Cd-Rom

so...when did it stop working and did you install anything or remove any programs or change anything before this started happening?

have you tried rolling back your drivers?

maybe uninstall the driver completely then reboot and let windows find and install the driver manually, then if it doesnt work try updating it again.

hell if it still doesnt read at all try a new cable.  :wink2:

mine recently did this (i have a LiteOn brand) and for some reason it never worked with driver fixes but when i put in a new IDE ribbon cable its working fine...not sure what happened.

Did you try removing it from device manager?  I may have just gone bad.  This happend to me before.  I just had to replace the darn thing.

Yea, plus maybe just totally uninstall it, and all of it's components, then re install it, if something broke in the software side, this may work.

as the ERROR CODE is 39

i am presuming that the CD drive is not shown in "my computer"

If this is the Case then there is a REG fix for this as it is more often a software issue that the driver is conflicking with

I work for a Large retail chain in the UK, going round peoples house and fixing there PC and TVs

(UK PLEASE DONT GIVE ME GRIEF AS YOU KNOW WHO IT IS, some of us do Know our Job)

This is from our Internal KB

CDROM not displayed in My Computer - Device Manager shows Error Code 39

Registry fix

Situation

CD-ROM won't display in my computer, but is listed in device manager with an exclamation mark & error code 31, 32, 19 or 39. Removing the device & rebooting failed to fix the problem.

Another possible error message -

Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)

Cause

Possibly CD writing software causes the problem.

Resolution

A registry edit is required.

Go to Start - Run and type REGEDIT

Browse to HKLMsystemcurrentcontrolsetcontrolclass{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Locate the UpperFilters value & delete it.

Locate the LowerFilters entry & delete it.

(Only one of these two filters values may exist) 

Restart computer

If after this fix any program fails to function correctly (such as CD-WRITING software) that program may need reinstalling.

PLEASE DO NOT EDIT REGISTRY IF YOU ARE UNSURE OF YOURSELF

I will not be held responsible if you mess it up