External Hard Drive Recommendations

monsnet2k8

I need recommendations on a new External Hard Drive.

I will appreciate any input that you may want to share with me.

I've read lots of reviews and yet I still haven't found the right one.

I will use it to store pictures and some video, it can be

from 500GB to 1TB or if there's a reliable 2TB drive......

In other words, which is the best External Hard Drive out there?

Budget for drive $300

Western Digital has something called there "world book" , I have a 1TB and just sold two 500 GB mybook's, the world books are connected via ethernet, and has a nice interface to control connections, users permissions, static IP, you can stream movies , music to anything you set up. Also comes with memeo backup software, and a nice online suite.  It works well. The "mybook" is cool to , connects via usb, esata, and firewire. Never had any issues with either.

Western Digital has something called there "world book" , I have a 1TB and just sold two 500 GB mybook's, the world books are connected via ethernet, and has a nice interface to control connections, users permissions, static IP, you can stream movies , music to anything you set up. Also comes with memeo backup software, and a nice online suite.  It works well. The "mybook" is cool to , connects via usb, esata, and firewire. Never had any issues with either.

Thanks mudmanc4 The world Book sounds good, but I need it for storage only. as for the mybook sounds good too, but I've read bad reviews on the eSata. my computer is eSata ready and would love to use it cause I've read that its super fast, I'm inclining to the My Book at this moment

Thanks Coknuck

Lots of potential from that site. Its hard to pick.

This is the external harddrive that I have been using since last January. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817173042  You install your own harddrive into it. Right now I have a Western Digital 640GB drive in it. It has hookups for USB and eSata. The fan in it is a little noisy and the blue lights are a little on the bright side, other then that it has worked with out any problems. I use it to triple boot Vista [ internal harddrive ]  Windows7 and Ubuntu OS's on the external harddrive.

This is the external harddrive that I have been using since last January. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817173042  You install your own harddrive into it. Right now I have a Western Digital 640GB drive in it. It has hookups for USB and eSata. The fan in it is a little noisy and the blue lights are a little on the bright side, other then that it has worked with out any problems. I use it to triple boot Vista [ internal harddrive ]  Windows7 and Ubuntu OS's on the external harddrive.

Wow!! Looks like an awesome buy! I'm going to try it.

Thanks Buntz! the info is very helpful. :cool:

I've had extremely good luck out of the WESTERN DIGITAL MY BOOK series (Essential and Home).

These drives are quiet and spin down after a while after not accessing any data.

All the ones I have utilize the WD "GREEN" drives in them.

I have a 500, 750, and 1TB.  I have 2 ESSENTIALS that have USB only.

the 750 is the :HOME: edition which includes USB, Firewire, and ESATA.

Deals all the time on these.  I have $109 for the 1TB edition at a local BESTBUY.

Check online. prices differ every week!

I have NEVER owned a  SEAGATE external drive.

WOW> 8 TB? A friggin library.  :lol:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822101110

I love the comments.

" Enough space for anything, in fact I uploaded my conscience into it. "

" I can download the internet now. "

"If you really need 8Tb of space, your either in business and can afford it, or extremely finicky about absolutely refusing under any circumstances including being responsible for world war three or four or punching kittens in the face to be caught emptying your recycle bin... "

:2funny:

I've had extremely good luck out of the WESTERN DIGITAL MY BOOK series (Essential and Home).

These drives are quiet and spin down after a while after not accessing any data.

All the ones I have utilize the WD "GREEN" drives in them.

I have a 500, 750, and 1TB.  I have 2 ESSENTIALS that have USB only.

the 750 is the :HOME: edition which includes USB, Firewire, and ESATA.

Deals all the time on these.  I have $109 for the 1TB edition at a local BESTBUY.

Check online. prices differ every week!

I have NEVER owned a  SEAGATE external drive.

Thanks.. I just found the:

Western Digital - My Book Home 1TB External FireWire/USB 2.0/eSATA Hard Drive for Sale: $139.99

Western Digital - My Book Essential 1TB External Hard Drive Sale: $119.99

The Essential has better reviews than the eSATA Version..

WOW> 8 TB? A friggin library.  :lol:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822101110

I love the comments.

