problem with ps3 on dvi monitor

starship_troopers

ok so my buddy has a ps3 and i have a HDCP compliant monitor. the Acer AL2216W. how do i hook up the ps3 to my monitor...

also, i have 5.1 surround for my computer, any way to hook this up to the ps3? i have an adapter somewhere that allows the speakers to be plugged into a tv..but how do i do it on ps3?

we are gonna have a tournament, and i only have a small crt tv that is bad quality cause its about to die. so how do i get all this working on the dvi monitor? i'm doing research but all my sources so far have conflicted

edit/ forgot to add...the speakers i have are logitech x530

after more research, i just need a hdmi to dvi adapter for the monitor to display? that seems simple enough. and as far as i can tell i can get 720p with this monitor? (acer al2216w)

and so how do i get the logitech x530 5.1 speakers to work with this? i have no audio out option on my monitor, and im not quite sure where my adapter is, but if i cant find it i could probably borrow one from someone. so im looking for a step by step on this stuff. its been forever since i've done anything like this, last thing i did was hook up a ps2, xbox360, and dvd recorder up to one tv....im rusty on this kinda stuff.

any ideas?

Wish I could help, but TV's aren't something I deal with , let alone watch that much of, in fact to tell you what a waste this post was, I'm headed to the sack where my 13" ( yes it's color lol ) set is on the other side of the room, I DVR breaking bad, then watch it when I get the chance, now's my chance, good luck w/ that buddy :)

well...night...lol

but im using my monitor not a tv.

im using a 22 inch widescreen acer monitor model al2216w.  i need to know which/if i need it, hdmi to dvi connecter to use.

and how to get the logitech x530 5.1 speakers to get sound, at this point i dont care if its true 5.1..just 2 channel sound will be fine at this point. i just need to figure out how to get the speakers to hook up to the monitor :P 

i can find out online how to get the monitor hooked up but then when i involve my model of speakers all the info gets conflicted so i dont know what to get to make it to work

ok got the monitor part figured out...now for SOUND. lol

ok for the sound with my logitech (X530) speakers i found my adapter that changes the 5.1 to regular red and white RCA(??) cables. now...i just need to figure out how to hook up the speakers so i get sound from the ps3.... :shrug:

ok...done more research..sorry this is me almost spamming, but i figure if someone knows about this i may as well update with stuff i've found out.

ok...well...as i've done more research it has concluded (i think) to a point that i need a AV analog to digital audio converter....can anyone confirm this? and so i think with the adapter that came with my speakers i can put the green black and orange speaker plugs into one side of the adapter and then get the red and white audio cables and plug them into the other side of this adapter...then plug the red and white cables into a converter it should let me have optical audio right?

this is what i think i need at this point  http://site.ambery.com/webgraph/AU-AD-InOut.jpg

then plug an optical audio cable into this and the ps3...i should get some sound at least, correct?

where's pitbull when i have a ps3 question? LOL

sorry guys for spamming. if a mod could edit these together or something that may help. but sorry for the spamming.

ok so on the back of the ps3 is a AV multi out....so could i use that and just use the red and white cables and put them into a converter that changes it to 3.5mm headphone jack and plug that into my headphone jack on my speakers?  at the same time i will be using the hdmi out on the ps3 and changing the hdmi to dvi to use my monitor as a display. this should work right? isnt it true that i can choose to have video hdmi to dvi and choose the audio to still be the AV multi out which will be converted and plugged into a headphone jack? hell i dont know, i just want sound.

im here spamming again...any way i can clean this thread up?

anyway....after all this time noticing that i said i had a game adapter and needed a new conversion process for the audio...the answer is so simple it went a full week without me noticing...im such an idiot  :uglystupid2:  :2funny::buck2:

all i gotta do is use everything i have....the speakers, the av cord on the ps3 (although the ps3 isnt mine...im claiming it hahahaha) and the game adapter....holy freakin crap it works in theory...now to test it....ok so waht i am going to do is use an hdmi to dvi cable for 720p resolution on my hdcp compliant monitor....easy enough...then set the audio to go out through av components which the game adapter will route to my speakers...giving at least 2 channel audio...even though im praying for surround sound....audio is audio....

