windows 7 problem

starship_troopers

ok so in windows xp my system is fine..except i never did fix the problem that i cant figure out there where the net cuts out after about 10 minutes...

but anyway, in windows 7 (same computer, its dual booted) my display was fine, but now wont go up past 1024x768...its supposed to be at 1680x1050...big difference...im in the process of downloading a new driver but hwo could it work one night then the next day be messed up?

and if the drivers dont fix this then what else is there to do?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_x86_181.71_beta.html

i used this one. i have the 32 bit windows 7 installed.

still my resolution was 1680x1050

now my only options are 1024x768 and 800x600...and i have a acer AL2216w widescreen monitor 22 inch.

edit. everything works in xp though so it has to be something that happened in windows 7...since it worked last night but today it decided to do this

i should also note that my monitor just went black and after pushing keyboard buttons, moving the mouse, etc. it said no signal....

also my monitor the last few days has been turning black while my computer is on and running and then coming back to normal...

it only does this in windows 7 that i have witnessed.

Since your card is old, maybe you would be better off with the original drivers that came windows 7. Have you try to roll back the driver using Device Manager. I think the original drivers did not have PhysX as part of the drivers.

The only thing I can think of right now is to go into Control Panel / Programs and Features and uninstall all of your video drivers and reboot the computer. See what drivers windows 7 puts back in after the reboot. If it still does not work ,try reinstalling the drivers yourself.

ok yeah, drivers update didnt work...man this stinks...i may be forced to delete everythign and fresh install xp again over this all so i dont have to worry about it...that would suck...

help please

Don't do that yet, hang in there a bit more.

What exactly is cutting out, what message do you get ?

Iv'e seen a wireless connection act like this improperly configured, do you have a wireless connection?

Are you using windows wireless, or device specific if you do?

i used to use my linksys program. for wireless in xp...

but it just stops working, my messengers will work just fine though, just no connection to the net through my browsers.  :wink:

i get no errors, and it still says im connected just fine...my browsers wont connect at all but yet my messengers and even games will play fine online

although i can barely use windows 7 in this crappy resolution on my big monitor without getting a headache i seem to be at a standstill :P  :evil6:

i used to use my linksys program. for wireless in xp...

but it just stops working, my messengers will work just fine though, just no connection to the net through my browsers.  :wink:

i get no errors, and it still says im connected just fine...my browsers wont connect at all but yet my messengers and even games will play fine online

although i can barely use windows 7 in this crappy resolution on my big monitor without getting a headache i seem to be at a standstill :P  :evil6:

XP used to do that, I have something saved that fixed another machine at one time, it's worht a try.

What it was that windows was constantly looking for a connection, something breaks, and there you go. Try these steps, see what happens.

1. restart computer.

2. double click on the network icon in taskbar

3. click advanced

4. check ON the "Use windows to manage wireless networking"

5. click ok

2. connect to my network

4. click advanced

5. check OFF the "Use windows to manage wireless networking"

6. close all windows.

But the next time you start windows , it will do the same thing.

I have another one, but it's long and nasty, if this doesn't solve the issue, we'll try it, k ?

Also disable"Enable IEEE 802.1x"

I never try this before on a dual booted computer, so I really did not want to recommend it. But I just try it on my dual booted computer [Kubuntu & Windows 7 ] and it worked fine. Do a system restore back to before you had the problem with the monitor if you can.

edit- Make sure when you windows update after the restore that you do not install the video card update.

well bad news...my windows xp wouldnt load....at all....and my windows 7 was stuck in 16 colors...then i rebooted and then it wouldnt load...it just hung up on the boot screen...so without a way to install anything...i am now on a fresh xp install....  :cry2:

i lost everything. including files i had just taken off of my jump drive.... :undecided:

but hey at least everything works ok now...and for some reason my resolution instead of going to 1680x1050 now wants me to be at 2048x1536 ...i just have it at 1680x1050 though.

edit....also, right before i rebooted the last time in windows 7 i had found an app called and i quote "windows networking calla"

That Sucks. Sorry to here that you lost your files. That is one of the reasons why I have windows7 on a external harddrive. If something goes wrong my Vista files are still safe on the internal harddrive.