M.S. running services ?

Roco

Well not sure this fits in PC security topic ,as it may not be a security risk in XP and I think it applies to Vista ?

as a basic securitycheck , I check task manager from time to time ,against a print out o running sevices from a clean install , I found "Google Updater" running in processes ,having noticed 2 extra processes running, (normaly 30 )

so I did a computer search and found it , LOL it had a uninstaller that failed to work , after a reboot it was still running ,

I did a web search on "Google updater "  , sure enogh it comes with google chrome and Earth , it checks for Google programs and reports back ,and stays even if google products are unistalled ,

it cant be removed easy as it becomes embeded into the system

the quick way out is to "run  services msc  " and disable it from there ,

I guess it is no biggie , but I don't like any form of Updater running without my say so ,

---------------------------------------------------------

The second  extra I found running was "Java quick starter,"

well I don't have much call for Java , and it can be stopped

in the Java settings , > advanced .> Miscellaneous > quick starter , but is enabled by default

-----------------------------------------------

Both Google and Java make no mention of these running services on installation , and only install on the later updated versions  ,

LOL rant over , and both services now dead in the water on my box ,

Yea, those are a pain for the uninformed. 

After installing something it's good to have a look around for any extra's that you don't actually need(like over zealous auto updaters). And always make sure to read the installer screens, even though some programs don't notify of everything that gets installed.

And when uninstalling there are those extra's that hang around waiting for the program to be installed again.

Some programs put something in to the add-ons in FireFox(A security flaw to many). And sometimes make a mess with instability or the urge to phone home.  But thats what a two way firewall is for. Ask my permission before access to the Internet.  :police:

Hi zalternate  and Tommie ,

Stange thing is , I use a router with built in firewall and a software  firewall ,

the old sygate ver 5.5  ,it's a bit clunky and does nothing in auto ,the user has to make the descions ,, I like it that way , 

but it gave me no warning of Google updater trying to phone home  , maybe it didn't try ?,

but what realy buged me was google has a built unistaller for the updater ,  and it dosn't work ,

well Google seems to be getting to big for it's boots these days , ref. my post on street view ,

and I found googles browser ( Chrome ) pathetic , LOL ,I must be hard to please ,I never took to firefox either , 

BTW Tommie , I am running AVG 8 ( the free version )  with no problems , apart for getting reminders

to update to AVG 8.5, it seems to be the paid for version  ? but not sure on that

Hi zalternate  and Tommie ,

Stange thing is , I use a router with built in firewall and a software  firewall ,

the old sygate ver 5.5  ,it's a bit clunky and does nothing in auto ,the user has to make the descions ,, I like it that way , 

but it gave me no warning of Google updater trying to phone home  , maybe it didn't try ?,

but what realy buged me was google has a built unistaller for the updater ,  and it dosn't work ,

well Google seems to be getting to big for it's boots these days , ref. my post on street view ,

and I found googles browser ( Chrome ) pathetic , LOL ,I must be hard to please ,I never took to firefox either , 

BTW Tommie , I am running AVG 8 ( the free version )  with no problems , apart for getting reminders

to update to AVG 8.5, it seems to be the paid for version  ? but not sure on that

I tried Chrome for a few days when it was first released.  I Didn't really care for the auto updater in the first place. But when I uninstalled it(if I remember all correctly), The Google updater stayed installed and continued to run. And I'm pretty sure that my Firewall told me about it still being there working. As some programs, Since they keep turning on 'Auto Update' when I update them(Java and QuickTime),  I have them set to 'Alert Me' when they want to get on the Internet to update.

I think I just deleted the Google updater folder to ditch it(I'm on a XP 'reinstall' since I had it, so I can't go searching for any remnants).

And isn't Sygate about 4 or 5 years years past the last time it was updated? Damn Symantec buying them out and killing the product.  :knuppel2:  It was a nice Firewall.

And that AVG product version update warnings are now so designed to get people to pay instead of looking for the free version of the same release.

http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Virus/3000-2239_4-10385707.html?tag=mncol

86.63 MB download.. Can you say BLOAT? I knew you could. In the region of Symatecs bloated product lines now.

indeed the old Sygate firewall is 5-6 years old,but the way I see it what needs updating in a frewall ? it's either a firewall or it ain't , and it sure is light running on my box ,

well AVG is going the same way as all good freebies , claims to have 80 million customers

now , so I guess 80 million X $29 USD has some apeal to Grisoft ,

the way I see it no Antivirus is 100 % proof  , so I don't concider them front line defence ,

I keep a  Xp pro ASR made from a clean install , and used twice a year ,

along with checking running prosesses  in task manager, along with Hijackthis.De ,

and Microsofts Procexplorer ,

and the usual AVG , Superantispyware , etc , and I use the Mouse keyboard for inputed

credit info ,

Well it works for me , never Knowingly had  a virus or trojan in 9 years,