So I got my first letter.......

ninjageek

So I get my first letter in the mail. My cable company was contaced by the dreded riaa bla bla bla. So I decide just to let this one slide. While the last Year or so I have been a super good boy I have in the past been not such a good boy.

What happend was I set up a wifi for my laptop. My lazy butt never set up the security. Its just a cheep belkin router. Someone leached and It bit me in the behind. Well long story short. I set up my security. Used google. Learned my lesson. I just wanted to post this to remind others. Secure your wireless router with passwords. Use google or ask around. Or you two may someday get your first letter from your cable company.

I did call the cable company was gonna disconect it, they DID NOT like that idea at all. Told them what happend. They said don't worry, Just dont let it happen again or I may get disconected. And while I can never swear to it, I think My ol Lady was messing with stuff She should not of and it gave her a good scare. So in the end my first letter was probally a good thing.

I live in such a small town, and while I will NEVER leach or use someone elses wireless, From my home alone I found 3 diffrent Unsecured WiFis.

And remember when dealing with the CopyRight Mafia, they aint got shiat on you that would hold up in an unbiased court. Too many people just pay the shakedown money and then fade away.  :321:  :flipa:

But since it's just a letter from a secret admirer looking to bang you up the pooper shooter.  :3some:  ..... Lesson be learned.  :angel4: Next time you will be a good citizen and go out and buy your DRM encoded music and enjoy it until the server gets shutdown and then you can go out and buy it all over again, just to support the 5% the Artist gets for every sale.   :evil2:  :evil2:  Oh and lets never forget about those Root Kits that somehow get on the music CD.  :knuppel2:

Thats reminds me of the late, great 'Screen Savers' show. There is another video somewhere of how to make the ignition switch.

At 2:30 seconds for the thermite bit.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4147847319296070400

This is a great way to stop people from breaking in to your house and trying to steal your computer.... No more computer and no more house.  :shock:  "What evidence, your honor? It was a burglar alarm. Designed to go off to destroy my 'secure' data if someone lifted tried to steal the computer."  :twisted: 

And remember when dealing with the CopyRight Mafia, they aint got shiat on you that would hold up in an unbiased court. Too many people just pay the shakedown money and then fade away.  :321:  :flipa:

But then again, in America you have to pay for your own defense. And the courts do not side with you by default, as your opponent has plenty of money to throw around.

But since it's just a letter from a secret admirer looking to bang you up the pooper shooter.  :3some:  ..... Lesson be learned.  :angel4: Next time you will be a good citizen and go out and buy your DRM encoded music and enjoy it until the server gets shutdown and then you can go out and buy it all over again, just to support the 5% the Artist gets for every sale.   :evil2:  :evil2:  Oh and lets never forget about those Root Kits that somehow get on the music CD.  :knuppel2:

5%? It's less than that.

I guess this is quite a fitting moment to say that running an unsecured wireless access point is even illegal in my country, because of the possibility that you aid criminals. It's a retarded reason, but as it is the law is against you.

This is a great way to stop people from breaking in to your house and trying to steal your computer.... No more computer and no more house.  Shocked  "What evidence, your honor? It was a burglar alarm. Designed to go off to destroy my 'secure' data if someone lifted tried to steal the computer."  Twisted Evil 

Amusing way to make you lose your data, and hardware. Don't think the insurance company will pay for that. Also, if the cops try to seize your stuff and that happens, you will be accused of destroying evidence, which as you can guess is against the law. Plenty of people went to jail simply because they destroying possible evidence, without any actual evidence left they did anything wrong.

Here in the staes "Homeland Security" considers a router a PC.  Somehow in the wording it is considered a federal offense to access a wireless router without the owners permission.  If it can be proven that you accessed a wireless network you can be prosecuted.  Though I cannot think of an instance where this has happened.  In Vermont or New Hampshire, I do not remember which it is but they have an ammendment to the law that if you do no secure your wireles anything that happens on it is your responsibility.

I also used to leave my wireless unsecured so that others could enjoy the internet.  I got tired of when I needed to download something I had no bandwidth available.  So I secured it. 

I did get a letter once for downloading some "Disney" movie, don't remember which one.  Called the cable company and explained that I think it was ione of the kids and as above they said don't let it happen again.  Cut my downloading down big time for several months.  Still download on occasion but not nearly as much.  What I download I usually wind up purchasing to have better quality.  I also download what I already own, especially movies since some are not easily backup because of copy protection.

Yea I think The riaa for the most part has just given up. They were loosing cases and paying out to much money. They also had all this bad press. And I think the final thought would be is ok you have all this money how you gonna divide it up? 

I do know a guy that a year ago got the court aperance letter from the Riaa. He showed, Told them to check his harddrive they would find nothing. They simply dismissed the case against him. Think they caught on to his hint of bite me I will just swap harddrives and the new harddrive has Linux on it. Now prove I did it.

The RIAA has probably toyed with the idea of uploading loggers with the file from their honey pots. Just to be able to get the computers name and Owners/users name as well.

Other than that would not exactly get them anywhere in an actual court case, as uploading that logger is illegal.

But thats what these civil lawsuits are for. Stupid users think it's easier to give away all their cash, than go to court, where a Judge needs 100% legally obtained, factual evidence. Or at least be informed on just how the RIAA got their evidence.

And an ISP cutting off your service on just an 'accusation' is illegal. Something to still be challenged in court if the time comes. But it's not like the courts matter if the government blocks access to them to protect yourself.  Shoot, here in BC the monopoly insurance company will declare you a Dangerous driver with a couple of tickets of a certain type or quantity  and without a court appearance to prove you are a dangerous driver. And it comes with a fine that you have to pay before you can renew your drivers license as well.

I think it was Italy where the red light camera intersections, had real short yellow lights to obtain more safety ticket revenues. Many law/government officials gone to court and possibly jail. And an actual police chief broke the case because too many tickets were being issued by the cameras in his zone.

Last I read France is right on the RIAA's bandwagon though. Their president and his celebrity wife that is. And all he knows is his weeny is wet, and his wife wants. So she gets.  :wink:

Wasn't there a news story about how politicians in France don't know what the Internet is?  Or at least don't know how it works.

And make sure you don't dispute the fact either.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/world/2009/0509/1224246190914.html