Im going to be a dad!

humorman

Oh my just found out im going to be a dad. It my first baby not sure what it is yet. Im 22 she's 24 I am so happy and scared about what to do money wise etc. I am just wondering if you all have any advice on what to do to get prepared for a new dad to be?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my just found out im going to be a dad. It my first baby not sure what it is yet. Im 22 she's 24 I am so happy and scared about what to do money wise etc. I am just wondering if you all have any advice on what to do to get prepared for a new dad to be?

It's so funny that you ask, because I tried very hard to be prepared for my first....

The truth is: be responsible, watch over them, spend time with them and love them. Everything else is out of your control and the more you enjoy the moments with them, the more memories you will have later. Those are important for both of you.

Never ever let them think that they are not important, but that doesn't mean you don't discipline them later (after 1 year old). They need to know you care, and you need to love them as much as you can.

Take every moment of this pregnancy and don't waste it. The wonder of the first child is never repeated. Feel the baby move, be involved in the doctor visits, and her diet. Show how much they mean to you every moment...

The worst thing that could happen from this? You may not be there tomorrow, but she will know you were there when you could be and will tell the baby and as it grows, how nuch you loved it. Lead by example

oh, and congrats! You have the world in front of you now :)

congrats!!...

now this might sound silly...but get down close to her belly...often and talk...lay by her belly and read a story...the newspaper...anything...play lots of music...loud enough for the baby to hear...play with it before it's born...talk to it...poke it and it will poke back...find a foot and tickle and it kicks...yep i'm serious...it's been proven that babies can do and hear and experience all these things...and interact with you...there was a time when people thought it was not true...now we know...babies are smart...make them reach to learn even before they are born...challenge them...put headphones on her belly and play classical music...or lullabyes...or poetry...

there ya have it...i didn't do these things for my first 2 cuz i didn't know but my others i did and family tolerated me but now they know what i said was true...oh and tell ur wife to expect hiccups...from the baby...it happens...soft music soothes it. these are things you can do to get to know him/her before the birth :)

after the birth...read water's post again...cuz in the blink of an eye u'll be posting "i'm gonna be a grandpa"

Ok , you've had a couple mothers talk to to so far in this thread, it's time for a fathers opinion no ?

It seems that for us guy's, until were placed in a situation that actually requires it, were subjective ( all we do is think about ourselves , and what we need ) , For me, I learned, and still am learning to be more objective ( look at the opinions, and feelings, of others, and whats going on around you, not just your dick and your stomach.) Seem harsh ? It's reality.

Now I don't know you from jack shit, but if your from the male species the above paragraph applies to you.

Enjoy your mew family member, yea, say that out loud, FAMILY , because thats what you have created. This is as serious as it is spectacular. You'll never be the same, and either will the world we all live in now, because of the two of yours actions, you have effected all of us. You have brought another human being into this place we live. So feed what you have created with something you have always wanted to be, and the return will be residually eternal for you and yours.

And do what I did in the delivery room...........

Eat donuts and drink soda pop.

Great way to take it easy with the wait. Nice comfy reclining chairs in the birthing rooms... And the wife just waddled around, so it was okay.

And when you cut the umbilical cord,,, It may squirt on someone in the room.

Congratulations! The best days are when babies are born. I am getting teary now.  Tdawnaz is so right about the music and talking. It stimulates their developing minds even in the womb. Get some Baby Einstein CD's . Never too early to begin. They do grow so fast. I thought when mine were in diapers that it would never end, but it DOES and I am saying take each moment as it comes and hold on tight, yes , even when you get spit up on . Breath in the smell  of babies after a bath. The most wonderful smell.. Save money as much as possible as they require alot of maintenance. Diapers cost alot for the month. Start shopping early now and stock up . I don't care if you have a room full of stuff, babies go though clothes every week it seems. They grow so fast . Shop sales and look for bargains.Get all the equipment you will need as the months go along. You will need everything once he or she arrives and neither one of you want to take newborns out looking for supplies. When you first come home from the hospital, you will want to relax and enjoy this most precious and so brief moment while you can. You and your wife and newborn will have alot of adjustments as well as babies are around the clock care and so worth it. Damn my Baby clock is ticking.......again..