this in theory should work just fine....  :lol:

yeah it was due to countless cherry pepsi's and nights and days of research, along with some trips to walmart. omg....all in all it should end up just fine...if not im just going to beat my head against a wall  :haha:

the next thing im getting is a bluetooth headset for it...okk well im not...but im going to start using one...easy enough to configure all the other stuff...inital setup with a monitor was just crazy to think about...but trying over and over again works eventually

sorry guys for spamming. if a mod could edit these together or something that may help. but sorry for the spamming.

ok so on the back of the ps3 is a AV multi out....so could i use that and just use the red and white cables and put them into a converter that changes it to 3.5mm headphone jack and plug that into my headphone jack on my speakers?  at the same time i will be using the hdmi out on the ps3 and changing the hdmi to dvi to use my monitor as a display. this should work right? isnt it true that i can choose to have video hdmi to dvi and choose the audio to still be the AV multi out which will be converted and plugged into a headphone jack? hell i dont know, i just want sound.

thats what i do with my PS3. it works just fine. although i use a 13 inch TV to convert the RCA cable to 3.5mm headphone jack. so i plug in my 2.1 system into.

man i just cleaned my whole room where the ps3 is going to be at....idk why but at least im organized now...

Like you said, least it's cleaned up now lol, feels good doesn't it.

My desk gets so bad in just a days time, it's layered, I'm serious man, right now there's a MB I stuck a proc in today balanced on top a box from a server board, thats sitting on legal papers, next to a coffee cup, mixed in a baseball cap, and a jeep magazine and OS disks , open container od blank DVD's  with a bag of sunflower seeds laying across wires I have connected to an old iBook I was using to transfer data from here to there, ..should I go on ? I mean shit, this is a daily thing, I get it right every day or so, the BAM ! shitz all over the place   :haha: :haha:  The wife just left outta here, she sat on my lap and said  " lookie the fire hazzard again "  :haha: :haha: :haha:

lol nice. yeah i had layers of cords and receipts...then manuals to games...cds such as nero suite, power dvd, call of duty world at war...and im like...ok....so the only thing i can say is keep computer areas clean, because out of all of this i lost my nero key...it was free anyway, but hey...now i gotta google for a key next time i format and want to reinstall nero...  :haha:

edit/ oh yeah...i also found my wristwatch i thought i lost, and a pack of hersheys miniature goodbars and krackel candy bars....i dont like them so i dont even know how they got here  :evil6:

yeah it was due to countless cherry pepsi's and nights and days of research, along with some trips to walmart. omg....all in all it should end up just fine...if not im just going to beat my head against a wall  :haha:

the next thing im getting is a bluetooth headset for it...okk well im not...but im going to start using one...easy enough to configure all the other stuff...inital setup with a monitor was just crazy to think about...but trying over and over again works eventually

U see drinking pepsi can help u man it's the solution to all your problems. Also u don't need to use a Bluetooth headset cause I know that you can use wired ones but I don't know if all of them are compatible. Also I you wanna add me my PSN ID is bolillo

U see drinking pepsi can help u man it's the solution to all your problems. Also u don't need to use a Bluetooth headset cause I know that you can use wired ones but I don't know if all of them are compatible. Also I you wanna add me my PSN ID is bolillo

definately, cherry pepsi is my favorite soda.

yeah, at my walmart though, (which is the only store around here that sells anything electronic basically) there are no usb microphones in the store, just the 3.5mm pink jacks. i'll be on the look out for a usb one though, i bet they have better reception and clarity.

cool, when i make a psn i'll try to make it crimsonshadow    if that doesnt work it'll be digyourgrave ...if that doesnt work im going my original name which is tcepsusredruma or tcepsuseht.  i'll post back when i have a name officially though.

also itll all be hooked up on the 22nd or 23rd ....along with the new ufc game. and maybe gta 4 ...what games do you play online and i'll pick them up

im definately getting fight night round 4 when its out.