new computer

rhapsodyfan

hi everyone

i want to buy a new computer in the next few weeks, and i was wondering which of these i should get. i know these might not be the best computers but its what i can afford for the moment. here is the descriptions.....

1. HP Pavilion A845W-B Desktop PC

HP VF15 15" LCD flat panel monitor

AMD Sempron 3000+ processor (2.00 GHz, 333 FrontSide bus, 512 KB L2 Cache)

60 GB Ultra DMA hard drive

256 MB DDR-SDRAM with up to 64 MB allocated to video memory

Memory expandable to 2 GB

CD Writer drive (CD-RW) with drive speeds of: 48x32x48

Pair of desktop speakers

Front panel 9-1 card reader: Compact Flash I/II - SmartMedia - Memory Stick - Memory Stick Pro - MultiMediaCard - Secure Digital (SD) - IBM MicroDrive, xD

High speed 56K flex modem

Integrated 10/100Base-T networking interface

HP Internet keyboard, HP scroller mouse

Available slots: 2 PCI, 1-AGP; Available external ports: 7 USB 2.0 - 2 Firewire IEEE 1394 - 1 serial - 1 parallel, 2 PS/2; Available Bays: 5.25" (1), 3.25"

Ideally suited for digital photography, digital video and digital entertainment

Easy connection to peripherals such as digital cameras, and rich with software to let you experience more

Access your photos, print a document, access Help functions or adjust the multimedia settings in just one keystroke using the one-touch keys on the HP Internet keyboard

HP Image Zone Plus software - a suite of easy-to-use digital imaging software that helps you edit, store, share and print photographs

Three simple ways to organize your photos makes finding and sharing photos easier than ever

Automatic digital negatives are created to safeguard your photos against accidental deletes or unwanted edits

From wallet size to creative cards, printing your photos is easy with HP Image Zone's built-in templates and and tools

Quickly connect a broad range of HP printers, cameras or scanners using pre-installed drivers

Create custom CDs of your favorite music using the included CD-RW drive

Entertainment software: Apple iTunes for Windows; Sonic RecordNow; Wild Tangent Game Channel

Productivity software: Microsoft Works 8; HP Organize; MSN Encarta Standard Online; Microsoft Office Student and Teacher Edition 2003; Adobe Reader 6.0; Microsoft Software Jukebox

PC security software: Norton AntiVirus 2005; Norton Personal Firewall 2004; SpamSubtract Basic; SpySubtract Basic

Financial: Standard 2005 Microsoft; Quicken 2005 New User Edition

2.Compaq

System RAM:  256 MB DDR-SDRAM

Hard Drive Size:  80 GB Hard Drive

Multimedia Drive:  CD-RW/DVD combo drive

Wireless:  NA

Monitor:  17" Flat Screen CRT Monitor

Processor Brand:  AMD

Processor Type:  Sempron

Processor Speed:  2.0 GHz

Operating System:  Windows XP

Hard Drive Speed (RPM):  7200 rpm Ultra DMA hard drive

Multimedia Drive #2:  9-in-1 memory card reader

3. HP Pavilion vf15 15-inch LCD Flat Panel Monitor Bundle:

15-inch LCD flat panel monitor

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ processor

120 GB (7200rpm) Ultra DMA hard drive

512 MB DDR-SDRAM with up to 64 MB allocated to video memory

512K secondary-level cache

1600 MHz FrontSide bus

8x DVD writer (DVD+-R/RW)

Front panel 9-in-1 digital media card reader: Compact Flash I/II, SmartMedia, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, MultiMediaCard, Secure Digital (SD), IBM MicroDrive and xD

High-speed V.92 56K flex modem (actual speeds may vary)

Integrated 10/100Base-T networking interface

HP Internet keyboard and scroller mouse

Available slots: 2 PCI and 1 AGP

Availble external ports: 7 USB 2.0, 2 FireWire (IEEE 1394), 1 serial, 1 parallel and 1 external VGA monitor port

Software included: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2, Microsoft Works 8.0, Microsoft Money 2005, Intuit Quicken New User's Edition 2005, HP Image Zone Plus digital photography software, Adobe Acrobat Reader, Sonic RecordNow for burning music CDs and DVDs, Apple iTunes for Windows, InterVideo WinDVD Creator and InterVideo WinDVD 5 Player

i am going to use it for music playing and cable internet.  any thoughts?  just basic stuff, thanks alot!!

3. HP Pavilion vf15

Get that 64bit im sure everyone will tell you that also becuase more ram and  bigger hard drive .

Or build your own computer but if you cant build your own go here http://www.ocsystem.com/amdsystems.html there have decent computer for a decent price. I buy computer parts from them and there great people i trust them. But if your going to build your computer go to www.newegg.com

#3 is the best bet... it will be the fastest.. and most likely the most expensive of the 3 choices.  Eitherway you are going to get the HP/compaq quality.. and the tech support from India.. 512 MB DDR-SDRAM with up to 64 MB allocated to video memory  Get a AGP graphics card!

Dedicated means that it has its own memory.. shared means that it uses the system memory.. I would stay away from Shared!!  or replace it with a dedicated card...  It will take memory away from the system.. most of the time in the beginning of the memory so that your seach times in the memory are longer meaning that your system runs slower.. :(

# 1 is fine if your listening to music [and light storage]  and browsing the internet with occasional java games and whatnot. But because of the 256 mb ram, you will not be able to multitask too easily.

