Are they cheating on me?

Ricow

Hy everyone!  :grin2:

I'm about to sue my cable company over some failures, but i need to know your opinion about something else.  :roll:

Wherever i trace route to, there's always a common route where the data passes through. Should I ping any IP in the world, it's always going to hit first 10.138.0.1 (CMTS Interface) and then 10.11.0.211 (gateway to the Last Mile as they don't own a backbone) and so on. Let's call that as "network #1".

Well, except for these 4 IPs addresses. 3 out of those 4 are the DNS's, whilst the last one is the IP to the server WHERE THEIR SPEED TEST FILE IS HOSTED! The only common hop between any route and those 4 IP addresses is the CMTS (of course). Even the gateway to the internet is not hit when pinging those 4 IPs, as it goes through a different router (10.11.0.202)! Let's call this as "network #2".

Such server is hosted in a data center 400 miles aways from here. How can it be directly reached from a local link, crossing two backbones, without hitting a single hop? It must be a VPN!!! I bet they put the test file in a private network so that they cannot be blamed for "external network" issues. That's cheating!

Proof? Lets:

The very first windows are trace routes towards those 4 IP addresses (take a look at the second hop):

allc.th.jpg

The following two IPs resolve to the same domain "static.corp.wayinternet.com.br". Nevertheless, they go through Network #1:

closee.th.jpg

The following addresses are in the EXACTLY same block of IPs as the ones in Network #2 (200.150.13.1-255):

sameroutes.th.jpg

I also trace routed the IP where test file is hosted from a server i own in Dallas, take a look at how many Telemar's (data carrier and DC owner) routers get reached. I know they are probably not inside the DC, but it doesn't matter where you are from, there's no way to reach the facility without getting into their backbone:

shellf.th.jpg

Anyone has another explanation?

Txs a lot!  :azn: