computer dont work

JH2688

well, i was using divx converter, trying to get some of my videos into a divx format. I just let it run, and when i came back nothing shows up. my monitor goes into its sleep mode, while my computer is still running(i think). the computer seems a little louder than usual, and i cannot shut it off. only way i can shut it off is to unplug it. the power button does nothing.

I need help.

heres my specs:

windows xp pro

AMD athlon x2 2.4 GHz

2 gig ram

ATI radeon 3850 graphics card

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have plugged it back in and turned it back on a few times. i just unplugged the monitor and plugged it back in. and still nothing. the monitor says "no signal" when i turn it on.

i have also taken out my video card, and still nothing. I cant see anything visually wrong with the motherboard or anything else. I would think if something fried then there would be some evidence of it or at least a residual smell.

do you think the cpu is bad. thats the only thing i cant see, but i will keep trying other things and report back

do you get any bios beeps? and you are right if it was the card we'd know usually first off.

maybe the vga (or DVI) cord on the monitor blew? it could just be a wire, but without more info which we will get, it just takes time, or it could be something bigger. i think the people here can figure anything out so just post up any info you think is good.

like did you get bios beep codes when you powered on or anything like that

idk if this is a problem but, i've had my machine on for about 5-10 minutes now and my cpu's heatsink is cold.

You are pressing whatever keys you usually do to get into the bios , and still nothing ?

Have you tried to unplug the power and cable to the hard drive to see if you can at least get to the bios ?

i unplugged the hard drive ad still nothing. im getting power to the  MB, all the fans are running normal, the lights to the ethernet port are on.

and about the beeps. i get no beeps at all, thats unusual, i believe i should get atleast 1 beep everytime i turn the machine on.

i had the machine running for a while. i already had converted one of my movies before hand. so the cpu was running hot.

to reset the MB all i have to do is remove the little battery in it, right? ( just making sure i do it right)

i unplugged the dvd drive and took out the ram. it still does nothing.

another thing when i unplugged the vga cable from the MB, the monitor says " check cable", and then when i plug it back in, the monitor goes back to sleep.

i've been looking around and reading about others who have had this problem. i've ruled out most of the common problems, I was thinking that the power supply might not be working properly, but i dont know how i would even check it.

another thing was that i corrupted to boot sector by turning off the computer before it had fully booted. I did this early in the day yesterday, but the computer was working fine afterwords. so i don't think this is the problem.

the only reason that would account for this problem is that the MB died. but i really don't want to happen. because i don't have the money to it.

ok i missed this post. it may be your pci slot if nothing else.

and even if yoru cpu isnt working it should get the bios anyway correct?

theres nothing in the pci slot, i took out the video card.

i would think you could get to the bios without a cpu

this is my power supply, i still do not know what im looking for. maybe if you could describe it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817148027

Decent PS but it doesn't look as if it is modular.  Did you try what ryan suggested? that's an idea.

Iv'e never tried that one, don't know if i would.

sounds like 2 things to me...(without reading most of the posts, i appologize) either your power supply is like mudman said, or your motherboard, but im thinking its not your motherboard because the fans and lights still work..it sounds more like a powersupply issue....one time i let my pc go into standby mode and it completely killed the computers power supply.

your powersupply isnt modular....edit...oh wait...mudman already posted :P

hmm...well maybe you can try to get a new power supply? hell since you tried removing and replacing the batter, try to do the same with the cmos jumpers. take the jumper pin and put it back...maybe you can get lucky..im reading up on this on the net from another forum with alot of people having this problem and someone on there said it worked for them

edit. i may have missed this but did you ever say if there were any bios beep codes?

i wouldnt do this unless i had to..but you wondered about your cpu still being cold...umm if your cpu gets hot without the heatsink on it then im almost guaranteeing you its good. but i wouldnt do that unless i had to...i'd be able to turn off the system very quickly.  :wink2:

hmm...so are your case fans plugged into the motherboard or the powersupply...cause if they are plugged into the powersupply and not the motherboard it could be your mobo....and im asking again to make sure...does the harddrive light come on? and does it sound like everythings trying to boot up...like the drive is spinning and all that?