Getting faster than 8.x MB/s on speed test.

instabin

Im not trying to brush your question off but have you tried any of the options listed in here? http://www.testmy.net/t-2097 - I actually got a 3Mbps boost by following some of this suggestions.

Also if you are on a wireless connection a lot of things can affect your speed such as interference, distance or even router settings (assuming you have one).

I cant get any faster than 8.x Mb/s on the speed test but when I download vista sp1 or windows xp sp3 i get 2.2mb/s

I am on comcast business and have a 16mb connection with 2 mb up

Welcome to Testmy. Glad to have ya. Are you comparing bits to bytes? That may be one problem but it doesnt sound like the only problem. What size test are you using to test with? I would recommend smart test due to the fact if you pick the wrong size file to test with you will get an inaccurate result.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_rate_units <---  for anyone who might want to read.

Im not trying to brush your question off but have you tried any of the options listed in here? http://www.testmy.net/t-2097 - I actually got a 3Mbps boost by following some of this suggestions.

Also if you are on a wireless connection a lot of things can affect your speed such as interference, distance or even router settings (assuming you have one).

Welcome to you as well. Futurama is the bomb!  :grin2: :grin2:

I am on a wired connection.

I am not comparing bits to bytes.

The highest speed I can get on testmy.net 8.4mb/s or 1024kbps

I have a 16mg connection from comcast and can download from Microsoft at 2.3mb/s or 2355.2kbps

Any ideas why I cant get the speed test to show my ture speed.  the file I downloaded from microsoft was almost 500mb

• 1 month later...

Bump!

Im still having the same problem.

please don't bump the threads , it's annoying, plus the rules state please dont do that lol Just looks strange for one thing, just ask your question :)

I'de enjoy getting this going, so, what have you done so far to your system to try and fix this issue.

What is your network setup look like ?  The more info i have about your specific situation, the better I can pinpoint the problem, so post  up  :)

There's no way you should be only getting half of what you pay for, so the issue is either in your network configuration, including your system, or the bootfile on the modem, but were gonna get right into the network config first, so we can eliminate this one by one.

I have tried cable nut.

also I dont think its a problem with my connection as i can download from microsoft at 2.3mbytes/second stated in firefox when download vista sp1 and xp sp3

Its just when I do the speed test i cant get any faster than 8mbits/second or 1mbyte/second...

Cable modem - ipcop - network

IPcop has transparent proxy for web filtering. Also I am using opendns for my dns servers.

I didnt use cable nut with vista.....

But any way the problem is the web proxy. With it enabled I can only get a max of 8mg with it disabled i get any where form 15 to 22 mb/second

My signature shows the 2 results. any way to fix it. Im using ipcop with advance proxy and url filter

Cablenut doesn't really work with Vista! You can't modify the stack like you can with XP. Vista is what it is a Demo that should not of come out. The new Windows 7 will be much better! :wink:

There is actually a way to use it, check this topic for further instructions. I'm using it on vista here at the office.

I have tried cable nut.

also I dont think its a problem with my connection as i can download from microsoft at 2.3mbytes/second stated in firefox when download vista sp1 and xp sp3

Its just when I do the speed test i cant get any faster than 8mbits/second or 1mbyte/second...

Cable modem - ipcop - network

IPcop has transparent proxy for web filtering. Also I am using opendns for my dns servers.

Anytime you use a proxy , your bandwidth is effected. I haven't used IPcop, but many do, what is the configuration, do you have a home built server / router, or what ?

I didnt use cable nut with vista.....

But any way the problem is the web proxy. With it enabled I can only get a max of 8mg with it disabled i get any where form 15 to 22 mb/second

My signature shows the 2 results. any way to fix it. Im using ipcop with advance proxy and url filter

smc cable modem / router supplied by Comcast business

Ipcop with static external address. (3.0GHz p4 with 1 GB ram) addons (advance proxy, url filter, block out traffic)

2 windows 2003 domain controlers / dns frowarder pointed to opendns.orgs dns servers.

I'm sure you can configure that proxy properly.

