Trying to get the hang of this...

diamondtim

I want to understand,honest! My connection test says my speed is like 342kb,but the file i'm downloading is only moving at a rate of like 8.6 kb...am I doing something wrong,or is this one of the things I'm supposed to learn by doing? There's gotta be a way to speed this up a bit...also,why are there two or three copies of the torrent file i'm downloading? :?::?: :?:

Your only going to download as fast as the clients you are connected to are allowing.

Your firewall nust be open port specific to the client your using.

Your modem bootfile can be allocated to 3, 5 , or even 20 and up Mbps, but that's not the way torrents work. The program, or whatever, is converted into a torrent , and "broken" up into chunks, this way, you can download a different chunk from different client, You take small chunks of the data your downloading from as little as 1, up to any concievable number, depending on how many machines have that specific data on them, as well as a torrent serving client. This does several things, someo of which are there's no costly server sitting there serving up terrabytes of data, and the download can be paused , and you are pretty much insured that if your doing something you shouldn't be, then there's always a great possibility that in one or more of the "chunks" of data, some dork put something you don't want on your machine. Yea, like a virus.

Although open source programs arent ususally targeted, torrents are a great p2p way to distibute those free operating systems, and such that the community has developed together.

Thats about as far as my knowledge takes me, besides a few small specifics. I'm sure there's others here that can explain a bit further.

I'm bobbing all over the speed spectrum,but apparently it's still working...I just have a habit of trying to pick things apart to figure out why things work the way they do. Thanx for the info and laymans talk...mucho appreciated...

:idiot2::uglystupid2::idiot2:

Most importantly, make sure you can be reached by other clients, I mean make sure that the specific port for that torrent program is open, most of them have a "port check" .

Just play around a bit, you'll get it, and ask, thats how we all learn  :)

So far as I can tell,I believe my ports are configured correctly,since my torrent is still downloading...will it interrupt my dwnld if I run one of the tests from this site to be sure? Also,Is it possible for other users to view into my system or get access to it through the torrent process?