How do I create a Local "DNS Cache for Faster Web Browsing"?

sharky2009

I keep reading online about all of these methods to get this done but I see that I need stuff like Ubuntu? or dsmasq?

I don't know what the heck these things are....

I just want to be able to use the DNS service to store stuff automatically in my host file (I guess this is how it would work) then when I want to delete it I would just "flushdns".

Is there any way to get this done?

Do I have to install Ubuntu or some other stuff?

My OS is Microsoft Windows XP SP3.

I keep reading online about all of these methods to get this done but I see that I need stuff like Ubuntu? or dsmasq?

I don't know what the heck these things are....

I just want to be able to use the DNS service to store stuff automatically in my host file (I guess this is how it would work) then when I want to delete it I would just "flushdns".

Is there any way to get this done?

Do I have to install Ubuntu or some other stuff?

My OS is Microsoft Windows XP SP3.

What exactly are you interested in storing about your DNS ?

The DNS service automatically stores queries in a cache and updates them as necessary..

Setting up another pc with dnsmasq just adds another layer of caching.  Kinda like having a computer dedicated to looking up ip addresses.

Unless you have a connection with really high latency, I don't think you'll notice much of a difference though. Especially if you regularly visit new sites

The only problem with storing DNS entries is....

The DNS entry could become stale (out of date), then the DNS entry is no longer valid, this does not happen to much with static IP websites but in some instances it can be a pain in the butt.

I am caching DNS entries collected by my Windows 2003 Server just to speed up my lookup times, I also have a bunch of entries in the DNS for other devices and computers on my home network, from time to time the cached entries will not work and I have to purge the cached items manually, Windows is clearing the cache or should I say it will purge anything over 24 hours old and renew the entries.

Not sure of your reasons as we all have our own reasons to do things, but you should leave Windows to do its own work.