Cablenut?

theelviscerator

Well seems kinda like a bandaid when you probably have systemwide issues you need to correct,

A properly set up system (clean) should never need a "tweak" to get  normal bw out of a modem.

But if it helps the novices more power to em...

yea, sometimes there is systemwide issues that need to be fixed, no tweak can fix a overloaded node...

you are very incorrect when you claim "A properly set up system (clean) should never need a "tweak" to get  normal bw out of a modem."

may i ask where you got that information?

VanBuren :)

I cant tell you the number of times I was amazed at someones barely alive computer, ( they always sign up for HSD thinking you will fix their PC for them while you are at it, believe me, ......  after I ran a new drop with proper wiring to the modem, just rip right to the cap for all the bw they are supposed to get......

Personal experience having built hundreds of pcs AND was a Comcast Contractor installing HSD for about one year.......

If your line is good to the house and the pc is in normally even fair shape you will bump against your caps..

I know my 3.2 test doesnt seem high,, but I am on a 3.0/256 cap right now...No tweaks..

I live in the boonies and wont see the upgrade till the last  (on Comcast)...

Where do you get your opinion?

building pc

I see you dodged my questions though.

I could take your tack...moderating a forum doesnt speed up your connection either! :-P

Yes I run through a netgear wgt624 on a 10/100 card .............

I used to run speedguide tweaks back in the theys of 98...but since xp I dont find they help much..

i dont need to dodge, you asked me where i got my information, do you want more?

I never claimed that Moderating forums speed up any connection, however i asked you where you got your information and you answered me "having built hundreds of pcs"

so whats your point?

VanBuren :)

Well seems kinda like a bandaid when you probably have systemwide issues you need to correct,

A properly set up system (clean) should never need a "tweak" to get  normal bw out of a modem.

But if it helps the novices more power to em..

I see you dodged my questions though.

I could take your tack...moderating a forum doesnt speed up your connection either! :-P

Yes I run through a netgear wgt624 on a 10/100 card .............

I used to run speedguide tweaks back in the days of 98...but since xp I dont find they help much..

2 Days ago.

Friend, on XP home.

Running fully updated Norton Antivirus 2004.

Running fully updated Adaware Professional SE w/ Subscription.

Running fully updated drivers on ALL hardware ( avaliable to him that is )

Taking speed tests to:

- various different sites.

- various different states.

- various  different  types of tests

Advertised speeds of 5000/ 768:

All tests came up as a connection not exceeding more then 25 kbs download, 45 upload.

His NIC card set from every possible duplex settings, with and w/o flow control. Results remained 25kb/45kb.

~ I simply slipped him a copy of Cablenut with my own personal settings, ( mod'ed off vanburens ) told him to hit save, and reboot.

He did. Came back,  re- tested,  getting 4.9/ 736

That right there is enough proof that cablenut helps. As for me personaly, no. Wether i have a cablenut tweak installed or not i do not see a major difference, but for alot of folks there is a noticable improvement.

'nuff said.

Hi all: I thought I would get in this .I beleive tweaking has helped my speed.theelviscerator

I have 56K dial-up. The phone company says the best I can expect at 26800 ft from telco is 28 to 30K.I have speeds above this almost always.Sometimes far above it .So I beleive tweaking helps.Van Buren has helped a lot of members improve speed so he knows how to do it for most connections.Of course tweaking won't help a dirty system if you leave it dirty DUH. If you don't like Van Burens advice then don't take it! A new drop line will always help but try to get a phone company to do this if they don't think anything is wrong with the old one according to their test.Even if it has been there 30 years.  Cholla

So we can assume that a properly set up new system with a brand new high-speed connection is automatically optimized?  How naive is that?

Is a car fresh off the factory floor better in stock form than if it was tweaked?  Will a brand new TV look better with the factory settings or after a certified technician adjusts it?  Does a video card perform best fresh out of the box with no tweaks or adjustments?

Come to think of it I cannot think of anything remotely complex that performs at its peak without any adjustments.

But really, it was very cool of you to go out of your way to come here to insult someone that devotes countless hours of his time helping people with their Internet woes. 

Wait, I thought of another example.  You came out of your mother

I can say from personal experience that tweaking DOES help.  Before/after comcast upgraded, i was only hitting about 1.5-2mbps.  When i used drtcp, that helped my connection speed up.  Then i used cablenut and noticed a good result in performance.  Almost no system will automatically tweak to your connection's setting for optimal results.  Hell, reduce the rwin and you'll get slower speeds. 

Another tweak story would be my computer =P.  Using "stock" is a lot slower than customizing the entire system for EXACTLY what you have in your system.  Everything's stock, which can be viewed as the default settings that will work with ALL situations/computers, not a select few.

But if it helps the novices more power to em...