" Enough space for anything, in fact I uploaded my conscience into it. "

" I can download the internet now. "

"If you really need 8Tb of space, your either in business and can afford it, or extremely finicky about absolutely refusing under any circumstances including being responsible for world war three or four or punching kittens in the face to be caught emptying your recycle bin... "

:2funny:

Funny!! But in my case, I do need lots of space. I'm a photographer and also tape weddings. I shoot all my pictures in RAW format and each file is from 12MB to 15MB and each shoot I take from 300 to 400 pics,  Not counting the JPEG files which are about 7 to 9MB each..

I did about 60GB in one year plus the old pictures amount to about 300gb's (I didn't convert all the pictures to jpeg) plus video files that take 8GB  Per event (after being edited and burned) and I have dozens of events stored up and the ones to come..

Really I found one at my Local Wal-mart. It was a Segate, It was like 250 gig and Paid 60 bucks for it. Its really small. Would fit in a front pocket easy enough. Its Usb and The transfers are really decent. Maybe a Gig a Min??  I may someday get another one. To best describe it, its kinda between a usb stick and Those Kinda big backup drives you see people use.

Xp and Windows 7 Both pick right up on the drive when I plug it into my usb port. Just after thinking about it, Why pay 125 bucks for something that big that holds so much information. Sadly hard drives do go bad. So I went smaller, Cheep, And really the best way to back up is to a dvd IMHO. I keep all my important stuff on My backup Harddrive and DVD. Just in case. Just a thought. Have a nice day.

That small drive sounds interesting, but it doesn't serve my purposes.

I've added 160GB of new Video and Pictures in only one month.

I do back up on DVD its always a good policy to back up on various formats.

I have a few hard drives with everything I own of data and the most important files on DVD.

I believe that anything under 1TB is safer to store data from the reviews I've read.

I might buy smaller drives to store by categories such as pictures, music etc...

Really I found one at my Local Wal-mart. It was a Segate, It was like 250 gig and Paid 60 bucks for it. Its really small. Would fit in a front pocket easy enough. Its Usb and The transfers are really decent. Maybe a Gig a Min??  I may someday get another one. To best describe it, its kinda between a usb stick and Those Kinda big backup drives you see people use.

Xp and Windows 7 Both pick right up on the drive when I plug it into my usb port. Just after thinking about it, Why pay 125 bucks for something that big that holds so much information. Sadly hard drives do go bad. So I went smaller, Cheep, And really the best way to back up is to a dvd IMHO. I keep all my important stuff on My backup Harddrive and DVD. Just in case. Just a thought. Have a nice day.

Yes, I'm with you there, if it's important to ya, then burn the puppy, we all know mechanical drives fail.

Is the drive your talkin about a small laptop drive in an enclosure, or close to it ?  I have one like that, it's great for when I go out to a client, and I need to compress, and move data so I can do a reformat, there priceless :)

Just saw this thread so I hope you've gotten your external by now. I would've warned you that newegg is having a 10% off deal for hard drives this weekend(maximum only $10). I think it ends tonight, monday night. I just bought my first external hard drive off newegg. I got the 500GB seagate freeagent desk for $58 with free shipping.

This was a cheaper version but seagate has a better line with more connection ports and such.

I haven't yet.. No time on my hands at the moment to get it.

I'm getting the Western Digital - My Book Home 1TB External FireWire/USB 2.0/eSATA Hard Drive for Sale: $139.99

I have about $15 in rewards money, plus a $5 gift card. I will try the eSata connection.

Thanks to everyone who provided suggestions in the matter. I appreciate it.

I will let you know how it words and if it was worth the decision I made..

I haven't yet.. No time on my hands at the moment to get it.

I'm getting the Western Digital - My Book Home 1TB External FireWire/USB 2.0/eSATA Hard Drive for Sale: $139.99

I have about $15 in rewards money, plus a $5 gift card. I will try the eSata connection.

Thanks to everyone who provided suggestions in the matter. I appreciate it.

I will let you know how it words and if it was worth the decision I made..

Good choice. I'm not sure about the mybook, I don't remember, but the world book, is rais capable, it has a USB port that allows you to connect any other drive to configure in raid /whatever

• 4 weeks later...