ATT/Cingular Broadband

generallee76

Can anyone tell me where ATT/Cingular wireless Broadband stands in relationship to Verizon Broadband wireless modems?  I am trying to see if the services are apples for apples.  I looking for something other than satellite as my ISP,  to be a constant speed or closer than what I have.

Well, since dumping Hughes, I have been searching for a wireless broadband card.

AT&T doesn't have any coverage here (at least not 3G, its the EDGE network which is no faster than dialup (but still wireless).

Sprint has NO coverage here.

VOILA! Verizon surprisingly had "BLUE" on all of its map for the entire town where I live.  3G.

If the signal is not good enough for Broadband (EVDO, REVISION A), then you get switched to "National Access" which is alot slower 100-200K.

AMAZINGLY, after tweaking some settings in the modem, I am staying on the EVDO A band (after staying on the "national" for a day after installed on my desktop".  I'm running about 1mbps consistently with 4 bars on the signal (inside the house).

SO, if you are considering mobile broadband, go to each site you're interested in, and pull up their coverage maps,

key in your EXACT address, then see what kind of coverage (if any) you are likely to receive.

AS ALWAYS, SPEEDS ARE NOT GUARANTEED!