a question of which modem is better

sinister666

ok ppl, ive read alot of usefull info on this site, you all seem to know alot more than i do, and thats hard for me to admit, but you all seem very informed about internet tweaking and equipment use....hopefully someone can answer this for me...i have 2 different dsl modems and am not sure what one to use or if it makes any difference at all. i have a motorola mstatea 2210-02-1022 dsl modem and a siemens speedstream 4100 dsl modem. is there any difference in performance from one to the other? does it make any diff at all as to what one i use? i consider myself to be pretty well self educated at the art of fixing computer problems and general hardware issues but this is something i am not well educated on, thats why i am now a member of this wonderful forum, i have learned alot in my short time here and hope to learn more. so, can anyone out there help me to answer this question? motorola or siemens speedstream? they both came from at&t and i didnt pay for either of them. any input is greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

Well if it were me, and I had tested at, or above my ISP cap, then I would leave it alone, (if I had done all the adjustments that I could) unless one had features that I needed that the other one didn't.

Or I would use the one that was most recent. But that doesn't always mean more efficient either. lol

well im just wondering because i got the two modems sittin here. i dont geet my dsl turned on the 18th and im just curious if anyone knows anything about either one before i hook them up. but of coarse when i get my service turned on i will test them both here to see if there is any diff. the only thing i have come across so far after doing a bit of research is alot of ppl complaining about the motorola brand gettin really hot. and after looking at it i can see why, there is no ventilation on it, the siemens brand modem has all kinds of ventilation, but im not real sure if a hot modem has any bearing on the actual performance. so i guess i just wait another day and a half and find out. and like i said, i will be on here testing the both of them when i get my service turned on so i will post what i come up with for anyone that may be interested.

The DSL company will surely bring out a modem when they do the install.  You can't just switch out a modem, the MAC addy has to be set in the ISP's servers, otherwise the data will have no idea where to go. Kinda.

When you first get DSL, they tell you NOT to unplug the modem for a specified period of time, this allows there servers to regulate the distance, and performance, and plenty of other things I have no idea about. So once they get it installed, leave it alone, if you don't , then you'll never know your full potential of bandwidth, from the way I understand it.  There will be a huge sticker on the new modem they bring that states this.

When you switch the modem, your going to have to call the ISP, and tell them the make, model, and MAC, they must type this in, or you will have no connection.

On Telus DSL in British Columbia. They have automated the modem's MAC address authentication. Plug in and start surfing. It is good for two MAC address's. And I think the unused MAC address will expire in two hours or so. But you can interface with the website to delete MAC's if there is a problem with an old MAC not releasing.

So when the day comes to get service, there is about a day's worth of unstable speeds, unless the tech did not have to go to the node to switch you on to a different port for a higher speed package. Since DSL is slowly upgrading to faster ports. And if they run out of higher speed ports for new customers? Well tough, till some upgrades are made to remove the older cards.

And Telus also likes to give out a combo modem/router to alleviate call supports dealing with a modem and then a router of the customers choosing. So since the Siemens Gigaset SE567 was a piece of crap with the 'Telus firmware' version. I now have a modem only, Thomson Speedtouch ST516v6 , And my own router.

And if the DSL modem can not train(stay connected) to your faster speed package, due to line noise or distance, support can throttle your speed back to achieve a stable speed.

And some DSL ISP's have only certain modems that work on their particular DSL setup.

Isnt muddy dreamy!  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: Of course Zalt is too, but hes too good for man loving.  :evil6:

Maybe cause I'm kind of sleepy right now. Chocolate bars and cookies are wearing off.. Thought I'd Google  Man Loving . And this is not a photoshop.  :evil6: