Isolated Ping Problem

oreo27

I usually get 377ms (it's awkward but it seems it's always at that number)  ping although I have a 1mb/s line which pretty much does what it says it should at 120kb/s while downloading. I've used numerous tweaking utilities and as I type in this post I'll try to stick to the rules and searched but mine seems like an isolated problem. Hope you guys can help me out. I'd really like to play online games.

Following VanBuren' guide...

1.I'm using Windows XP Service Pack 3.

2.My Internet Service Provider is Globe Broadband 1mb/s download, no upload speed advertised here in our country as far as I know (Philippines, Asia).

3.I'm currently using the settings from Speed Guide TCP Optimizer. Set at optimal settings for 1024 kbps. I'm also using Cfosspeed set at automatic mode. Results are as follows :

http://www.dslreports.com/tweakr/block:16ac1a2?service=dsl&speed=1000&os=winXP&via=normal

4.Various Test Results

*:::.. testmy.net test results ..:::

Download Connection is:: 391 Kbps about 0.39 Mbps (tested with 1024 kB)

Download Speed is:: 48 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 237 Kbps about 0.2 Mbps (tested with 386 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 29 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net (Main)

Test Time:: 2009/06/15 - 7:25am

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-J62QUSE38

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-YOKUGTXAS

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.11) Gecko/2009060215 Firefox/3.0.11 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) [!]

*TCP/Web100 Network Diagnostic Tool v5.5.4a

click START to begin

** Starting test 1 of 1 **

Connected to: nitro.ucsc.edu  --  Using IPv4 address

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Done

checking for firewalls . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Done

running 10s outbound test (client-to-server [C2S]) . . . . . 273.0kb/s

running 10s inbound test (server-to-client [s2C]) . . . . . . 713.56kb/s

Your PC is connected to a Cable/DSL modem

*Fourth test Tracert and Ping program (made by php) could not be loaded. The page says I'm not allowed to access the page. I'm logged in.

5.I have removed all unnecessary prtocols

6.I have ensured nothing is checked

7.I have made sure I have the latest drivers for my NIC and that I have set the duplex correctly.

8.I have power cycled my modem multiple times in the past few days and I did it just now.

9.I have Avira Anti Virus Personal and Malwarebytes Anti Malware. Both turned up clean.

10.My firewall is Windows' default firewall, and it's turned off.

11.I will now turn on Window's default firewall.

12.I have already scanned with Avira, results are clean.

13.I run Microsoft update weekly and just now 0 available updates.

14.I have Ccleaner and ran it now.

15.I have opted to use version 9 of VanBuren testmy.net for xp_2k dsl, mtu 1492 since I think my modem is PPPoE

Here are the final results

Pinging testmy.net [74.54.226.166] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 74.54.226.166: bytes=32 time=286ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 74.54.226.166:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 286ms, Maximum = 286ms, Average = 286ms

I'd really appreciate if anyone can help me out regarding this. More Power!

I couldn't find the edit button so here goes. I'm sad that no one helped me regarding this matter. I'm pretty sure everyone is so busy answering others' questions. Anyway, it's a good thing they didn't because it's not the registry of my operating system that was causing the near to death slowness of my latency, it's something else like maybe the modem settings, my isp etc etc. I know this because i tested it out on a newly formatted notebook. Moderator please lock this thread. thanks.

Well we aren't exactly like other forums that lock solved topics, especially when this topic isn't solved yet.  I'm not sure how I missed this one, it's a rarity for me. lol

aar, w/o searching, what is your ISP, I didn't catch that anywhere. What are your advertised speeds, or what are you supposed to be getting.

What are you doing that you notice the ping latency,  Iv'e seen many people with decent speeds, and cruddy pings. Sometimes inexplicable.

2.My Internet Service Provider is Globe Broadband 1mb/s download, no upload speed advertised here in our country as far as I know (Philippines, Asia).

Anyways, it's okay. I'm quite aware how mods are busy doing a lot of things. I noticed it while I was playing online games. Maybe it was something I did with the modem (PROLiNK Hurricane 5200 Modem/Router).

Looks like you've done your homework, and done quite a few adjustments, which would lead us to believe it's not in your system.  maybe try several different cablenut packages here on testmy.net, or have you tried several of them already. I know sometimes a ccs file that has been set for your specific connection, will not be as efficient as something that is made for something entirely different.

Just for testing,maybe try a wide range of files for cablenut, try the fastest connection file you can find, see what happens. I wish I has more for you.

Over the course of a few hours, I've managed to try almost all of the settings of Van Buren (Version 9) to no avail.

I've concluded that:

1. My system nor it's registry is not the one at fault.

2. It may be the modem that's causing this unresolved issue.

3. My ISP's lack of support is not only normal, it's a trend that all ISPs here in my country follow.

4. I look exactly like this emoticon right now  :uglystupid2:

*I've already used several machines with freshly installed XP (SP 3), Vista (SP 2) even 7 (RC 7100) which all came to 300ms

With all that being said, do you think you can help me "reconfigure" my modem? I mean I have all the passwords and access to it.

I'm not sure what help I would be in assist you in doing this, remember, I haven't had any hands on experience with a modem from globe, or there systems. So if you decide to make major changes within the modem, be prepared. Take snapshots of all pages in the modem configuration, write down everything you see that has an option of personal interest, such as account information and such that might not be there if you need to clear the modem to original status.

There will be no connection if you change something your not sure of, so there will be no one to help.

Maybe just read up on changing different settings within the modem, then make minor changes one at a time, so you can change them back if you lose connection.