Help, just got satellite internet!

leonzo

Ok so i just got satellite internet installed at my new place yesterday (because DSL and cable were unavailable) and its seems to be going way to slow to even be comparable to DSL. For example, one of the games i play regularly usually is fine in the green latency bar with about 250ms average when i had DSL, but now with satellite (HughesNet) im red baring the latency at about 1250ms average.  Also my web page load time is very slow. And it cant be due to weather because its a nice sunny day right now. Im thinking i should call them to get someone to come out and check it out because resetting the modem didnt help. Any ideas?

Welcome to the forum, unfortunantly those are things you are probably going to have with satellite. I doubt they can fix it. The game latency is going to always be pretty bad because your shooting your info up into space, it gets shot back down and goes where you want it to go. Then the information coming back does the same routine. Latency is going to be a problem. Your pages should not load real slow but your browsing will not be as fast as with DSL. If you have DSL as an option that is probably where I would go.

these are my download speeds... there has to be something wrong

share2-SA4G72C9B

Generally when both your download and upload are showing slow, that could mean the dish is out of alignment.

I am guessing you have the HN9000 modem, so you would be on the newish satellite spaceway3,For new installs.. you should also use at least the 1.5MB test for testing speeds.

type in to your browser  192.168.0.1  to access your modems error codes and it should say your connection stats. Your receive signal strength should be in the 150 range (very roughly). I am on DSL, so it is from other posts that the information comes from....

And latency could be in the 600ms range , but software on the system makes it in the 1000ms range. To enable more customers to get on the system.

You are aware of FAP right?

http://go.gethughesnet.com/faq/fair-access-policy.cfm

Latency will be around 600ms at the minimum, which is perfectly normal for Hughesnet.  Signal has a long way to travel, nothing can be done about it.  FPS games are out of the question.

Unless you play online chess, gameing is going to be very difficult.

You are aware of FAP right?

http://go.gethughesnet.com/faq/fair-access-policy.cfm

Latency will be around 600ms at the minimum, which is perfectly normal for Hughesnet.  Signal has a long way to travel, nothing can be done about it.  FPS games are out of the question.

Unless you play online chess, gameing is going to be very difficult.

:iamwithstupid: