 Kbps during peak hours.

Uploads on satellite are kept as low as possible to allow for more 'download bandwidth'. 

• 3 months later...

you can check your internet download/upload speeds on this site.... same tools as that site, only its more accurate here. :grin2:

:angel:Thanks

for the web site for xplornet speed test. I checked it out and its actually same as test.my and another one which is recommended for sattelite--speakeasy.net

I am on the elite plan which says up to 2mbs download and 300kps upload--I am constantly hitting these numbers bang on --day in day out any time of day.

The xplornet site came back at 2044kps and 275 kps upload

speakeasy came back at 2035kps and 345kps upload

testmy came back at 1989kps and 245 upload.  All in all pretty close.

you wanna check your download/upload speed, last week i found a site here internet speed check can be done...further assistance visit

[snipped for advertizing]

According to

http://whois.domaintools.com/122.165.35.254

That site is in India and the particular test is the one banned here due to spamming.

It also doesn't even show half of what my download speed is.

edit to remove url in quote

ew...mosquito's and black flies??...what are black flies?? ew...i'll leave them to u...we have enough mosquitos with west nile

:evil:Black flies come out in spring, tiny little flies( like black knats) die off around now though when it starts getting hot. they have a nasty bite which you cant feel at first but they itch like hell afterwards-- any sports fisherman in northern states--great lakes area would know exactly what these fellows are all about.

:evil:Black flies come out in spring, tiny little flies( like black knats) die off around now though when it starts getting hot. they have a nasty bite which you cant feel at first but they itch like hell afterwards-- any sports fisherman in northern states--great lakes area would know exactly what these fellows are all about.

We call them "pecker knats "  :haha: :haha:

The Hughes KA systems highest upload speed is supposed to be 300Kbps. That's kilobits, not kilo-bytes. So i would average that roughly what... 20kB/s or something like that.

If you are seriously interested in uploading large files, KA is not the answer for you. KU systems have a business package, which is design for webhosting type services, ftp servers etc. You are not supposed to operate ftp/vpn servers on their KA systems. It is meant for client usage that require fast download speeds, not upload.

If I were you, I would go to the dealer and ask if they install KU systems (if you really need it). The 9000 is fine for minor uploads, but if you need it like "NOW" uploads, KU is the way to go. They are very VERY expensive systems, but extremely reliable. KU systems run most of the radar locations around Canada for transmitting data to/from the weather stations. I have seen some of the KU systems running on the Spaceway satellite with 3m dishes. But you can do massive amounts of data on them. The KA Hughes max dish size is 98cm and most people get 74cm because the dealer doesn't think that they'll really need anything more, and they are right.

if you need massive speeds out of it, KA is not for you. There is some KU systems with VPN and VoIP packages. the VoIP acts identical to a satellite phone, but it works. Installers are harder to come by, as it's more of a commercial industry thing, but they are out there :)