zalternate

Latest FAKE Anti-Virus is out

Always make sure you read the text of  Popups and make sure it is legitimate. Whether it is an infection already in your system or just the scam of resizing your browser window via JavaScript to display a FAKE system message.    :knuppel2:

http://arstechnica.com/security/news/2009/02/new-malware-attempts-legitimacy-spreads-phony-reviews.ars

Some excerpts..........

New malware attempts legitimacy by spreading phony reviews

Scareware has found itself a new flavor in Anti-Virus-1, possibly in response to court cases and investigations launched against Antivirus XP last year. In this case, the program is a bit malware, a bit scareware, and generally bad news. It doesn't just yammer at the user with false positives, it'll also hijack your browser and aim it at phony positive reviews

This has been going on for years, and it's only one of many dangers of the internet. But it's easy to protect yourself.

1. Use a pop-up blocker. Even if they are harmless ads, they still SUCK and should be banned as far as I'm concerned

2. Use a Javascript blocker to only alow java from trusted sites, and make sure your browser is set to ASK PERMISSION from you before any applets are allowed to run on any site.

3. Do a virus scan on any programs or other downloads before you open them

4. NEVER click on an email attachment, even if it's from a friend, and set your email client to not display html and to NOT automatically open attachments

In the 15 years I've been on the internet, the only virus I ever got was from a cd game that was certified "virus free" way back in 1996.

This has been going on for years, and it's only one of many dangers of the internet. But it's easy to protect yourself.

1. Use a pop-up blocker. Even if they are harmless ads, they still SUCK and should be banned as far as I'm concerned

Unfortunately the won't help much with these, many are due to ads that are on the page, not popups, some are activated by a simple mouse over.

2. Use a Javascript blocker to only alow java from trusted sites, and make sure your browser is set to ASK PERMISSION from you before any applets are allowed to run on any site.

Now that will help, but a flash blocke would be a good addition to that.

3. Do a virus scan on any programs or other downloads before you open them

A good idea but it won't help with the fake AVs they are generally drive-bys.

4. NEVER click on an email attachment, even if it's from a friend, and set your email client to not display html and to NOT automatically open attachments

Another good idea, again won't help with the fake AVs.

In the 15 years I've been on the internet, the only virus I ever got was from a cd game that was certified "virus free" way back in 1996.