Elevate to admin in CMD Vista

mudmanc4

Ok vista geeks, I made an elementary mistake by losing the CMOS password on a business machine of my own, can't believe it, because I have used the same damn PW for that machine for years, It may have been compromised, I haven't gotten that far yet.

I was able to rest the password on the MB by resetting the BIOs to factory defaults.

Of course, when doing this, there is always other complications, this time, I believe, the MBR has been corrupted, or simply lost. Ok, no problem, just run "sfc /scannow" , but in vista, you need to elevate to admin to accomplish this , so the question is, I'm in a shell started from the Vista Ultimate disk, how do I get admin privileges here ?

Is this the page your looking for?

No see, the MBR was corrupted during the CMOS reset, so the system posts, but wont boot, because the system doesn't see the Boot records, so I have to boot the machine from the installation disk, and run everything from there. See what I mean now ? You can run a shell, and perform normal functions, mostly, as if you were running a CMD. But I need to know how to gain admin privileges this way in order to straighten this out.

• 2 months later...

gretings!

mudmanc4, maybe your worries are over now.

but just the same, you can visit this site:

http://rgaucher.info/planet/Hackosis/2008/07/10/Lost_Windows_Password__Regain_Access_with_Linux

hope this will help others too...

Actually, I threw the windows machine in the corner for the kiddies to play with, but thanks anyhow  :grin: