laptop USB mouse not operating

Does anyone know what would cause a USB mouse to stop working on a laptop?

I have tested the mouse on my PC, and it seems to work fine.

I have tested other USB devices on the laptop, and they work except for another USB mouse.

I ended up reformatting the laptop because it was over due anyway, and the mouse worked for a few hours and then stopped again.

something to keep in mind is that the touch pad that is part of the laptop stopped working a few years back.  I'm guessing some piece of hard ware is dying just like the touch pad did, but I don't know what it could be and how to find out.

Any ideas?

Best I can advise to make sure all software is updated. If you have XP get sp3 or latest Service Packs that apply to your OS. After that I if your usb mouse is wireless like mine ....new batery and locate transmitter closer to mouse. If all still fails buy a new mouse.. Good luck!

Does anyone know what would cause a USB mouse to stop working on a laptop?

I have tested the mouse on my PC, and it seems to work fine.

I have tested other USB devices on the laptop, and they work except for another USB mouse.

I ended up reformatting the laptop because it was over due anyway, and the mouse worked for a few hours and then stopped again.

something to keep in mind is that the touch pad that is part of the laptop stopped working a few years back.  I'm guessing some piece of hard ware is dying just like the touch pad did, but I don't know what it could be and how to find out.

Any ideas?

There could be a memory conflict, remove the device from the machine, uninstall all software, and drivers pertaining to the device, restart the machine.

Before plugging in the device, search for the latest driver, (online, don't allow the system to search EVER !)  and place it in my documents where you know what, and where to locate it at a glance.

Then plug the device in, Not the same usb port either, use a different one,  install the new driver  manually, or even of its the same one, either way. Try that.

thanks guys!  i had another mouse laying around, but it didn't work because its software was not installed. . . i've gotten used to windows downloading the software automatically when it plugs in.

anyway, i think the other mouse was slowly dying, its so many years old and got a bused alot.