I uninstalled Treewalk dns but my IP is still coming up as 173.54.255.163?

sharky2009

Just how invasive this program is , is beyond me, I perused through there site, looks fairly deep for a DNS "thing ".

Did you change the DNS in the router to begin with ?

I changed my dns to Opendns.

....but My IP address is coming up somewhere in Kansas City, MO 173.54.255.163.

My Host Name is coming up pool-173-54-255-163.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net.

This is all incorrect.

I have uninstalled Treewalk but apparently it left a lot behind and I have even tried netsh winsock reset.

Is there anyone here who can help me with this...?

It's one thing after another with your machine dude.  You fix one thing, and three others come up, there's something seriously wrong with that.

You've already proven to yourself that you have had several virus's, Like i suggested in another one of your threads about similar issues, to just clean the drive and re instal the OS.

It's a complete mess at this point, who knows what all is wrong you know ? Or how many more virus's are hiding in there.

It's one thing after another with your machine dude.  You fix one thing, and three others come up, there's something seriously wrong with that.

You've already proven to yourself that you have had several virus's, Like i suggested in another one of your threads about similar issues, to just clean the drive and re instal the OS.

It's a complete mess at this point, who knows what all is wrong you know ? Or how many more virus's are hiding in there.

I here you but the thing is that I just installed Treewalk on the fly and then I uninstalled it and my ip address is having this problem.  I really don't believe the two are related. 

Check in your services panal for this being shut off to Manual. Even though it says it goes back to normal on the un-install. Could be a couple of other things in there may have got changed to manual. As long as there is also no added Proxy from somewhere enabled as well.

http://ntcanuck.com/faq.htm#a-tw_alters

What Services does TreeWalk alter? The setup program changed your local DNS Client/Cache Service to Manual Startup mode, so if the Service was enabled, it will not be started after the reboot. This is done due to the fact that most programs will work better with the local TreeWalk if such a service is not active. (More "Which Services does TreeWalk affect...")

Paste the following command into a "Run" box to change the setting only if absolutely necessary:

%systemroot%system32services.msc /s

Upon uninstalling TreeWalk DNS that setting is returned to what it previously was anyway, and all original DNS server settings will also be restored to what they were.

Check in your services panal for this being shut off to Manual. Even though it says it goes back to normal on the un-install. Could be a couple of other things in there may have got changed to manual. As long as there is also no added Proxy from somewhere enabled as well.

These are all of my services that are setup as Manual AND Started...

Manual AND Started.

Application Layer Gateway Service

COM+ Event System

Cryptographic Services

Machine Debug Manager

Network Connections

Network Location Awareness (NLA)

Remote Access Connection Manager

SSDP Discovery Service

Telephony

Terminal Services

and these are the Services that are just Manual BUT NOT Started....

Manual BUT NOT Started

.NET Runtime Optimization Service v2.0.50727_X86

Application Management

ASP.NET State Service

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

COM+ System Application

Distributed Link Tracking Client

Extensible Authentication Protocol Service

Health Key and Certificate Management Service

HTTP SSL

IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service

Indexing Service

Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service

Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service

MS Software Shadow Copy Provider

Network Access Protection Agent

Network Provisioning Service

Office Source Engine

Remote Access Auto Connection Manager

Removable Storage

Sandboxie Service

TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper

Uninterruptible Power Supply

Universal Plug and Play Device Host

Volume Shadow Copy

WebClient

Windows CardSpace

Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework

Windows Installer

Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache 3.0.0.0

WMI Performance Adapter

,,,,some things do look different....isn't Telephony supposed to be disabled?

I was able to make some changes and now I see that I have the following:

C:>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Main

Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : home

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connecti

on

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-F1-E9-44-51

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : No

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.3

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, February 27, 2009 10:50:04 P

M

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, February 28, 2009 10:50:04

PM

C:>

DNS Suffix Search List??? home??? What is THAT???

Connection-specific DNS Suffix.: home    ????WHAT IS THAT!!!???

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I found this below.

A generic to one ISP(so a reset as per instructions should hopefully fix your connection problem without the "sa.bigpond.net.au")..   For your Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:. Since it appears to be pointing to nowhere(Home).

Mine does not have "append these DNS suffixes in order" checked. I'm using OpenDNS .

What you are looking at is the DNS suffix that is being appended to the end of hostnames in an attempt to resolve it.

If you want it to show the correct details in there, change "Lan" to "sa.bigpond.net.au"

Then go into the TCP/IP properties and make sure that there is nothing in the "append these DNS suffixes (in order)" field.

Unsure how to do that? Follow this.

Control Panel > Network Connections > Right click Local Area Connection > Properties > TCP/IP > Properties > Advanced button > DNS Tab. In the box that says append these DNS suffixes (in order), remove the listed items in there. Click OK, OK then Close.

Open up cmd and type ipconfig/release then hit enter and type ipconfig/renew and hit enter again. Once that is done, sa.bigpond.net.au should show up in the DNS suffix search list.

Heres mine....

C:Documents and SettingsOwner>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : a

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

Ethernet adapter Mother Board:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Eth

ernet NIC

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : *******************

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.***

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 208.67.222.222

Tuesday I am getting a new DSL 'modem' only(Not a Modem/Router combo like right now)  and then I have a stand alone router to hook up to it.

My guess is he is bored.  :wink:

I found this below.

A generic to one ISP(so a reset as per instructions should hopefully fix your connection problem without the "sa.bigpond.net.au")..   For your Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:. Since it appears to be pointing to nowhere(Home).

Mine does not have "append these DNS suffixes in order" checked. I'm using OpenDNS .

Heres mine....

C:Documents and SettingsOwner>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : a

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

Ethernet adapter Mother Board:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Eth

ernet NIC

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : *******************

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.***

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 208.67.222.222

Tuesday I am getting a new DSL 'modem' only(Not a Modem/Router combo like right now)  and then I have a stand alone router to hook up to it.

I don't have "Append these DNS suffixes (in order)" chosen.  That's all empty.

I have "Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes" chosen.

Should I check on the "Append parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix"?

I don't have "Append these DNS suffixes (in order)" chosen.  That's all empty.

I have "Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes" chosen.

Should I check on the "Append parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix"?

These are my settings that I have not changed after a Operating System reinstall from about two months ago using DSL.

My gateway is my router. And my IP is an internal IP.

These are my settings that I have not changed after a Operating System reinstall from about two months ago using DSL.

Man zalternate!  You are the Man to give me these pics!  I am going to put mine exactly like yours and see what happens.

I am still coming up with this 173.54.255.163 as my IP address.

I am a standalone PC.  No Network.  How can I see if I am configured as a Network...?

I have almost exhausted every idea....but I know that there is an answer there...

I am still coming up with this 173.54.255.163 as my IP address.

I am a standalone PC.  No Network.  How can I see if I am configured as a Network...?

I have almost exhausted every idea....but I know that there is an answer there...

You could change your machines MAC address to see if that will release it. Otherwise.....................

Motherboard Status,,, properties,,,,, Configure (your Ethernet adapter),,,, advanced,, Network address,, Then enter a new MAC address. That usually will release/renew a IP address from the system. Even changing one digit in your current MAC will cause the change. And a reboot everything, computer, modem, router, etc (If I remember correctly, since it's been awhile since I last changed mine).

According to one of your posts, your MAC is.... Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-F1-E9-44-51   At the moment.

:cool:

And have you also tried uninstalling/deleting the Adapter and then making a new connection? Then you should get all the defaults back. Right click disable, then right click and delete. Then use the wizard to setup a new connection on the adapter.

You could change your machines MAC address to see if that will release it. Otherwise.....................

