Need Help

BananaBoy

I called Smart BRO's Customer Service because my connection is a bit unstable, so they send in their Contractors to see what the problem is. After a couple of things they did in the Canopy Page they decided to go to the roof and see if the problem is there, so they found out it was just some branches that blocks the Line-of-Sight when it gets a bit windy, so they cut it and the Connection is stable again.

Now my problem came afterward when I tried downloading. Normally, for the past 3 years my DL Speed was around 40KB-60KB (60 comes only at rare occasions so let's say it's mostly 50KB). But right after the Contractors did their thing on the Canopy page my Connection Speed became a horrible 140kbps to 220kbps, both in UL and DL.

So I called again and they sent in another group of Contractors. Then when the Contractor is messing with the Canopy Page again I saw something called "Sustained Data Rate" which is set to 512kbps and UL and DL Rate is both set to 256kbps. Now I;m no Techie Guy but I think it means I'm capped? The contractor tries to avoid my Question about why is it 512kbps and just said that the problem is with the Base Station and that they can't help me anymore, so I asked what should I say to the Customer Service Personnel again when I call, He just said ask what the problem is (Even though I know the CS will only send a couple of the Contractors back again to repeat the endless loop of pointing fingers).

Now I surfed around the Net and found out in this place and some others that the Sustained Data should be around 1000kbps (500 for both UL and DL). My question is, what happened to my Speed? Is it on my part, the Antenna's fault, the base station's fault or are they capping my Bandwidth?

I also forgot to mention my brother also got his own Smart BRO Connection (separate) and it's speed is still the same (40KB to 60KB). I also forgot to mention that I;ve asked that Contractor to open my Brother's Canopy page and I saw it's Sustained Data was indeed 1000.

Is your brother using the same base station ? Are yo paying the same thing as he is ? Have you asked customer service about this ?

The bandwidth allocated within the modem has everything to do with the speeds you will get. Think of it as someone putting a block of wood under the accelerator pedal of car.

Yes, we both are on the same plan (999). However the speed of my Connection suddenly dropped after that event. I already called Customer Support about it right after their Contractor went here and did his thing with the Canopy page. Their only reply was "Monitor your connection for 24 hours" and that "We are trying to fix your connection".

And we're both connected to the same Base Station as well. The Antennas are both the same as well. They are next to each other above the roof and of the same height as well. The problem only happened right at the time I explained in the first post. :(

These are my results...

-----------------------------------------------

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 197 Kbps about 0.2 Mbps (tested with 3064 kB)

Download Speed is:: 24 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Main)

Test Time:: 2009/04/24 - 9:12pm

Bottom Line:: 3X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 42.67 sec

Tested from a 3064 kB file and took 127.32 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 48.28 % of your hosts average (92.116)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-CHIU3QOBJ

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.9) Gecko/2009040821 Firefox/3.0.9 [!]

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Upload Connection is:: 218 Kbps about 0.2 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 27 kB/s

Test Time:: 2009/04/24 - 9:17pm

Bottom Line:: 4X faster than 56K 1MB Upload in 37.93 sec

Tested from a 2992 kB file and took 112.366 seconds to complete

Upload Diagnosis:: 90% + Okay : running at 95.61 % of your hosts average (92.116)

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-ACMKXO1J5

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.9) Gecko/2009040821 Firefox/3.0.9 [!]

And these are my brother's results.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 379 Kbps about 0.4 Mbps (tested with 3064 kB)

Download Speed is:: 46 kB/s

Test Time:: 2009/04/24 - 8:51pm

Bottom Line:: 7X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 22.26 sec

Tested from a 3064 kB file and took 66.217 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: 90% + Okay : running at 90.02 % of your hosts average (92.116)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-K5R8TJGCD

Your connection is: 219 Kbps or 0.2 Mbps

You uploaded at: 27 kB/s

You are running: 4 times faster than 56K and can upload 1 megabyte in 37.93 second(s)

Member Ident: CompID:111465837319

Test Time:: 2009/04/24 - 9:14pm

Test Browser and OS info: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.9) Gecko/2009040821 Firefox/3.0.9

Test ID: 02S6LVZBD (if this is a screenshot go to testmy.net to see if this is fake)

Diagnosis ^info^: 90% + Okay : running at 96.05 % of your hosts average (92.116)

This was tested from a 2992 kB file and took 111.88 seconds to complete

I tried switching the connections and it improved (mine got faster and his got slower) so I guess the problem ain't on my part....

ok this is a great opportunity to utilize the testmy.net bandwidth monitor tool, or Automatic test. Just set the test up the way you want it, and reduce that window. Open up a new window to do your normal browsing.

This way, since they specifically requested that you monitor your bandwidth, you have a documented receipt of bandwidth testing,  there gonna love it :)  Start as soon as possible.

I see. Thanks for the help, I'll try it out right now. 24 hour should be good right?

Edit - OOps, I meant every hour, didn't read that one right. XD

Wherever you think, but do it for as long as you need, a week, a month , the more , the better.  Thats recorded proof to give to them.

I just called them again today. Their final say about my problem is this.

"The speed you're getting is enough".

So I was thinking what should I do now, I think they won't entertain this problem anymore even if I do this tests. :(

Well you know, sometimes things just  "change" sometimes for the better, then sometimes for the worse.  Either way, wait long enough, and it will change again, maybe this time , for the better. Some things are just out of our control.

Keep the thread updated though, you are doing the autotest , right ? Because that one person might as well just be telling you that. To discourage you, set the test, and have it on record ! then wait a while and you will get someone else, maybe more inclined to do something for you, instead of just repeating standard protocol.

I got it set to 1 Hour but it's not in a new window (It's on one of my FF Tabs). XD

Thanks for everything mudmanc4. I'll keep the Thread updated on what happens. :)

Yea, thats what I do. Just keep looking for answers, and educate yourself on just how all this works, I think you'll be surprised as to what you can achieve when equipped with the right information in order to make changes ti your system based on  how , and why it works like it does.  :)