Damn titties flying everywhere in here.  :evil: Look dude, keep that camera ready always. And there will be times you will not be ready still. damn it digital is the only way. I use mine often. Weekly is regular for me. Especially in the summer. And yes your a grandad before you know it. Capture as much as you can, a camcorder also if possible. I have 1000's of pics already. And every minute you spend with them is an investment in your future. Every second you miss is a moment you'll never get back, and those will make you cry like a baby. Yep does  that to me. And I am 49 with two girls. By the way, girls hook you at birth almost.  :-P Just have fun. And so is it time for a baby pool? OH yeah, remember to get a rubber apron for feeding time.  :haha: And diaper time for boys too.   :grin:

And don't forget the first if a second comes along. they are equally important. I never let my oldest forget that when my second came along. All for now.  :twisted:

AND>>>>POST back updates along the way. We'll support you, thats one thing we do well.  :angel: Good or bad, we've been through it all.

Congratulations.. Being a father is a tough one. Tough but at the same time exciting and challenging. You get to become mature and more responsible this way.

As a father of 6 great children I can tell you first hand you will never be financially ready in your mind but somehow it always works out as long as you try.  The first 6 months or so seem like the hardest and then it seems like second nature.  The best advice has already been given, make sure your there for the beautiful birth and spend as much time as you can being there for your child........that's all that really matters in life.

Fucking awesome man. Congrats. I will give you some of the best advice you can get. Quit worrying, you will be able to provide just fine. People tell horror stories about how much they cost but its really not that bad aside from birthing the lil bastards. I would say buy diapers NOW! Buy them in all sizes. Tell others to get you diapers. That will save you so much.

This may be a little personal but Im a nurse and a teacher so I cant resist. Have mom breast feed. If nothing else for at least a month. She will pass along immunities and breast milk is just far superior to formula. Breast fed babies are smarter, live longer and have fewer health problems on average. If she cant stand it for 6 months to a year at least the first month. The colostrum is very important for the child. DONT sweat it. Enjoy it!  :grin2: :grin2: :grin2: :grin2:

I remember bringing my first home from the hospital, laying her on the floor all bundled up and staring at her thinking "Now what the fuck do I do?" The answer is nothing. The kid will let you know when they need something, including discipline and guidance. Just smile alot and be patient. Oh and encourage a pacifier. I know some people will yell no but it is the best way to go. Let them have it for the first year and then at age one they get to trade it for a toy. If that doesnt work just snip the end of the pacifier with scissors and the kid will not want to suck on it. If you DONT give them a pacifier and then they start sucking a finger or thumb good fucking luck getting them to quit before age 6.

congratulations. I've been thinkin about bein a dad lately, not becuase i want to be one yet, i wanna wait at least 10 yrs from now but i've gotten two nephews in the past year and a half from a sister and a brother. You really do grow attached to babies. I never thought it was true, but babies are really little bundles of joy.

congratulations. I've been thinkin about bein a dad lately, not becuase i want to be one yet, i wanna wait at least 10 yrs from now but i've gotten two nephews in the past year and a half from a sister and a brother. You really do grow attached to babies. I never thought it was true, but babies are really little bundles of joy.

:iamwithstupid: .... Well... When they are not being bastards.  :wink::evil6:

Dont act like you dont know that those girls will act just like you. They will.  :evil:

wonder why tommie hasn't replied to this already...probably runnin out to see if they still make chastity belts

Didn't I tell you I was rasing my girls to replace me when I am gone so they can make sure you get bothered all the way to the grave shug?  :haha: :haha:

You can not escape me bro. But the devil part does not kick in till they hit 16.  :angel:  :angel: >>>>  :evil: :evil:

but the mouth starts at about 9...they dig that sassy mouth out from behind their tonsils and automatically know how to use it :haha::evil6: luck with that one...but urself several jars of rub on patience...sooths the presence of a burgeoning prepubescent female