;) I think it may be important to point out that you are giving your opinion which I find wrong, and of course there are many others that will also disagree with you. In the past week I setup one brand new system from the factory and by "tweaking" increased the speed by about 30%, the next system was a laptop by Sony after a format and clean install the speed was almost doubled, the third system after format and clean install ((XP)) speed was tested and noted after some simple tweaks the speed was over doubled........of course if you look back to the very beginning of this forum you will see many times when my own computer's speed was also over doubled by tweaks.....are you really saying that an RWIN value of 17xxx ( on an XP from a one size fits all idea) is as fast as an RWIN value of 64xxx up to 256xxx ? if you are I find it strange that you could believe this....but of course you are allowed to your opinion even though the majority of ppl will disagree with you.....  are you now in defense of your incorrect statement also call me a novice???  Or is the real  truth that you just enjoy being disagreeable with members of this forum???? If I may offer a suggestion if  the info being given out on this site is not to your liking it may better serve you to start your own testing and help site, certainly a seasoned tech with over ten years of experience could make a site that could be useful to many ppl just like yourself....... I humbly await your esteemed responce, even though I know there is not a valid argument against what I have said that will not stop you.....

8)Microwave

Vanny needs no defending here. His work in here speaks for itself, we all know that. This man/woman, who has built hundreds of pc's, wires his own house in the boonies(hey I saw you in Deliverence), worked for comcast blah blah blah is entitled to his opinion.

Even though we all know the 411. And all of Vannies thousands(in my best Rock voice) and thousands of fans know this.

<--------wow, almost famous. I'll be a pimpette soon.

Vanny needs no defending here. His work in here speaks for itself, we all know that. This man/woman, who has built hundreds of pc's, wires his own house in the boonies(hey I saw you in Deliverence), worked for comcast blah blah blah is entitled to his opinion.

Even though we all know the 411. And all of Vannies thousands(in my best Rock voice) and thousands of fans know this.

<--------wow, almost famous. I'll be a pimpette soon.

:haha: Thats why

+1 to tweaking.

I was showing off my 4Mbps download in an irc channel (which I'm op of =)) and a person asked what service I had.  I said Comcast and that I had a 4000/384 cap.  When I gave him giganew's speed test as well as testmy.net's test, he only hit 1.5Mbps on both (and the giganews one is very accurate).  So i had him use microsoft's antispyware to get rid of junk, then install cablenut.  After i gave him the 3000/128 ccs file (I didn't know his speed), he restarted and test against.  I believe he got 3400 or so (maybe more).  Now going from 1.5Mbps to 3.4Mbps is a huge difference (about what I hit when i used cablenut).  So tweaking is *RECOMMENDED* even if you're computer is ok.  It's almost like the equalizer of a stereo.  I've had someone tell me that if your speakers are good, you shouldn't have to adjust settings... HA.  Messing with the equalizer gives you an overall better sound if done correctly =P.

:haha: Thats why  Stank_Ho is such a sweet gal, comes right to the point to help our new "friend" see the lite. what a Fuc*#@g lady... L0L

8) Microwave

Finally, someone who can look past my morbidly grotesque, utterly disgusting putrid features and see my inner beauty. Ah, Micro, if I were 30 years older... :shock:

• 2 weeks later...

Well..bandaid or not..I was getting no better than 2800's download on a 4000 down cap .

After some serious tweaking(Using cable Nut of Course) this looks much better.

I definately am a believer!

Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 4256 Kbps about 4.3 Mbps (tested with 2992 KB)

Download Speed is:: 519 KB/s

Tested From:: http://www.testmy.net/

Test Time:: Tue Mar 8 23:27:09 EST 2005

Bottom Line:: 76X faster than 56K 1MB download in 1.97 sec

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 36.19 % faster than the average for host (comcast.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-JSG3HCB59

Hey Vanburen I installed cablenut and your file MSS 1460  the 4000/512 file on my Comcast 4000/384 connection and it seems slower if anything....

what file should I be using?

This is latest test after tweak and reboot...

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 4160 Kbps about 4.2 Mbps (tested with 5983 KB)

Download Speed is:: 508 KB/s

Test Time:: Thu Mar 10 14:09:49 EST 2005

Bottom Line:: 74X faster than 56K 1MB download in 2.02 sec

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 33.08 % faster than the average for host (Comcast.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-00U6B5JOD

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 367 Kbps about 0.4 Mbps (tested with 579 KB)

Upload Speed is:: 45 KB/s

Test Time:: Thu Mar 10 14:12:06 EST 2005

Bottom Line:: 7X faster than 56K 1MB upload in 22.76 sec

Diagnosis: Looks Great : 10.54 % faster than the average for host (Comcast.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-91HLRONSM

try google :P