Wont load windows normally

JH2688

I got my new MB today and i put everything back together. The MB seems to be working fine, i can get to the bios screen and load windows xp sp2 in safe mode, but it wont load it normally.

whats my problem now?

For some reason your config has changed startup value. Type  start, run, cmd, then  "msconfig " , and change setting back to defaults. Restart.

For some reason your config has changed startup value. Type  start, run, cmd, then  "msconfig " , and change setting back to defaults. Restart.

i tried that in safe mode. and it still does not work. i am a little confused on the "type" part of it. i "clicked" on start, run, load normal start up.

i tried that in safe mode. and it still does not work. i am a little confused on the "type" part of it. i "clicked" on start, run, load normal start up.

Im trying to find how to get into msconfig in safe mode,  maybe php will see this, he'll prolly know ........

Can you not just get to a command prompt ?

well, on the screen that lets me go into safe mode. there was an option  that said "load from last known configuration" so i clicked on that. It seems to be working, however i need to reactivate windows. the problem with that is i'm not getting an internet connection to allow me to do that.

ok then maybe the network is disabled in msconfig, you should now go into msconfig, and set everything to normal boot, have you done that yet ?

everything is set for normal start up. everything is checkmarked aswell.

Chances are the proper network card drivers are not properly loaded.  Go into control panel, System, Device Manager.  Look for exclamation points.  These are the hardware that need the correct driver loaded.  If you did not get a CD with the motherboard go to the manufacture's website and download the most current drivers for the board.  This can include video, PCI-bridge, network, or even sound.  If it is an add-on wireless card you may need to reinput the settings for the network.

i've been trying to use the cd to update everything, but i cant get the cd drive to work in safe mode.

in the device manager there  one with a question mark, it looks like this:

? other devices

? Ethernet controller

Yep, network driver not loaded.  You mentioned that you could get windows to boot normally?  If so does the CD/DVD work from there?  From there you should then be able to go back into device manager, double click, then update driver.  Either choose custom? or let windows find the driver on it's own.  It is possible it may not check the CD, though it should.  Could also try a USB thumb drive.  Using another PC copy the files to the thumb drive then copy to the HDD.

I updated the driver and the ?other devices is not there anymore. but i still cannot get any connection.

When i boot windows normally i have to reactivate windows, but i cannot do that because i have no internet connection. So the farthest i can go is to the log in screen.

Replacement of the MB and using a preinstalled XP on a HDD.  Windows detected a major part replacement which is why it want's to be reactivated.  For activation the only other solution is to call Microsoft and activate by phone.  If this is a valid install of windows, not pirated, you should not have a problem getting a new activation code.  Just tell them you had to replace a failed motherboard.  As for the connection, if Device Manager no longer show exclamation marks for the drivers should be installed properly.  Does not always mean they are.  I'm not sure if an invalid/non-activated windows will disable networking or not.  I know with Office a pirated copy may not allow printing if disabled by a Microsoft Update or gets red flagged by them.  Happened to a friend.

It's best practice to do a clean install when replacing the motherboard.  It can be done without but as above there is the driver problem and getting reactivated.  Of course even by doing a fresh install of windows activation is still required in some case's.  Of course now there is a dual boot with Linux.  Does the network work with Linux?

A non-activated copy of windows should not affect the network connection. Because the connection does not work with linux either.

Be careful what you say , this is a public forum, and this site does not condone the use of illegal software. Nor do we discuss anything to do with trying to activate any software obtained in this fashion. (just a disclaimer ) none the less.

I was under the assumption you should always reformat after replacing the MB! :shocked:

True that.

edit

At risk of a warning I'll just say there are ways around that.  As for not working in Linux either, I would say it may be disable in the bios.  Of course that would not expain why windows did pick-up the card to begin with.  It is possible that the card is bad even though it was found.  If you have another network card handy that fits the board try that.  It would not hurt to try.

You know, what you could do for now , until you egt hold of a good copy of windows, is go ahead and install one of the totally free versions of Linux, I think you'll find that you can learn a whole heck of  a lot, maybe not what you e=wnt to do, but it will get your system up , no ?

here, check out this link , it's the Wiki of zillions of Linux distro's, there has to be something in there that appeals to you. Maybe you can goto a freinds to D/L, or even goto the library, pretty sure they have disks there.

i already have linux installed. Its a good OS, i just wish all the .exe files would work easily.

I did a system restore back to about a month ago, and still the same problem.

When i go to "network connections" there is nothing there. there should be something there.