question on USB MODEM broadband connection

zherwell

hi to all.... nowadays there are many available type of connection to the internet we could choose either by cable, wireless connection, etc.... and their is now the so called usb broadband internet modem connection... i am wondering if i could share my connection to other computer using this usb modem (plug-in type internet connection)... anyone could enlighten me about this? how could i share my connection? ....FYI: broadband cable internet connection need a modem, router and a switch... ----> what are the hardware and software do i need to share my internet using usb modem? thanks in advance...

Unless I understand the question wrong. Might the poster be referring to a "USB Stick" Wireless Internet connection?  And I think you put a card in the main computer it is plugged in to, to share the connection? Unless there is a router that takes a USB stick modem.

Unless I understand the question wrong. Might the poster be referring to a "USB Stick" Wireless Internet connection?  And I think you put a card in the main computer it is plugged in to, to share the connection? Unless there is a router that takes a USB stick modem.

But now that you say this, it got me thinking maybe  he was asking to be able to share internet connection through the USB port on the modem, as well as the cat5 port. 

I know that many ISP's, will give a second IP to the same address, but I don't think with the same residential modem, maybe,

Who here knows about this ?

A USB router to allow the computer that is connected in to the Internet, to make a wireless access point for wireless computers to connect too and share the computers Internet connection...

Just a basic unit.

http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/synet-windy31-usb-wireless/4505-3319_7-32909973.html

Hopefully this is the answer to the posters question...  [geek-small]

A USB router to allow the computer that is connected in to the Internet, to make a wireless access point for wireless computers to connect too and share the computers Internet connection...

Just a basic unit.

http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/synet-windy31-usb-wireless/4505-3319_7-32909973.html

Hopefully this is the answer to the posters question...  [geek-small]

Right, but we need him to come back before guessing, were all jumping in there trying to help someone with a question that we aren't even sure of,  :haha: Who knows, maybe he was talking about baking chocolate chip cookies  :haha: Man I hope so, because I  could go for a couple ofem right about now, what about you people  ? 

hotchips.gif

Right, but we need him to come back before guessing, were all jumping in there trying to help someone with a question that we aren't even sure of,   :haha: Who knows, maybe he was talking about baking chocolate chip cookies  :haha: Man I hope so, because I  could go for a couple ofem right about now, what about you people  ? 

hotchips.gif

I've seen many a post where the answers are given and the original poster does not give another reply. But then I see some posters have posted the same question over two or three different forum sites.

Yes I am a Google addict. At least my knee has stopped hurting killing me, after fours hours worth of time.

Cookies would go good on top of the chili I just had.  :smiley:

I've seen many a post where the answers are given and the original poster does not give another reply. But then I see some posters have posted the same question over two or three different forum sites.

Yes I am a Google addict. At least my knee has stopped hurting killing me, after fours hours worth of time.

Cookies would go good on top of the chili I just had.  :smiley:

:haha: :haha: I hear that too, hopefully things got straightened out.

Funny you should be talking like this about google, my discussion with my 9 year old last night consisted of nothing but google , wiki, and the use of them. We have this  "thing" I'll ask a question, and he's to run of and google it, and give me a legitimate answer, he's getting very good at it. As you know , since you use google so much , as we do, then the use of key words ar emuch more effective then just typing questions. He's gotten rather fast as hell at it too .

hi to all.... nowadays there are many available type of connection to the internet we could choose either by cable, wireless connection, etc.... and their is now the so called usb broadband internet modem connection... i am wondering if i could share my connection to other computer using this usb modem (plug-in type internet connection)... anyone could enlighten me about this? how could i share my connection? ....FYI: broadband cable internet connection need a modem, router and a switch... ----> what are the hardware and software do i need to share my internet using usb modem? thanks in advance...

HI TO ALL.. THANK YOU FOR THE REPLYING TO MY QUERY... :angel:

this is the case... right now, my internet connection is through cable in which I have a telephone line and DSL internet connection in one package ranging from 1Mbps - 2 Mbps speed... and the internet connection I shared it to 4 computers using the router and switch..... if for example my internet provider may have problems and i dont have internet connection... so i am NOW planning to buy an USB stick modem (cellular companies in my location offers this type internet connection in which you only plug it on the usb port of a pc and presto you get an internet connection). so what am i going to do for me to share the internet connection using this USB stick modem (from the pc in which it is plug to be shared to other computer units?) what hardware and or software do i need and how to configure the internet settings? hope the above description is clear.. i am using a wired router... thanks again in advance folks... :?: by the way i google and found only one in relation to my query but the answer is not clear. so that is why i have had posted this question of mine in search of a particular answer that could enlighten me and from there i may assess and get the ideas to fit my needs...

Depends on the operating system you are using.  Both Vista and Xp have an "Internet Connection Wizard" built in to allow you to share the connection with other computers.  In it's simplest form I believe that is all that would be needed.  Disconnect the DSL from the router and run the wizard.  The other PC's should pick-up you PC as the access point for the internet.  Theough I have never tried this, I believe this is how it is supposed to work in theory.

Now the other problem is the internet package.  Most of the ones I have seen using these USB cards only all 5 gigs of download per month.  After that your speeds will degrade and you'll pay out the wazoo for overages.  Especially with multiple computers.  Check the fine print.  A few of them say unlimited but then when you look at the fine print you find that you are limited to 5 gigs a month.

Hope this helps.