PC game lag

sanjidgmg

I have a Windows Vista home premium computer with an NIVIDA 8500GT graphics card with 256MB, an Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 each core operates at 2.4 GHz, 2 x 4 MB L2 cache, 1066 MHz FSB. I have a 500 GB SATA II hard drive. Dual channel 2048 MB DDR2 memory, Memory Card Reader 15-in-1. I have a 32-bit operating system and 2030 MB of rams. My problem is, however, that I have constant game lag while playing all next gen gaming titles (offline). Games such as Bioshock, Jericho, Call of Duty 4, ect. I am not able to play these games on the highest graphic settings without lag, (sometimes not even fair graphic settings). I don't understand why.

It's your video card, an 8500GT is a low-end card. You could get away with running 1280*1024 as resolution and low quality settings at best, but really nothing higher than that. If you are willing to spend some money on a new video card you will be able to play most new games at high quality. Highest quality is still for machines that are way expensive, and the difference in video quality is less than what you'd think. Of course, I don't know how the prices are in your country, so I'll just await a response on if you're willing to upgrade at all.

I have a Windows Vista home premium computer with an NIVIDA 8500GT graphics card with 256MB, an Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 each core operates at 2.4 GHz, 2 x 4 MB L2 cache, 1066 MHz FSB. I have a 500 GB SATA II hard drive. Dual channel 2048 MB DDR2 memory, Memory Card Reader 15-in-1. I have a 32-bit operating system and 2030 MB of rams. My problem is, however, that I have constant game lag while playing all next gen gaming titles (offline). Games such as Bioshock, Jericho, Call of Duty 4, ect. I am not able to play these games on the highest graphic settings without lag, (sometimes not even fair graphic settings). I don't understand why.

Damn.... You got all your drivers updated? I would start there. Also if you purchased your computer pre installed with a bunch of crapware, that can suck your performance down alot. I would say if you got a bundled copy of vista use Link to get your Vista Product Key (the real key, not the one linked to the crappy bundled Vista that is on a sticker on your pc). Then find you a good, lite version of Vista on BT. I use a version of windows vista that is cut down to about 700 megs from 2+ gigs. I forget where I found it. Its legal, because you dont have to crack your new, clean version as you already purchased a key for Vista with your PC.  If you want to know the Vista install I used just holler. Im kinda rambling at this point.  :haha:

it seems as though he should, but then again some 8500 cards i've personally used wouldnt even run older games with a setup that would normally run it maxed out.  it may just be a driver conflict or something...maybe he's trying to use dx10? those cards cant handle it...and saying that part i dont really know right off the top of my head if those cards can utilize dx10...just a thought

Something is up here. His setup should run those at low settings with no lag IMO.

I'm not sure if he tried that, and note that the 8500GT is a very low-end card, even though it has 'high numbers', last I checked it's beaten by the old 6600GT.

RyanS: The card can theoretically do DX10, but it won't be playable.

I'm not sure if he tried that, and note that the 8500GT is a very low-end card, even though it has 'high numbers', last I checked it's beaten by the old 6600GT.

yeah even though its newer my 7950 could blow it away in dx 9 on most games.

thanks for clearing that up. i thought it could but wasnt sure.

yeah try lowest settings possible, no AA or anything. see if that helps. but i would still go with a new card especially on that sytem its a good build

Well he said on lower settings it still lagged in his OP. I wonder if Ryan might have nailed it. Maybe hes trying to use DX10. I had that same card and it ran the sims 2 at a lower setting which isnt a powerhouse game but I would think it could handle the ones he listed. Im far from being an expert though.

Now that I re read the OP it looks like he is trying for full power. That is the problem, the card just wont handle that.

depending on budget from what i've learned pci express x16 2.0 cards can work in normal 1.0 slots so i'd go for a 9800GT 512mb or if you can spend more the geforce gtx 260 or 285

in teh end i stand by my post here

im buying an 8600 gt 256mb ddr3  graphics card for an old emachines up upgrading along with a new psu and a gig of ram. i doubt this card also would get the big performance that he wants.

i'd go with a 9800 or a gtx 250 or 260. for one tower im getting a gtx260 

if you have an unlimited budget i'd make sure your tower could hold the card and get a gtx 285! especially with the setup you have