Limited TCP protocol bandwidth?

Ricow

Hy everyone!  :grin2:

I've just switched from my ADSL2+ 2,5mbps link to a 4mbps cable. The point is that i can't reach full throughput when very few TCP sessions are on.

When I try downloading through 20 sessions, both the DSL link or Cable manage to reach full speed (~245KB/s and ~480KB/s respectivelly). Nevertheless, when i limit the same download to only one session, DSL can still get full throttle, whilst cable won't go any further like 80KB/s... I guess that's why heavy traffic pages like YouTube HD or Vimeo got so sluggish on my cable. Even TestMy.net speed come down from 2200kbps to 200kbps... yeah, that sucks!  :sad3:

I performed such tests in FDM, confirmed with netstat command and of course, by pluging both modems separatelly.

Any suggestions?  :angel:

Txs so much!  :wink2:

Txs, mudmanc4! I appreciate yout attempt to help me out!

No, i did not connect them at the same time. My DSL link is still available, so in order to compare speeds, i just unplug the cable modem wire (RJ45 in the network adapter) and plug in the DSL modem cable in the same adapter. I did that just to check why almost everything is so slow in cable, then i figured out that it only gets to download fast when there are plenty of sessions passing data (like when using a download manager software). Browsing, watching videos or speed testing is quite sluggish all the time!

As an example, if i watch a YouTube HD video, it tops out at something like 120KB/s (which is not enough to buffer pretty much any HD video in there). However, if i pop up like 5 different HD videos, it totally use all the power this link offers (~480KB/s). I know it's not some YouTube limitation because i can get 260KB/s from a single video when using DSL.

Another example: Right now i'm downloading a random linux distro (mandriva) from a server with FDM at 480KB/s. But if close download manager and start downloading from a browser like firefox of chrome, it will not download faster than 70KB/s unless i unplug the cable link and plug in the DSL link. In this case, it doesn't matter which application i use to download the file, it's always gonna use all that this 2.5mbps DSL is able to deliver (something like 240KB/s).

Weird, huh?

First off, they are to different types of connections, therefore the setting within the registry are going to differ from one to another. Big time.

Personally I have used download managers, but never found any , whatsoever use for them, and all they do is limit /allocate the preferred data download per user instruction.  What is the sense in that ? Just more "clutter " within the ranks of the already bloated windows registry.

If you plan to keep both connections, ( although I can't see why) you can't use them at the same time, ad your paying for both, when you can only use one. Maybe two different intranet networks ?

Myself, I can only really absorb one video at a time. And If I need to download something fast, I'm not using a D/L manager, I just only download that one item.

Maybe, you could get rid of all the manager stuff, and download a network registry adjusting device , one called  "cablenut " seems to be the popular one.  Here's the link from testmy.net,  we have been blessed by a man called Vanburen, he has taken the time to give us so many settings called "ccs" files that will tweak the registry settings to the specific connection, and operating system you have.

Yeah i'm not intended to keep both of the links, i just didn't cancel my ADSL plan yet because of those speed issues.

I'm trying out the tips in that link you posted.

Txs a lot, dude!  :grin2:

Cool ! Did you get cablenut yet ? Works really well, you can try different settings and see how it goes for you.

Cool ! Did you get cablenut yet ? Works really well, you can try different settings and see how it goes for you.

Sure! I did try that one, but it doesn't work...

Right now I'm trying TCPOptimizer out. Also, i updated my lan card drivers sooner, but nothing changed at all.

Btw, i opened a ticket with my ISP's Help Desk, but they are not going to take a look at that before wednesday because of carnival holidays...  :cry:

Download managers are specifically designed to use all the download bandwidth possible by connecting to as many sources as possible.

Your browser downloads are only from ONE source. That's why you're getting a different result on that issue.

I've been on the internet since dialup was a baby (1993). TCP, especially using in PTP sharing, is VERY settings-sensitive.

Please do yourself a favor and perform coolbusters 20 steps for a better connection. You'll learn alot, and you'll accomplish alot. Just search for "coolbusters 20" on this board and you'll find it. Even if you just perform half of his suggestions, you will be much happier with your connection. He's a Digital Buddha to many people here :cheesy:

Good luck to you, I'm sure you'll hash it all out in no time  :smiley:

Download managers are specifically designed to use all the download bandwidth possible by connecting to as many sources as possible.

Your browser downloads are only from ONE source. That's why you're getting a different result on that issue.

I've been on the internet since dialup was a baby (1993). TCP, especially using in PTP sharing, is VERY settings-sensitive.

Please do yourself a favor and perform coolbusters 20 steps for a better connection. You'll learn alot, and you'll accomplish alot. Just search for "coolbusters 20" on this board and you'll find it. Even if you just perform half of his suggestions, you will be much happier with your connection. He's a Digital Buddha to many people here :cheesy:

Good luck to you, I'm sure you'll hash it all out in no time  :smiley:

From my limited use of torrent programs, they all have this download manager ( connection settings,) maybe not as deep as setting registry items) within the configuration settings, Makes me think there's conflicting settings between that, and whatever manager he has running. no ?

My html / ftp downloads through my browser only connect to one server. Download managers connect to as many mirrors as possible. So it's only natural the download will be faster especially since the server you are connected to can only dish out maybe 5 or 10 Kbps.

Torrent programs, by nature, are a form of download manager, so the same concept will apply. However, I've experienced problems before wherein my http / ftp speed was great, but something was wrong with my TCP connectivity, so my torrents were dead slow, due to lack of peers and the rate I could download from them.

Like I advised before, the best thing for him to do is to optimize his connection by following coolbusters 20 steps. I doubled my download speed just by using 10 or 12 of them. :cheesy:

So, you're probably right... I would put the probability at about 80% (or more) that there is some small setting, or a bunch of them, causing the problem. So until that is eliminated as the cause, I wouldn't be so quick to blame the ISP. [nerd]

Txs!  :grin2:

But i tried all those tips, nothing works...  :cry2:

It doesn't matter to how many servers i connect to, it's not the bottleneck. The tests i've performed were based on multiple sessions to exactly the same server, which results in full bandwidth usage. Take a look:

10ses.th.jpg

Now one session only:

1sesab6.th.jpg

And here goes what happens when trying to watch a YouTube video. The only session carrying data is the selected one. Take a look at the sidebar's network traffic gadget to see how slow it may get:

youtubeb.th.jpg

I bet it's not youtube's fault because it works like a charm in adsl. Downloading slowly in browsers is not what i care about, the biggest issue in here is that i spend all day long in streaming websites like youtube or vimeo, so that's a big deal.

I tried using brand new installations of Vista Ultimate, XP and Mandriva. There seems to have nothing i can do to do that trick...   :cry: