Home networking

keith1178

I hate to bother with such a simple question, but I am having a hard time figuring this out again.  I have a pc and laptop on my wireless network and am trying to set up print sharing so that I can print from the laptop...Both computers are running Vista but I have been messing with it for a few hours now and have gotten nowhere....Any help would be greatly appreciated.

keith...just let me tell you...you aren't bothering anyone with any questions that you have no matter how simple you might think the problem is...there is someone else that's wanting to ask the same question. so in asking your question you are helping someone else.

keith...just let me tell you...you aren't bothering anyone with any questions that you have no matter how simple you might think the problem is...there is someone else that's wanting to ask the same question. so in asking your question you are helping someone else.

:iamwithstupid: :iamwithstupid: :iamwithstupid: :iamwithstupid: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

I hate to bother with such a simple question, but I am having a hard time figuring this out again.  I have a pc and laptop on my wireless network and am trying to set up print sharing so that I can print from the laptop...Both computers are running Vista but I have been messing with it for a few hours now and have gotten nowhere....Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What printer are you trying to use ? May of them now have network capabilities, or, you could use "CUPS" .

ok....no luck either way...I set up the network to the best of my ability and nothing......downloaded bonjour and it says there are no printers on the network....any other ideas

Bonjour must be set up on all machines you want to be able to print on.

Do you at least have the printer working on one machine ?

Have you setup file and printer sharing on all of the computers ?

Also look in the router configuration for the SPI firewall, if there is a setting to allow certain packets for an internal network , you may want to review them.

I'm still looking for the actual GUI for the router to understand this particular router better.

disabled the spi firewall and still nothing.......this is just frustrating.....everything worked fine until i had to do a factory restore on the pc

Sometimes printers can be a real bear to get right between operating systems, so don't get worked up, it stops the learning process, ask me, I work on that all day  :haha:

What do you mean by factory restore ? A system restore ? Did you configure it before, of did it just work.

Seems you have lost the permissions, just go slow, and look through everything, there's obviously one little thing that is stopping the detection between machines.

Do you have any third party firewalls, or antivirus' that may be interfering ?

I had to restore to factory settings because one of my kids did something and windows would not even boot....yes before that I had set up a home network and was able to print and view files from my pc on my laptop.

:lost: Well hell. You know what that means. It will be the simplest, smallest lil solution. You will find it.  :grin2:

I had to restore to factory settings because one of my kids did something and windows would not even boot....yes before that I had set up a home network and was able to print and view files from my pc on my laptop.

Do you have any program that might be stopping the traffic ? Many firewalls and spyware programs will have something like this built in, and just need to be set up .