yo all!

Relient F

HI all! Well, a small introduction. My name is Derek Roberts, I am reporting from bellsouth (atnt?) and am blind, so have no idea what the pic I was required to choose when registering looks like... :lol: I am getting what I think are horrible speeds but will save that for another bored. I consider myself to be an advanced computer user but am open to learning new things. I am learning a programming language which I've heard is based off of c for a gaming platform called MOO (mud, object oriented.)

Some very bad  example code is:

;set_connection_option(player,"binary",1);stuff=500;while(stuff>=1);suspend(0);player:tell("~07");endwhile;set_connection_option(player,"binary",0);

For those not in the know, character 7 is the bell character. When programs encounter it, they usually either play your computer's default sound or make your pc speaker beep, which is where the character got it's name.

Well, that's about all the non incriminating stuff I can think to post here. :smile2: Thanks!

Hello, and welcome to the forum. It's amazing that you can post here: due to your blindness. I am sincerely very curious as to how you can do that. Would you mind filling me in? I am guessing you have a braille keyboard, but how do you read the "screen"?

Again, welcome: good to have you.

Hi,

I just tried to reply and when I posted it, it kicked me off or something. I had been logged in before and when I posted it gave me the "welcome, guest" thing and said I couldn't post. Understandable for guests, but I had been logged in and only been "idle" for 5 minutes or so. :?::angry:

Anyway, I use a screen reader called JAWS. Basically, it taps the display drivers and reports what it can read either with software or hardware speech or, if you have one, a braille display. It is very overpriced though, $1000 to get authorization to use it, and every couple years or so you have to pay the company $300 to keep updated. Because of that and various windows frustrations, I am looking into Linux and it's free screen readers like Orca (gnome-orca in the repositories), speakup and yasr. I am currently running a modified version of ubuntu with some of this builtin and configured, but I think it may be against tmn's TOS to post a link? :undecided:

Thanks for the welcome and hope I was able to answer some of your questions :smile2:

PS: As far as the emoticons go, I am both going off the links and some bbCode I know, but I'm not very good at it.

Hello Relient F , glad you joined us, I'm sure you will have not pnly fun here at testmy.net, but being an advanced computer user, you'll end up being an asset as well.

As far as the TOS here at testmy.net, since Linux is an open source operating system, there are no copy write issues, so please fill us in, post what you are using, were all here for pretty much the same reason, we not only enjoy learning new things about computing, but making sure were getting the most speed from our connection.

Please, if you have any questions about anything, at all, feel free to post , in whatever board.

I'm interested in the equipment your using as well, sounds fantastic ! And expensive like you say.  Of course were always going to have Microsoft trying to get there hands in on every little thing they can, thats what there all about, for the most art.

At any rate, hope to see you around :)  ,  Mudmanc4

I forgot to mention, you must set the time to keep you logged in when you enter your name, and password, there is a selection to keep you logged in all the time, it will place a cookie in your browser.

Hi,

Ah cool! In that case, here is a link to Vinux the distrobution I use. Also the link for jaws... Not sure of an exact link, but the companies site is here. Also a cool open source reader I forgot about in my post is NVDA (not to be confused with nvidia or however you spell it) :smile2:. with that one, blind people  can actually use a mouse. While you still can't see where everything is so you can move to it, it's still pretty cool to kinda be abel to visualize where things are.

Yep. Microsoft sees other companies success and tries to get a piece of it, like with the Zune... Ugh. :lol:

Oh stupid me, should've read the whole form! haha.

Nice signature, btw.

Thanks.

Hey, thanks for the answer to my question. That is really neat. I'm glad to see that there are resources out there for people who can't see. (no pun intended) With all your coding knowledge, I am sure that you will be a great assett and helpful to many of our users.

Take care, and enjoy the site!

• 2 weeks later...