Motherboard Status,,, properties,,,,, Configure (your Ethernet adapter),,,, advanced,, Network address,, Then enter a new MAC address. That usually will release/renew a IP address from the system. Even changing one digit in your current MAC will cause the change. And a reboot everything, computer, modem, router, etc (If I remember correctly, since it's been awhile since I last changed mine).

According to one of your posts, your MAC is.... Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-F1-E9-44-51   At the moment.

:cool:

And have you also tried uninstalling/deleting the Adapter and then making a new connection? Then you should get all the defaults back. Right click disable, then right click and delete. Then use the wizard to setup a new connection on the adapter.

I attempted to change the MAC address and in the Locally Administered Address section it had no value and what was automatically chosen was "Not Present"

I then manually entered a value and changed it by changing the last two digits from 51 to 52 then I had no connection whatsoever.  I then went back in and cleared the value section and chose "Not Present" but it did not change anything. 

I had a connection again but the same 173.54.255.163.

I want to try your second suggestion BUT, if I delete the adapter then I won't have an adapter to setup a new connection will I?  Or does the computer automatically have one?

I noticed in Device Manager when I clicked on View>Show Hidden Devices

under Network adapters all of a sudden instead of ONLY having the Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection

7 MORE ADAPTERS APPEAR (and they only appear when I click on show Hidden Devices.  Plus they are not greyed out. 

I have a picture of them attached in word.

The additional adapters are:

Direct Parallel

RAS Async Adapter

WAN Miniport (IP)

Wan Miniport (IP) - Packet Scheduler Miniport

Wan Miniport (L2TP)

WAN Miniport (PPPOE)

Wan Miniport (PPTP)

under Network adapters all of a sudden instead of ONLY having the Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection

7 MORE ADAPTERS APPEAR (and they only appear when I click on show Hidden Devices.  Plus they are not greyed out. 

Direct Parallel

RAS Async Adapter

WAN Miniport (IP)

Wan Miniport (L2TP)

WAN Miniport (PPPOE)

Wan Miniport (PPTP)

And thats why they are hidden. Lots of that stuff in there. Keeps people from screwing things up. There is an old scare email on the Web called the Teddy Bear virus. It's fake, but in the file system somewhere is a teddy bear icon. The email says to delete it. not a priority file, but...............

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/jdbgmgr.asp

There are but two gods of the internet. Google included.  :-P  (yeah right. they have both been wrong plenty)

I was cursing the Internet Gods the other day. 

One of the local nodes for the DSL barbecued itself and we was without Internet for abouts 36 hours.

And until the traffic for the business lines was rerouted to the good node, various debit machines and bank machines in town were out of order. A couple of places had "cash only" signs up..... Whats "Cash"?  :undecided:

But it was fun to stare at the blinking lights on the DSL modem and figure out that two blinks meant trying to connect to the node. And three blinks meant connecting to the node, but no channel. And no blinks meant no DSL signal coming down the lines.  :buck2:

But thats still over a year without any problems on the DSL. Try that on cable....  :twisted:

Direct Parallel

RAS Async Adapter

WAN Miniport (IP)

Wan Miniport (L2TP)

WAN Miniport (PPPOE)

Wan Miniport (PPTP)

I did your second suggestion BUT, after I delete the adapter then I had trouble. 

I had to go to Windows File Checker and install my Windows CD then

I had to go to the i386 folder for the adapter to reinstall it...which I did.

aaaaannnnndddd.......

SAME @*&$^*!!

And thats why they are hidden. Lots of that stuff in there. Keeps people from screwing things up. There is an old scare email on the Web called the Teddy Bear virus. It's fake, but in the file system somewhere is a teddy bear icon. The email says to delete it. not a priority file, but...............

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/jdbgmgr.asp

I have it now at static IP and it still comes back 173.54.255.163 when I do a search on what's my IP.

I found out that this is my external IP address.  I just want my external IP address to be located closer to my state.