dual booting linux and xp

starship_troopers

ok so i have xp pro sp3 on a SATA 3gb/s drive. but if i wanted to put in a separate harddrive which was ATA100 (ribbon cable connection) to load mandriva linux into and be able to dual boot, what jumper pin setting would i have to set the ATA 100 drive to. The ATA drive will also be hooked up to a LiteOn DVD burner drive. so should i set the jumper pin on the DVD drive to slave and the Harddrive to CS or should i have both set to CS or one to Master, one to Slave?

What jumper pin settings are needed to make sure my SATA drive with XP pro on it is able to read and dual boot with the ATA 100 drive and be able to dual boot.

First thing to do is to install each operating sytem on each separate disk.

Put one drive in the computer and install XP on it. Take it out.

install the second drive and install Linux on it. Take it out.

On the drive that has XP, set that drive as master, and set the Linux one as slave .

Install both drives in the computer. Start the computer and it will boot into XP. Goto windows explorer, tools -> folder options and click the view tab.

Select "show hidden files and folders" , hit Apply, then ok.

Expand My Computer and select the "C" drive. Locate the "boot.ini" file, right click it and select "Properties".

Mkae sure the "read only" button is UN CHECKED, click apply,then ok. If it's already unchecked, click cancel.

Double click on the boot.ini file it should open in notepad.

Under the "Operating Systems" heading, under the XP entry on a new line add this entry: multi(0)disk(1)rdsk(0)partition(1)Linux="Mandrive" /fastdetect .

Save and reboot. Both XP & Mandriva should be listed in the choices menu. Select Mandriva  (hopefully) lol Iv'e never dome it w/ a sata and a IDE though.

And seems like there was something else in the entry where I put " linux " , because it has to see it, and I do't think it see's  " Linux"

You know what though, you might as well just use  " wingrub " , it will work, but stil, not sure about the sata thing.

If this doesnt work i guess would it be easier to partition my harddrive (120gb 111gb readable after installing XP) into two parts using Gparted or some program like that then install mandrive on the blank partition and install the boot loader upon linux installation?  of course only doing this if the above doesnt work

If this doesnt work i guess would it be easier to partition my harddrive (120gb 111gb readable after installing XP) into two parts using Gparted or some program like that then install mandrive on the blank partition and install the boot loader upon linux installation? of course only doing this if the above doesnt work

It will work, just learn it. All the things you have accomplished this far, this should be something fun, and challenging for you. This type of thing is the same for me.