Two Computers, Same Network, Different D/L Speeds

shniper

I have a 15MB ADSL connection, and with my laptop connected wirelessly, I get 13.5 steady on [this.site.has.been.blocked.for.spamming].

Well, I just finished installing a new motherboard, wireless card, and RAM into my desktop and I can only pull around 2MB on [this.site.has.been.blocked.for.spamming]

I've upgraded the drivers for my wireless card and wireless LAN adapter as per my ISP's advice, and I don't know what else to do!!

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction, since I also threw in a couple new TB HDDs into this thing and I have some downloadin' to do!

Sorry if I should've posted this in the Help section. It seemed like a toss up between the two.

Thx!

I should also add that I get the same ping with both systems. Around 19ms...

Thanks alot for the help!

I've never even heard of, or seen this half duplex mode in the BIOS.

I will definitely check this out tomorrow and let you know how I make out.

Sure, I'm curious myself, thats a serious drop, it has to be something simple like that. I know you don't have a cable mismatch, right ? There's two different ways to wire cat5, sometimes from different companies they get wired differently. It doesn't always make a difference, but there are times when it does. I'm  thinking "A" is the new standard.

Ok.

So I'm pretty sure I've identified the problem. It's my wireless card. I started playing with the antenna and it's very sensitive. My download speeds vary GREATLY depending on which way my antenna is turned. I can get it down to as low as 1.5 mbps and I've managed to get it up to around 11 now, so until I get myself a better one, I'm fine with 11.

I had no idea that the antenna had that much effect on speeds...

Thanks for your help mudman!

Ok.

So I'm pretty sure I've identified the problem. It's my wireless card. I started playing with the antenna and it's very sensitive. My download speeds vary GREATLY depending on which way my antenna is turned. I can get it down to as low as 1.5 mbps and I've managed to get it up to around 11 now, so until I get myself a better one, I'm fine with 11.

I had no idea that the antenna had that much effect on speeds...

Thanks for your help mudman!

Wow, either was I aware of that. I have settings on mine that can raise the transmit power, and have one antenna  transmit and the other receive, but aiming ? , interesting. I'll have to glance at your router.

No, No, No....

I have to play with the antenna on my Wireless adapter.

That is my router/modem though. It doesn't even have an antenna on it and works AWESOME.

Oh I see, have you messed with the adjustable antenna on the router ? Just curious. Sounds interesting.