# 2 If your using it for Music playing & [ intermediate] storage with internet browsing and light gaming.

# 3 good for [almost] anything you want to do, but will cost you the prettiest penny.

# 1 is fine if your listening to music [and light storage]  and browsing the internet with occasional java games and whatnot. But because of the 256 mb ram, you will not be able to multitask too easily.

# 2 If your using it for Music playing & [ intermediate] storage with internet browsing and light gaming.

# 3 good for [almost] anything you want to do, but will cost you the prettiest penny.

1 and 2 are the exact same.. just different hard drives... one is compaq the other is hp.. both based on the Sempron 3200+ and 256mb of ram..  You will not be able to game with an intergrated card than shares memory on 256mb.. there is just no way..

3 you might be able to but it will not be doom 3 or anything like that..

40 GB = light storage.

80 GB = intermediate storage.

And compaq / hp is the same company..same comps .

As i stated , java games and things of that sort (packman, kid games, etc)  either way,

sempetron 3200 =~= celeron 2.0 GHz  (little less) and i played doom 3, not well but i played it along with far cry and counterstrike w/all mods.  ( didnt say you didnt need to upgrade a few things first, so as i stated java and kid games)

Please,  dont quote me trying to prove my suggestions / statements incorrect unless you know completely  what it is that talking about.

sempetron 3200 =~= celeron 2.0 GHz  (little less) and i played doom 3, not well but i played it along with far cry and counterstrike w/all mods.  ( didnt say you didnt need to upgrade a few things first, so as i stated java and kid games)

pcmark2002.gif

Well lets see here 2800+ sempron vs. 2.8 celeron..  3200+ is FASTER than a 2.0 celeron.. of course it is slower in the memory department than the celeron because of the fsb difference..  533 vs 333 just incase you didnt know that.. O by the way.. the new D series is a hell of alot faster then the Celeron of the past generation...

Here is a handy little guide for you:

chart_006.png

Please,  dont quote me trying to prove my suggestions / statements incorrect unless you know  completely  what it is that talking about.

I only quote people who dont know what the hell they are talking about.. like you

As for doom 3.. if we reference the chart above.. the 3000+ is about the same a a P4 520(2.8 ) on the 925x chip set.. running DDRII 533.. well if we take that an reference Hard OCP's hardware guide for Doom 3 here is what they say...http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQ0LDg=

look like you will be able to run doom 3 fine.. if you want even more proof check out the 2500+ XP processor.. http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQ0LDY=

40 GB = light storage.

80 GB = intermediate storage.

And compaq / hp is the same company..same comps .

I think that 60gig is light now a days.. there are very few off the shelf computers that have anything less than 60gigs..  Apple is the only one that offer of the shelf systems with 40 gigs..

120 gigs is about intermediate..    Between DVD movies, mp3, pictures, and other crap 120 has become the intermediate standard for most computer companies..

Yes, Hp/Compaq are the same.. HP offers high quality components than Compaq.. that is how it has always been..  If you are looking low budget stick with comaq.. you can get more for your money.. if you want some high quality parts, processors, hard drives, graphics, and other stuff.. Hp is the way to go.. However, you are still going to get the tech support from india..

I think that I might know what I am talking about.. or maybe I dont..  But i for sure as hell know that a a 3000 isnt slower than 2.0 on a celeron.. by the way the next time that you tell me that AMD makes a 3200+ Sempron I am going to scream and run away!!  the fastest that they make is the 3100+  maybe you need to research before you post.. 

sempetron 3200 =~= celeron 2.0 GHz

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_11599_11604,00.html  that lets you know what processor are currently available for the Sempron platform..

dern Swimmer, this reminds me i need a upgrade  Crying or Very sad

5975 p on my AMD 1700+  :haha:

that AMD 3400+ did real well, beated the 3500+ by far

but the 3500+ peform very well in other tests, i think i will go for that when upgrade  Very Happy

VanBuren Smile

if you are interested.. I found this mobo.. it look really intersting.. http://www.asrock.com/product/product_k8_combo-z.htm

13-157-035-02.JPG

that would be a mobo with the 754 and 939 support for the 64s and the sempron  3100+  :haha::roll:    Take a look it looks like a good mobo here is a review.. http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1699&page=1

but this also means that you get to deal with jumpers from hell if you want to switch between the 2 platforms..

:haha: yea i can imagine me flip some jumpers wrong and mess up whole mobo and CPU, no thanks !

:lol: :lol: :lol:

i have a FX 5900 Ultra and was thinking about buying a package fast enough to be playable for 3 to 4 years with latest games

i figure i swap videocard in 1 to 2 year

VanBuren :)

I would go 64bit... beginning next year 64bit games will begin to appear with the release of Windows xp 64 edition..  5900 is a nice graphics card!! but you are going to want the option to go PCIe in the future..  Well good luck!  IF you find something let me know! I would love to see what you come up with!

I only quote people who dont know what the hell they are talking about.. like you

Im not going to waste my time reading all that and debating with you since your so f***ing uber 1337, but yes. YOur right, my bad master. When it comes down to the skinny i forgot how valuable thoes 39 extra MHz realy are, that seperate the 2 processors. 

GG my friend, GG

thanks for the suggestions everyone :D looks like i will go with number 3. one other question? i am going to give this computer i am on now away to a reletive, its a hp computer and i was wondering if i can uninstall all hp releated programs that come installed when first bought??? he will be using diffrent printer and soundcard. thanks again!!