not sure on what motherboard to buy for new DIY project.

yibbleyab

ok so im looking to build (or have someone build :grin2:) a new computer that should do me for what my needs are.  after checking on a few sites i've decided on these components:

-- 2.6GHz Athlon 64 LE-1640 2.60GHz Processor AMD Athlon 64 Single-core Socket AM2, 1MB, CPU - Processor

-- 500GB Western Digital Caviar SE16 Hard Drive, Serial ATA, 7200 rpm

--Visiontek Radeon X1300 Graphics Card, 512MB DDR2 SDRAM, AGP 8x Video Card

-- 19" AOC 919SW-1 Widescreen LCD Monitor, 1440 x 900, 5ms, 800:1

but when i looked for a new motherboard, i saw that there are a few different types of Sockets (T, AM2, J) and i have NO idea what im supposed to be looking for, or if these components would contradict with board types.

ideally i would like to have the RAM that comes in single sticks and not the stuff that needs 2 sticks to work since it seems to be much more expensive (at least around here) and i want to keep using my current 768 for now.

any thoughts or suggestions would be more then awesome

I must ask, why not dual (or more) core processor? As far as the different types basically you want to match your processor to your board. Most other stuff can easily be swapped for a identical product that will work. You can look up your processor for sell OEM and it will say what socket you need. Im no expert on this but I have built a few pc's and had no trouble. I started with my case. Then my motherboard and processor. Then I went on to the ram/HDD/optical drive/software etc. Good luck man.  :grin2: :grin2:

also an agp card? i'd go with pci express. they are also cheap and very powerful

I didnt notice that but I agree. Of course its all taste I suppose. Nobodys gonna rag on ya for going the other way.  :haha: Get it, the other way. Its funny cause Mud is a transexual.  :2funny: