Upload speed is terrible

spudler_t

all of a sudden my upload speed is about 10 to 20 % of comcast normal. I am confused as to what may have happened. I tested on both my old laptop using XP and my new one using Vista 64. My download speed is about 10 to 12 MBPS about normal maybe a little slower than used to be.

I also noticed on my new laptop with Vista my wireles shows 12 MBPS where on my XP one it is 54 MBPS I know my router is limited to 54 what can I change on my Vista system to get my wireless back to 54??

so i kinda have 2 questions,what happened to my upload for all computers and what can I do on my Vista System to improve upload and download and set my wireless to be a 54 like my system is supposed to be??

But mostly I want to know how to fix my upload because it affects every computer I have.

share2-XZ3QJD6R2&dual=yes&q2=6QJHF7TE5

this was my test just a sec ago and this is on my Vista system with now adjustments justnew computer with Vista 64 and all of the windows updates and HP updates so all my updates are up to date but no tweaking of any kind

I gues I should let ya know what it is

It is a HP Pavilion DV7-1285 dx with Intel Centrino core 2 duo P8600 2.4 GHz processor

6144 DDR2 SDRAM

nvidia GeForce 9600M GT with 512 DDR dedicated Graphics memory

My other one is a Compaq Presario 2700

Intel pentium III 1.0 GHZ processor

768 Mb memory

and it has the same basic internet speed as the new one so I believe the issue may be in my router or my modem if ya need more info let me know

oh ya my Compaq is running XP and it is all set up with the SG TCP optimizer which worked great as you can see from my Sig and that setting is still the same but now I am getting the speed I posted in the above Post.

so I am getting a very slow upload speed with my XP system also.

and the settings are the same as were when getting the Sig speed so any suggestions??

thanks

share2-98IHZJW3D&dual=yes&q2=ZG8IXPAV4

This is off of my old laptop with XP I have no Idea what is causing the Upload to be so slow.

I know alot of stuff affects the download but what specifically affects upload speed because something here is way out of adjustment because I believe my comcast speeds are 16Megs download and 3 megs upload I believe that is the plan I have anyway I know its not the lowest one but not the Highest one they have either.

so any Ideas anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

share2-A2WFNCQRB&dual=yes&q2=8VQ9EAC3X

Ok here I am with a reboot of both Cable modem my wireless router and I even rebooted my laptop and made sure firewall was off just to make sure that wasn't it.

has anyone ever had the modem or router go bad on the upload side?? or do they normally just go bad on both upload and download.

I am really frustrated here cause I have no idea what to check or what to adjust for this like i said every setting is the same as it was when I did the test that I put in my Sig.

any Ideas would be greatly appreciated and just to clear up any confusion this test is done on the laptop that I did the sig test on and it is running XP and is wireless.

Thanks again for any suggestions or help it is greatly appreciated.

I am willing to buy a new router if needed or take back modem to comcast and get a new one if ya think that would help.

The memory stack has nothing to do with throughput , with vista from what I gather about the way they adjust everything within the registry area is all dynamic, which changes on the fly , I guess.

Bt there is a tweak here for vista, that has help many people get better control over that.

Follow this link that VanBuren made for the world to enjoy Vista TCP tweak , Iv'e used it myself on a system of my own, it made a difference, not considerable, but enough to make it well worth implementing. Others have posted huge results, try it.

OK thanks i will try that on my new one. I just wish I knew why my upload took a dump. I am okay with the download varying from 14 to 12 its still fast but with that slow of a upload its has to be affecting my internet speed because the slower i send back info the slower it can respond to my requests. and it is about 10 % or worse of what I used to get for upload and it seems to be a global problem no matter which computer I am on so it has to be a router or modem issue cause that is the variable thats stays the same here I am always using the same router and modem I will try one that is not wireless real quick and see if that may be a issue I never thought about that variable.

share2-JC9PMO7K8&dual=yes&q2=GXUTEWZ40

ok here is the oldest and slowest computer in the house but this one is wired to the router (no wireless) and  I still get the same results this is XP also I guess I need to check the router and cable modem.

First since I am renting the modem from comcast I will exchange it for a new one.

Then if that don't work I will get a new router.

I don't see where any software or adjustments can be made because 3 diffrent computers using diffrent OS and 2 diffrent ways to get online ( wireless VS wired)

and all have basiclally same speeds it has to be a router,modem or comcast themselves issue. thanks I'll keep ya posted on the findings in case anyone else has this issue.

I cannot believe I forgot that part I just contacted comcast and of course they told me it was my router so I bypassed the router same exact results so it has to be the modem so of course they are closed already today. I will go in monday and exchange it for a new one hopefully that will fix it. I will let ya all know what happens thanks for the replies

Technology is so much fun...

But I was on a wireless ISP where they had a system 'glitch'. Eventually they only blamed that something happened with their email service. B.S...... But at the same time I put a Dlink Ethernet card in my computer to try to stabilize/increase the speeds. Well guess what? The card bypassed my set speed high from the ISP and gave me speeds 5 to 10 times faster. Meanwhile the onboard ethernet port , my speeds were at the capped speed. And within 2 days the Ethernet card was back to the capped speed.

It's probably a Comcast problem. I'm having similar speed issues, only both upload and download speeds are affected. After calling up to ask why my speeds hadn't been upgraded from 8 Mbps to 12 Mbps, they actually dropped to around 6 Mbps. Technician came out... did all of the usual stuff... no joy. He even swapped out my modem with one of their new DOCSIS 3 modems... no difference. He left without fixing the problem, saying that he would submit a line ticket. I'm guessing that it's related to the speed upgrade they did, and that some of us are going to get screwed for a while.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

you know a funny thing. I know last post was in June of 09 but this has been an ongoing situiation to same issue on same internet subbscription.

the first one was a modem Issue but all the weird issues that have follewed which acted exactly like the modem issue to the T were all caused by my router. I had no Idea a router would still work and fluctuate in such a way as to be faulty but still work in a low speed capability.

I alwasy thought they would either work or not work not they would work in a slower then dial up speed at times.

I changed my router out with a belkin N router which was on sale for $60 an now I get average about 20-30 Meg download and 10+ Meg upload.

• CA3LE locked this topic