OSX Experience

mudmanc4

I think it is Microsoft's new search engine.  Have not seen it on my new Mac yet.  Not saying to get a Mac and be done with it.  Only had mine a week.  Still prefer Windows but learning this is fun. 

I betcha 100 TMN bucks, that since yo went the length to purchase a mac, and after teh learning curve, when you find out that you can do everything you can do on a pc, and actually, you'll see how much more organized your machine is, that you'll swear by it.

I know that there's a strange transition, there's no doubt. Deleting something is simple, installing is a pleasure, there's no registry to bloat out, and wonder what the hell all those damn keys stand for.

Hey , I'm not knockin windows, I love XP, and 2K even more so. But I can control my OSX machine so much more then I ever could windows. In so many other ways.  Networking? Man, what a breeze, but there were several funky " things" that LEopard did that stunk on ice, but there were taken care of in the next version "P' DOW " baby.

Now I'm waiting for snow leopard, actually I have it, just havent burned it yet.

I betcha 100 TMN bucks, that since yo went the length to purchase a mac, and after teh learning curve, when you find out that you can do everything you can do on a pc, and actually, you'll see how much more organized your machine is, that you'll swear by it.

I know that there's a strange transition, there's no doubt. Deleting something is simple, installing is a pleasure, there's no registry to bloat out, and wonder what the hell all those damn keys stand for.

Hey , I'm not knockin windows, I love XP, and 2K even more so. But I can control my OSX machine so much more then I ever could windows. In so many other ways.  Networking? Man, what a breeze, but there were several funky " things" that LEopard did that stunk on ice, but there were taken care of in the next version "P' DOW " baby.

Now I'm waiting for snow leopard, actually I have it, just havent burned it yet.

Just got Entourage to sync with my Google Calander.  Had to get iCal to syn with Google then set Entourage to sync with iCal.  I've never really hated Mac's just did not care for them since they are so expensive.  The whole system has frozen on me a couple times and I have had some software freeze on me.  Heck, it's a computer right?  I'm getting along with it alright.  I'm about to the point that normal everyday stuff I can do on the Mac with no problems.  I have at least two more hurdles to over come. 1) Get XP/Vista running in Parallels (no Reboot) for the propierity software for work and 2) Try and get my Pocket PC to sync with the Mac.  The pocket PC I get a work around by syncing at work instead though.  Other than that I'm not head over heels but it works well.

Just got Entourage to sync with my Google Calander.  Had to get iCal to syn with Google then set Entourage to sync with iCal.  I've never really hated Mac's just did not care for them since they are so expensive.  The whole system has frozen on me a couple times and I have had some software freeze on me.  Heck, it's a computer right?  I'm getting along with it alright.  I'm about to the point that normal everyday stuff I can do on the Mac with no problems.  I have at least two more hurdles to over come. 1) Get XP/Vista running in Parallels (no Reboot) for the propierity software for work and 2) Try and get my Pocket PC to sync with the Mac.  The pocket PC I get a work around by syncing at work instead though.  Other than that I'm not head over heels but it works well.

It's amazing that your having that much trouble, it really is. Ive had several apple machines, and still do, and I would dare to bet , you've already had more issues then Iv'e ever had , combined. I'm guessing there si some underlying issue here.

To sync the PPC to mac, you'll need missing sync , and don't use parallels, use, VMware , much better, faster, lighter, ect.

Find out what rEFIt  is all about. You'll enjoy the ease of use as it's a bootloader that will recognize any bootable device connected peripherally, (removable media ) or internal, at minimal configuration, ( like uhm, none lol ) you can also use it in conjunction with "bootcamp" if you like. So when people talk about double and triple boot systems, lets look more on the lines of as many partitions as you chose to make on the HDD. Of course remember if yo use bootcamp, then you'll have to partition a fat32 partition at 32GB in order for the windows/OSX share  (desktop to desktop ) to work. You'll be able to drag and drop from one OS ( via VMware fusion ) to another, which comes in very handy all day long.

As to the software freezing up, maybe once in a blue moon for me, but when this does happen, go up into the apple on the upper left hand corner, and look for "force quit" , all the running ".app" will appear there, just kill that specific .app, and you'll be good to go.

BTW~What are the .dmg's that your having issues with, just out of curiosity.

One software freeze I had admittedlly was my fault.  Looking at Foomatic for printing and accidently tried to install something for 10.2 .  Did not work too well.  The other times I do not remember what they were.  For the Pocket PC I came across SyncMate.  It worked very will for the contacts and calander.  Saw missing sync listed somewhere I'll have to give that try to see if it can sync files.  I'm trying to avoid bootcamp and I ahve seen Vmware mentioned in other areas.  Overall for the problems I have had the past 5 days have been a good experiance.  Not really disappointing at all.  As an example I really did not care for Firefox on the PC.  Tried using Safari but have one website that will not work with Safari.  Installed Firefox and it has been working great for me.  I see no differance as the interface goes but it has been extremely smooth in operation.

The boss got this for me.  Guess he got tired of me asking for one.  In my job I repair digital copiers.  They can be connect to the network and used as printers and scanners.  Mac's are showing up more and more so I decided to try and get them to buy me one.  It finnaly paid off.  So I'm determined to make it work no matter what problems come.  They have been few and minimal.  Admittedlly far less then windows.  I will be checking into the other links that you mentioned.  Thank you.

Don't mean to hijack this thread.  But I just got XP running in Parallels and it is just amazing.  I have seen XP run quickly before but this is just unreal.  I can seamlessly copy files from Mac to XP and the other way around.  Now that XP is running I can allow another tech to have my Vista laptop.  Part of the deal of the boss getting me the Mac.  Now to see if my work properiety software will fully work.  Thanks for the other links mudmanc4.  I definately be checking into them.

Let me know what else you learn, I say this because the more I use a mac, the more I find, and it's been close to ten years.

I had a question for you, what did you mean by "  I see no differance as the interface goes but it has been extremely smooth in operation."

aar, I'm going to split this topic, and name it " OSX experience  "

Was wondering what happened when I went to the other thread.

Any way, Firefox in general, I just could not get to like in Windows.  Just kept having to go back to IE7/8.  Don't know what it was.  Now in Mac  firefox just seems to be smoother and quicker.  I think that was the problem in windows.  Even with the hacks to speed up Firefox it still just seemed to lag as speed went.  That or because Safari does not work for one of my sites I'm or less forced to use Firefox.  I like.

I did manage to get XP running in Parallels last night.  When it came up after install it was a little confusing/alarming.  I'm sitting there looking at my Mac desktop, XP task bar along the bottom and the Mac finder across the top.  Thought something was wrong at first.  Dropped the mouse to the bottom and the Mac dock appears, had it set to auto hide.  Internet in XP worked perfectly, was able to move files and drives freely between XP virtual and Mac.  Have not tried USB thumb drives or SD/CF cards yet.  Hopefully they will work as I need those for work stuff.

Overall I would say that I can now do 99% of my work with out having to touch a strictly windows PC of any kind.  The world that we live in is a Microsoft world.  Yes there is ways around Microsoft software, some works better others not so well but sooner or later there will be a compromise.  I do like this laptop/Mac and even with a few minor freezes it has been a fawless transition.

For people that are in the same business as myself, copier repair connectivity, I would say to get a Mac if you can afford it.  In the past to print from a Mac you had to have a Post Script printer a transfer the file to windows or Linux.  Now it is possible to print to nearly any HP compatible printer.  Also it was difficult to scan to a Mac from a MFD unless you went with Scan to e-mail or FTP some place.  Now it is possible to scan directly to a Mac through SMB scanning.  I support KonicaMinolta and Savin/Ricoh copiers.  So if their or other techs out there with questions let know.  If I cannot answer them I can point you to a forum that is specific to that subject, off list of course.

Again Mac's have come a long way and I liking this one more and more.  Now if they can just get cheaper for a new one.

You put a smile on my face. Because so many people listen to what others say about macs, even if they have has there hands on one, unless that USE it, then there is no understanding.

aar, I'm thinking you'll like VMware better then parallels, I do, and Iv'e used both , extensively. VMware uses much less system resources. And integrates the windows environment much smoother.

It sounds as if you have installed the toolkit, and are running the OS's layered on top of each other. Cool, but can get a bit confusing at first.

Have you ever use "CUPS" to associate all the printers ?   goto  "http://localhost:631" It's your local print server.

Have not tried that yet.  I've got to agree are the statement about people not using something and complaining about it.  Another statement that makes a lot of sense that I came across is along the lines of, it does not matter the OS as long as the Applications you are using get the job done for you. 

In the past the I never really considered a Mac good for the home or typical business.  Mainly because of the lack of software being easily available.  Could not walk into the local department store to get any.  But it was great for graphics and such.  Now it is a good home/personal computer for anyone tired of windows.  Admittedly I like windows but admit it does have problems.  This Mac has the same specs as my old Vista laptop and it so much faster and smoother.  I'm still not a convert yet but it is getting close.

I'll be checking both the Vmware and the local print server out as I get used to the Mac.  Had to get Parallals working because I told the boss I needed to install windows.  So since it was paid for I'll use it for awhile as I work with Vmware to see which I like better.

You doing what you do with printers , I'm thinking that CUPS will be nothing less then a major asset to you. It is to me, and I don't deal with printers every day like yourself.

Just post whatever you find, like I said earlier, there's more I run into most all the time.  You might want to look into "automator" , as well, just type it in spotlight.

Just wanted to chime in again at least one more time.  First I wanted to thank you for the all the advise.  Went ahead and installed XP in Boot Camp to get full functionality for some propierity software for work.  It was very straight forward and XP is working beautifully, though I think I'm going to stay on the Mac side for the experience.  I have checked the other links you pointed me towards, and I think the local CUPS will come in handy.  Again thanks.  Take care fellow Buckeye.