what speedtest do i believe?

sinister666

so, i got a question.....what speed test should i believe? when i test my speeds here, i get a consistant reading of around 5mbs bownload and .8 upload. now when i go to dslreports, i get consistant readings of 3mbs download and .6 upload. whos test is telling me the truth? or is it something to do with the distance i am away from the test server? im just curious...

ok, nevermind, i just answered my own question. i went to a third test, i wont list the name but it read the same as what this site tells me. dslreports speedtest must be a little inaccurate. so i figure if this site and the other one say the same thing, that makes the third one wrong. so im trusting this sites test results.

so, i got a question.....what speed test should i believe? when i test my speeds here, i get a consistant reading of around 5mbs bownload and .8 upload. now when i go to dslreports, i get consistant readings of 3mbs download and .6 upload. whos test is telling me the truth? or is it something to do with the distance i am away from the test server? im just curious...

You need to use Java based test on DSL reports.

The flash based test is showing slow any time I've tried it. It shows 4000Kbps on my normal 5200Kbps connection. And the upload test is slightly slow too on flash.  Flash needs a disclaimer that Flash can skew(as in slow) the speed results.

yeah, thats nice. very nice. mine seems to be very consistant at around 5mbps, and i live right next door to the att central hub for my area, only about 1000 ft of wire from me to them. so i dont think i will have any issues with speed or reliability. its nice, im happy. and my brother has cable internet and he is only testing at 1mbps higher than my dsl connection. i thought that was kinda funny. but it sure beats the hell outta the wireless network that i was on, that crap was horrible, it was like 237kbps amd tested at .11mbps, i couldnt stand it, im happy now.

• 2 weeks later...

well there ya have it...that's ur answer then...tmn is the most accurate because we don't put all our testing energy into snazzy graphics...or other snazzy stuff like java and flash...just flat files...the only snazzy stuff we do is record ur results and allow u to turn them into images and store the results for a year for our members and allow u to compare urself to other users and other isp's

oh and we have this nifty friendly forum...others may have a forum...but ours is friendly...nobody will ever make a member here feel like a dummy for asking a question...

k...nuff of the advertising...and don't ask me how much i get paid for that

well it is the friendliest place ive been to...mighty nice and mighty helpful ppl on this site i must say...and you get paid for that? hey, i can advertise too, and i wouldnt charge much...haha...im cheap, a bottle of faygo moon mist and a single cigarette would keep me happy.  :grin:

well it is the friendliest place ive been to...mighty nice and mighty helpful ppl on this site i must say...and you get paid for that?

nah (i was just kidding)...it's all volunteer here...nobody gets charged...nobody gets paid...that's how it keeps going and going and going...

oh wait...the advertisers pay :haha: :haha:

but tmn advertises by word of mouth...

nah (i was just kidding)...it's all volunteer here...nobody gets charged...nobody gets paid...that's how it keeps going and going and going...

oh wait...the advertisers pay :haha: :haha:

but tmn advertises by word of mouth...

wait...if noone pays, then why have i been sending payment checks to tommie and shug?  lol just kidding.

but yeah for a free site this is the best example of any site on the net, free or not. friendly, helpful, reliable.  :grin:

lol tommie.  i thought we was together on the shake downs of other members  :wink:you can do pixie's shakedown  :2funny:

That all sounds doable.  :lol:

yeah the modify button i seem to always hit quote, then almost post 2 or 3 times in a row

Yeah, ain't that the shits, no reason to just do it once. Quote, quote and quote again. >>>>...  :lol: