PS3 optical sound problem

JH2688

Ok, I recently connected my PS3 to my parents TV. and they have a 5.1 dvd surround system. I connected my PS3 to the receiver using an optical cable. but when i watch a Blu-ray movie i cannot get the 5.1 surround to work. the best i can get is a 2 channel sound. this really sucks because 5.1 sound is much better than a 2channel sound.

I've tried every setting on the PS3, and still nothing. What am i doing wrong?

Ok, I recently connected my PS3 to my parents TV. and they have a 5.1 dvd surround system. I connected my PS3 to the receiver using an optical cable. but when i watch a Blu-ray movie i cannot get the 5.1 surround to work. the best i can get is a 2 channel sound. this really sucks because 5.1 sound is much better than a 2channel sound.

I've tried every setting on the PS3, and still nothing. What am i doing wrong?

You need to switch it to "bitstream" under sound/optical settings. It will tell you that with this setting some sound may not work but it is wrong. That is how to fix your problem.  :grin2: :grin2:

The only way to get lossless is with HDMI but the 5.1 through optical sounds great!

yeah i switch to "bitstream" and it does not work. but it will work on "linear pcm". when its on linear pcm the receiver shows only a 2 channel stereo sound, but sound is 5.1. it uses "pro logic II" surround. it will not use dolby digital.

I think it might be because the receiver cannot decode trueHD surround sound. it is an older receiver.

on the playstation side

using Linear pcm the playstation shows it is is trueHD 5.1

but when its in bitstream is shows it in multichannel

yeah i switch to "bitstream" and it does not work. but it will work on "linear pcm". when its on linear pcm the receiver shows only a 2 channel stereo sound, but sound is 5.1. it uses "pro logic II" surround. it will not use dolby digital.

I think it might be because the receiver cannot decode trueHD surround sound. it is an older receiver.

on the playstation side

using Linear pcm the playstation shows it is is trueHD 5.1

but when its in bitstream is shows it in multichannel

Oh ok. The problem you have then is that the PS3 will not send the fully decoded signal through optical. It will send the uncoded signal that can then be decoded by your reciever but if you have an older reciever you are screwed as far as optical. You can use HDMI to carry it already decoded but if your reciever is that old it probably doesnt have HDMI switching. You may be able to run HDMI from PS3 to the TV then optical from TV to reciever. I dont know that it will work though. The bitstream should work, your reciever should decode it.... Hmmm. I dont know, you may have to use the cables that came with it to move your sound. Good luck man.

No, if your reciever is decoding the signal to 2 chan it should be able to decode it it DD I would think. Are you missing a setting on your reciever. Maybe it thinks it is recieving a decoded signal and is not trying to do it.

I don't have HMDI.

I agree with you, It should work.

I'll keep looking around, but if i cant find anything i'll just keep it in linear pcm.

Good luck man. I do know for a fact that in order to get 5.1 through optical it must be set on bitstream. While your trouble shooting you may want to have it set on that. Let us know how it works out.  :grin2: