Another question from anniebags

anniebags57

You have all been so helpful to a newbie to BTing and as I have not been getting much (read no help from BT client forums), I'm back here again to ask for advice.  Having said that about BT, I did write directly to BT (I wrote to the advertising department! as no other email address seemed relevant) because the manuals I was reading bore little resemblance to the Mac interface and I did get a very quick and clear response from BT, clarifying that yes, the manuals were for the Windows client and giving me the heads up that I should go to utorrent - I know someone here (shug?) recommended that to me.....so that's something else to do....

Anyway I have been successful at downloading a VCD file (an Allman Brothers concert from 1970 - very special if you are into them). However I have never worked with the type of files that have come out of the downloaded torrent and want to get a DVD done asap as you can imagine!  There are two files - a BIN file (which seems to be an archive file that needs to be opened - I haven't done that yet) and a CUE file - I don't know what sort of file this is....

A Google search revealed a product called BLINDWRITE, which says it can do the trick but I cannot find anywhere on their site to say whether it is Mac compatible.  Nor is there a contact means for them.

Anyway, can anyone make any recommendations re where I go from here.  Note am running Leopard on a Mac.

Thanks muchly in advance.  Good to be here.

Annie 

That is an iso file. It is a exact disc image and easy to burn to disc. It is all ready to go.

http://download.cnet.com/Active-ISO-Burner/3000-2646_4-10602452.html?tag=mncol

If I find out the file you are downloading and burning is copyrighted I will remove this thread. I am assuming it is not or you wouldnt be asking here since we dont discuss illegal ripping/burning here.  :grin2: :grin2: :grin2:

I k ow when I need to burn a DVD on my mac all I do is right click on the desktop, create new burn folder, (name the folder whatever is applicable)  then transfer the data into that folder, open the folder and click burn. Of course files need to be the proper format before being able to play them from the DVD, they will be there, but itf you don't have them in the correct extensions then you wont be doing much other then storing the files on a DVD.

Of course all you really need to do if the file is small enough for a CD is drag the .cue file (must be in the same folder as the .bin) to toast and burn to CD it's most likely a SVCD image make sure you use an 80 min. CD-R, unless it's bigger then that.

Hey All

Thanks again for your help.  Very much appreciated.. 

That is an iso file. It is a exact disc image and easy to burn to disc. It is all ready to go.

http://download.cnet.com/Active-ISO-Burner/3000-2646_4-10602452.html?tag=mncol

If I find out the file you are downloading and burning is copyrighted I will remove this thread. I am assuming it is not or you wouldn't be asking here since we dint discuss illegal ripping/burning here.  :grin2: :grin2: :grin2:

Shug...no from all the research I did, I don't believe it is copyrighted - it is certainly not available commercially as I checked (I actually like to just go to my local media store and buy things in nice neat packages off the shelf - easier and you get neat booklets and stuff too (ain't I a sucker for the marketers!)  The songs are all available on You Tube and I know how strict they are in removing any copyright material.

Shug, the link you provided to Active ISO Burner indicates that it is for Windows and I am running Mac so wouldn't be compatible - is that correct?

Mudman, thanks very much for your instructions - I have never done this on my Mac (just lack of experience/need):

I k ow when I need to burn a DVD on my mac all I do is right click on the desktop, create new burn folder, (name the folder whatever is applicable)  then transfer the data into that folder, open the folder and click burn. Of course files need to be the proper format before being able to play them from the DVD, they will be there, but itf you don't have them in the correct extensions then you wont be doing much other then storing the files on a DVD.

Can I just clarify, that I create the burn folder (have done that) and drag the CUE and BIN files into that folder and then there will be an instruction that simply says BURN.  I am assuming when you say the files need to be in the proper format before they can be played from the DVD that CUE and BIN files are such files? 

Can I also just confirm that I need to drag BOTH the CUE and the BIN file into the burn folder?  Since my post I did some more research and I understand that the CUE file points to the BIN file (sounds like I know what I'm talking about but actually I have no idea what that means lol!).

The BIN file says it is 346.7 MB but isn't that the compressed/archived size?  Do I need to unzip it before I burn it from the Burn folder?

Of course all you really need to do if the file is small enough for a CD is drag the .cue file (must be in the same folder as the .bin) to toast and burn to CD it's most likely a SVCD image make sure you use an 80 min. CD-R, unless it's bigger then that.

I don't have toast (have relied on just the freeware within my Mac to date as have not needed any special burning capabilities......

Thank you all very much for your help.  This is by far and away the best forum I have ever been on for technical help when I am starting up with something that is new.....  So much appreciated.

Hope to hear from you.

Cheers Annie   :cheesy:

edited to fix quotes

that's OK shug.  I've got mudman's advice to try and nut out (I hope I hear back from him about my queries) and somone at torrentportal has recommended some Mac software that looks (at a glance) to be a good way of tackling this job.....  But that's for tomorrow.......  Thanks again

Since the file is a movie, just download VLC , open the cue file and play the thing. no need to burn it.

You can however convert the two to an ISO with toast to be burned to a CD.  If you don't want to pay 80 bucks for it, then just use (burnxfree), it works awesome ! 

It's the attachment.

Since the file is a movie, just download VLC , open the cue file and play the thing. no need to burn it.

You can however convert the two to an ISO with toast to be burned to a CD.  If you don't want to pay 80 bucks for it, then just use (burnxfree), it works awesome ! 

It's the attachment.

Thanks mudman, that's great.  I probably will want to burn it so will hunt up that software suggestion.....Thanks again for all your help.  :cheesy:

• 3 weeks later...

It's the attachment.

Hi mudman, it's a while since I've been doing things.  Downloaded your suggested software Burn X Free - looks really simple and nice Mac interface.  I have however had a problem straight up in that it is not recognising the optical drive in my Mac - have you come across this problem?  I've sent a query off to the company so I hope to get some help from there but just thought I'd ask......  Hope you doing OK. cheers Annie  :cheesy:

Hi mudman, it's a while since I've been doing things.  Downloaded your suggested software Burn X Free - looks really simple and nice Mac interface.  I have however had a problem straight up in that it is not recognising the optical drive in my Mac - have you come across this problem?  I've sent a query off to the company so I hope to get some help from there but just thought I'd ask......  Hope you doing OK. cheers Annie :cheesy:

Yea, it happens sometimes w/ third party software . Remember, most not all free software for macs are open source and written by someone that wants to give it to you, they will post each version for you to try, and like when you do exactly what you did, :)