What's the real deal with firefox??

timmers83

I've been using firefox for security reasons and really love it, but is it a myth that it's faster than internet explorer?  I've tested this about 20 times now.  comcast.net loads in a little over 4 seconds in firefox, closer to 2 seconds in IE!  I tested it on a friend's PC with similar results.  What's the deal??  I thought firefox was supposed to be faster.  Maybe the new updates I downloaded actually improved IE.

It's definitely slower according to everyone I know who uses it. In fact, at the last place I worked, we had to revert back to IE because FF was slowing everything down.

But as REH alluded to, it's just more popular because of the security issues.

Ive used them all best still to me is IE. I use IE and nerver get spyware nerver get crap on my computer ever. I think is the users using IE that get spyware and exploits through IE. IE takes less system to run and its faster and i like the lay out becuase im used to it.

I was really getting fired up over Firefox and some of the features and plou-ins, but now I only use it at work with a T-1 connection. I have DWay at home, and there is a 400-500 Kbps difference in speed tests between FF and IE :-(

I suppose when Mircosoft figures out that tabbed browsing is so popular, they will add it and FF will die a slow and painful death.

I was also reading somewhere on here that some people have been testing the security claims of FF agains IE on XPSP2 and found many, many holes in FF, security wise.

I think the real reason firefox is said to be more secure is because it is not very widely used, so most viruses and spyware are targeted at internet explorer.  We'll all just have to wait and see how secure FF really is when malware starts being programmed to target it.  Hopefully, newer versions of FF will address the speed issue as well.