Ya I dont see anything wrong with the proxy....

I just dont understand why I can download from MS at 2.3 meg/sec but not get the speed test to run at that. (with the proxy enabled)

For one thing, they (MS) has the chit on servers as you could imagine, and I would dare to bet, that in the configuration files of  "allowed " or something like that, IP's that MS is in there, so there unrestricted. Maybe not. I need to look closer at ipcop, to have a clue as to what I'm talkn about, I gotta run out , but when i get back I'll do that.

Its not a proxy web site. Its a proxy server running on my ipcop locally.

The proxy is a squid proxy server....

I use it for web content filtering and web caching... so we use less bandwidth...

I would have known that if i would have informed myself about it like I had intentions of it.  I have very little experience with squid, but some.

Well it's obvious that this is much more then a caching issue, I have to ask though, if your goal is to use less bandwidth, my question would be is this located on your machine, or do you have it set up on a separate machine that is used as a router / firewall and such.  I have a machine that (is not in use right now ) that runs specifically as a router / firewall.  The more security I set, the slower it became. Cache or not.

Setup as stated before

SMC Cable modem from Comcast ---->

IPcop with web proxy, urlfiltering, and block out traffic (P4 3.0GHz w/ 1GB RAM) Yes this is a seperate machine) ---->

Internal network

The only thing i see bandwidth droped or limited on is the testmy.net speed test....

Here is the cpu and memory usage graphs. The large spike in the cpu with the large drop in mem usage are b/c of scheduled reboots.

stats.jpg

Microsoft use the Microsoft web server (IIS) as a basis for their proxy server component, and Microsoft proxy thus only accepts incoming proxy request on port 80. If you are installing a Squid system to replace either CERN, Apache or IIS running in both web-server and cache-server modes on the same port, you will have to set http_port to 80. Squid is written only as a high-performance proxy server, so there is no way for it to function as a web server, since Squid has no support for reading files from a local disk, running CGI scripts and so forth. There is, however, a workaround.

If you have both services running on the same port, and you cannot change your client PCs, do not despair. Squid can accept requests in web-server format and forward them to another server. If you have only one machine, and you can get your web server software to accept incoming requests on a non-default port (for example 81), Squid can be configured to forward incoming web requests to that port. This is called accelerator mode (since its initial purpose was to speed up very slow web servers). Squid effectively does some translation on the original request, and then simply acts as if the request were a proxy request and connects to the host: the fact that it's not a remote host is irrelevant. Accelerator mode is discussed in more detail in chapter 9. Until then, get Squid installed and running on another port, and work your way through the first couple of chapters of this book, until you have a working pilot-phase system. Once Squid is stable and tested you can move on to changing web server settings.

source

Might want to read this .........

That has nothing to do with my setup

Your quoted text looks like its concerning Microsoft's internet gateway solution witch I do not have.

Since my proxy server is also my gateway here is how it works.

Request going out of my network on port 80 are rerouted to the proxy server on port 8080

The proxy server request the page from the internet then filters any "bad" address and send it on the the requesting computer

Also the block out traffic add-on lets me block all outgoing traffic (except ports that I allow) so that ppl cannot use torrents or limewire.

Anyway Im still trying to figure out why I only have problems with testmy.net when the proxy is enable and not having issues with any other sites.

That has nothing to do with my setup

Your quoted text looks like its concerning Microsoft's internet gateway solution witch I do not have.

Since my proxy server is also my gateway here is how it works.

Request going out of my network on port 80 are rerouted to the proxy server on port 8080

The proxy server request the page from the internet then filters any "bad" address and send it on the the requesting computer

Also the block out traffic add-on lets me block all outgoing traffic (except ports that I allow) so that ppl cannot use torrents or limewire.

Anyway Im still trying to figure out why I only have problems with testmy.net when the proxy is enable and not having issues with any other sites.

The link is actually from the "squid" configuration help page.  I was under the influence that was your issue.

Well if testmy.net is the site your having an issue with,try logging out, and testing, let me know what the results are.